Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: So I really am normal?!!  (Read 6188 times)

trish61

So I really am normal?!!
« on: March 20, 2016, 04:40:15 PM »

Hi, I am new to this site,  I thought I could handle my menopause naturally, after all it is a normal thing in a womans life?!
All the women in my family have sailed through with hardly any problems, I am having the MENOPAUSE FROM HELL,   It has been a year now, hot flushes continually during the day, 3 hours sleep at night, due to the night flushes, and becoming an absolute bitch, I have gone from being the most positive dynamic woman you could ever meet, and become a trembling wreck, who is so nasty towards everyone, I hate my new body, I have always been a very slim size 10, I am now a good size 12, okay I finally have boobs, but where has that tummy come from!!

I have tried HRT and it did not work for me, I now have finally got an appointment with a lady doctor for this week, I pray that she will help me, because at the moment I feel so low and burst out crying at nothing,

But thanks Ladies, I know I am not alone xxx

Taz2

Re: So I really am normal?!!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 06:06:32 PM »

Hi Trish61 - re the HRT - there are different types so don't give up. Lots of us have to try two or three different ones before we find the one that's right for us.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Dyan

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 06:41:48 PM »

Trish61 :welcomemm:

coldethyl

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 06:48:06 PM »

Hello. Sounds about the sum of it. Hope your appointment is useful x

Mary G

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 07:13:33 PM »

Welcome to MM!

It certainly sounds like you need HRT but the most important thing is to get the right one.  What type of HRT were you on before and what went wrong?  Also, how old are you and are you post menopause?  This would help with any advice.

Unfortunately many women are prescribed the wrong type of HRT which ultimately leads to them giving up on it.  I use Oestrogel and Utrogestan and that is the best regime I have had so far by a very long way.  I was previously using patches which were ineffectual and oral HRT which was virtually useless.

If you can come back to some more info, we can help.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 08:32:25 PM »

:welcomemm:  yep - if being normal means anything at all?

Browse round.  Make notes.  There are several types of HRT on the market and getting the correct combination can be a bit Trial and Error, partly because GPs are ignorant or because they want to save money!   HRT can protect bones, heart and generally enable good health partciularl if ladies are 'early' into menopause.

Most of what happens to us is 'normal' but if you have a headache, do you take medication?  If you feel sick, do you not take relief? so finding something to ease your through The Change is important.  Quality of Life, Girls, quality of Life ;-). 

What do you expect your GP to suggest?  Anti-depressant medication is often offered but may not be suitable for all ladies. Having a good diet, good exerciser regime and being well hydrated is important. 

Make a list to take to your GP?  Let us know how you get on!

Halfpint

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 01:49:20 PM »

Hi Trish,
When you say other family members have sailed through menopause I would be interested to know if you suffered with PMT and they didn't as I have read that suffering from PMT normally means you will have a worse menopause. This is true of me as I always suffered badly with PMT but my sisters never did and they are more or less sailing through.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 06:00:35 PM »

I had PMT but very few meno symptoms, fortunately.  Don't know why I'm here really  :-X

trish61

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 11:21:36 AM »

Hi,  yes some did suffer with PMT, but I never have, I have always been fine during my periods, carried on as normal, swimming etc

Any I have seen what seems to be a lovely lady doctor, I would say about the same age as me (54),  she "told me off" for putting up with all my symptoms for so long!
She has prescribed me HRT, Elleste Duet 1mg tablets,  to try for 3months,  I have already taken my first tablet!!  I would be interested to know if anyone else has tried this type?

Mary G

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 02:21:49 PM »

Trish61, well done for managing to get HRT out of your doctor.  I don't want to pour cold water over things but I would hate you to have a bad experience with this particular type of HRT and be put off taking HRT in the future.

Firstly, this contains norethisterone which I and many other MM members don't get on with.  If you can take it then brilliant, job done but if not, you will need to change it.

Secondly, oral HRT is not as good and the transdermal variety for symptom control.  When I took oral HRT it was so ineffectual, I might as well not have bothered taking it at all.  Again, if it works for you, then great, no need to change it.

Last but not least, 1m of oestrogen is a low dose and (really sorry!) yet again, no good whatsoever for me and not worth the box it was packed in. 

Please don't misunderstand me, if this regime works out for you then that is fantastic but if you do have any problems, please don't give up, come back and we can discuss other tried and tests forms of HRT that really do work and will change your life!

Give it a try and see how it goes.

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 05:48:34 PM »

Hi trish61

Well done and I hope it works for you! I am sure you will notice a difference within a week or two. As a matter of interest what have your periods been doing in the past year - are they few and far between now?

Hurdity :)

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 08:43:45 PM »

Let us know how you get on  :tulips:

Keep a food/mood diary too.

trish61

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 08:47:15 AM »

Thank you all for your help,  I have been without a period for approx. 11 months, but having a bleed now will be fine, as I never, ever had any problems with my cycle.

I certainly am keeping a diary,   fingers crossed it will be plain sailing (?),  but the Doctor I have found  is wonderful, so I know if this is not suitable for me, I am sure she will help me.

HAPPY EASTER TO YOU ALL X

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2016, 05:21:25 PM »

Happy Easter trish!

Taz x  :)