Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Vitamin D question  (Read 5659 times)

Hurdity

Re: Vitamin D question
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2016, 12:00:49 PM »

Hurdity, I was deficient after a wonderful summer a couple of years ago, I walk the dog every day for an hour so more than the recommended 10 minutes suggested as being adequate to maintain our vitamin d levels.  My gp was very surprised that my level was so low hence needing a supplement.  Maybe it's down to the individual as to whether or not their body can process it properly from sunlight and diet?

S x

That does surprise me sparky! Do you walk about with bare arms etc though in the full sun during those months - just being outside isn't enough.

Vitamin D supplementation is recommended for all over 65 anyway although in the case of vit D I doubt this would be due to malabsorption as most of our Vit D can be obtained through the skin.

blossom60 - do you have any reference about this ie malabsoprtion in older people leading to vitamin deficiency - personally ( but I haven't read anything about it!)  I would have thought that many really elderly people probably just don't eat a good enough diet with as much fresh food - since perhaps having ready meals etc?

Hurdity x

blossom60

« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 02:13:31 PM by blossom60 »
Pages: 1 [2]