Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Top lip puffed up and red above  (Read 6338 times)

ancient runner

Top lip puffed up and red above
« on: February 29, 2016, 10:00:12 AM »

I look like I've had a child apply lipstick to me as the skin above my lip is red and very dry and my top lip is swollen. This has been going on for a few weeks. Tried a (very very tiny) dab of Ovestin which didn't seem to do anything. Any ideas? It's annoying and looks really odd but doesn't actually hurt which is good.

Trufflecat

Re: Top lip puffed up and red above
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 10:03:33 AM »

Itchy at all? Could it be an allergy?

limpy

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 10:15:35 AM »

Like TC says, possible allergy?
Wouldn't have thought it was the Ovestin but how long ago did you try that?

ancient runner

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 11:01:42 AM »

Doesn't itch just a bit red and dry.
I used the Ovestin to attempt to fix it, in case it was another case of oestrogen receptors getting cross at lack of supply - no effect either way.
Not sure what allergy would be to as it's not all round my mouth, just over the top lip. Hmmm....

Dorothy

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 11:10:30 AM »

Cold weather?  Always makes my top lip bright red and a bit rough, but never the lower one!  Have you tried Vaseline or lipsalve?

ancient runner

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 11:30:58 AM »

Using loads of both vaseline and lip salve Dorothy. It's red for about half an inch above my actual lip too.

Sweetscarlett

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 11:36:38 AM »

I agree with the ladies , AR my son gets this during cold weather , he subconsciously licks his lips and it gets very dry and sore very much like your description. I make sure he has Vaseline during the cold weather .
❤️❤️❤️ Ss

dahliagirl

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 12:54:44 PM »

I've had this with eating a peach with a cut on my top lip.  It went down straight away, though, and I know I have a reaction to some foods.

Have you tried anti-histamine (Loratadine, cetirizine )?

Blisteze/exe ointment?

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 02:54:23 PM »

My son always gets this in winter - he's an eczema sufferer - but in his case (when he lived at home) I gave him lip-salve and vaseline and told him not to lick his lips nor scratch as this made it worse. It only ever occurred in winter.

Personally I would just use something similar as you are already doing - not any type of proprietary cream - if you can fix it that way. Certainly wouldn't use Ovestin and that is not a healing ointment! However if you are already using all of this (for several days) and it's not working then it could possibly be a minor fungal skin infection? Therefore would ask at the pharmacy and see what they recommnend. My daughter used to have a weak cortisone cream mixed with anti-fungal (Timodine) when she was tiny as she had something similar behind the ears. You would need a formulation specifically for the lip area though, so that any accidental ingestion is not harmful.

Hurdity x

ancient runner

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 03:05:31 PM »

All good advice, thank you very much.
I had thought this might be yet another weird meno side effect but it seems not.
Good to know!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 03:48:03 PM »

Why would U put Ovestin onto the upper lip  :-\ - it's for 'down there'  ;D

I have to use lots of Vaseline 'sticks' at this time of year as I seem to lick my lips a lot when walking …… add drying winds and hey presto! 

ancient runner

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 05:18:10 PM »

I know where it's for CLKD - but wondered if the weird redness was another oestrogen deficiency symptom and thought the tiniest dab was worth a go. It really was tiny.
Have always needed to apply lots of vaseline, etc, to lips but this is really something new.
Pharmacist says to use the fucidin we have in the house.

rosie c

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 07:56:55 PM »

I find good old nivea works a treat for really sore lips... for me, more than vaseline !

Lizab

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 04:01:01 AM »

I had a little place over my lip and one under my lip that went on for a long time. Many creams and balms helped, but the dermatologist gave me a very mild hydrocortisone cream that eliminated it in only a few days. Mine was probably not meno related but could possibly have been hormone related.

ancient runner

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 08:36:56 AM »

My feeling is that it is somehow hormone related so that's interesting too.
We have cotton hankies but I've mostly been using kitchen towel recently.
I don't really get eczema but various family members do so if the Fucidin doesn't work I may steal somebody's Eumovate which is OK for faces. Currently slapping diprobase ointment on instead of lip salves in case one of those is actually making it worse.