Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: GP stopped prescribing HRT  (Read 8871 times)

Annier999

Re: GP stopped prescribing HRT
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2016, 06:06:59 PM »

I saw the GP today and all tests are clear so we know that the symptoms are entirely down to menopause. We looked at the risks for going back on HRT and have decided to give AD a try for a month.

If they help with the flashes and mood swings/ anxiety I hope I'll sleep better and in turn feel a bit more 'in the mood'. That's the theory anyway.

If no improvement in a month he wants to see me again and we can talk about HRT for another couple of years if I feel the risks are outweighed by the quality of life benefits.

I have to say I was really impressed with his approach and willingness to listen to me. I feel quite empowered and that there are options available to me.

Annier999

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2016, 06:11:14 PM »

I should also add that your help and support gave me the confidence to speak to him as an equal, rather than 'at his mercy', and I'm sure my positivity affected his attitude to me.

dazned

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2016, 07:05:02 PM »

Well done you !  It makes all the difference doesnt it just feeling that you've been listened to and taken seriously.

Here's hoping you get settled/sorted soon.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2016, 07:46:31 PM »

It is good that you feel that your recent appointment was more positive and hopefully your symptoms improve on the AD's , but one of the side effects of them is low libido.

However a better nights sleep and less anxiety may improve that area of you life anyway.

Hurdity

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2016, 05:52:56 PM »

Hi Annier999

I am glad that you are feeling positive and it helped you talk to your doc.  :great:

However I was a bit puzzled to read "we looked at the risks for going back on HRT" and wonder exactly what your doc said and what info he was using for this, and whethere this meant that you did not immediatley get the result you had originally hoped for earlier in the thread ie because your doctor rather than you, decided to stop prescribing your HRT?

My GP is also of the mind that at 60 I should not be on HRT and if I hadn't read about, it would have me believe I was about to get ovarian cancer and this is likely if I stay on it! This may or may not happen (hopefully not!) but she would be quite persuasive I imagine.

So from that point of view perhaps the outcome is not ideal and I agree with Tinkerbell - since one of the main reasons you wanted to go back on it was libido - reduced libido is well known as an effect of ADs.

The good news is you are going back in a month and hopefully you will feel better in the meantime. What AD have you been given? The other issue of course is coming off them but I know this can be tapered.

So good though that you are able to talk to your doc and be listened to - and I really hope you feel better soon whatever the outcome :)

Hurdity x

Annier999

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2016, 04:08:35 PM »

Latest update: I tried the AD (Citalopram) for a month and found little benefit. My GP has now prescribed HRT patches - Evorel Conti - for 3 months. I've been on them just about a week.

Hot flashes are not as frequent, seem less intense and don't last as long. Most nights I've been sweat free so sleep quality is getting more consistent. Not noticed any improvement in libido yet but I'm sure there is a cumulative effect with any hormone treatment, so early days yet.

It's reassuring that GPs will listen to us if only when we have confidence in our position and have done our research.

Annier999

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2016, 04:26:41 PM »

Reply to Hurdity:

The GP showed me a large text book with some graphs on increased risk for breast cancer and stroke for women on HRT, at different ages, when compared with women not on HRT. I've seen similar research all over the web so it wasn't anything new to me or even just his opinion.

I don't think there is any doubt that there is a slight increase in risk but I decided that improving my quality of life now is worth that risk. And the GP agreed to prescribe patches which as we know  carry a lower risk than tablets.
Pages: 1 [2]