Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: got fsh test back  (Read 2492 times)

carrieann07

got fsh test back
« on: February 26, 2016, 11:40:31 PM »

well, according to the random day they took the fsh test it was 9.3. anything between 1-10 is normal. that's good, but leaves me wondering why I'm having such awful symptoms. I kinda feel like i'm being pushed under the rug  :-\ Maybe I'm wrong and there is nothing causing my issues.

Carrie

Taz2

Re: got fsh test back
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 12:27:04 AM »

Hi carrieann - it depends on which day of your cycle the FSH test was taken. Do you know where you were in that cycle?

Taz x

carrieann07

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 12:44:06 AM »

I was on day 19 when the test was taken. You would think that the doctor would ask what day in my cycle I was on, but nope. I feel like I'm going to have my period again in a few days, but I feel that way every month and some months I skip it but still have pms. Is that normal for some people that are not going through perimenopause?

Thanks so much for all your help,
Carrie

Lizab

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 02:12:09 AM »

You can have a normal fsh and still be in peri, that's why it's such a confusing thing. Two separate high fsh would confirm it, but a normal fsh doesn't rule it out.

Milamam

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 04:32:16 AM »

Hi carrieann07,
When my perri symptoms were at their worst, and i started HRT (age 43), my FSH test was 10, within normal limits, on day 3 of cycle. The doctor said it is slightly elevated and indicative that I may be in peri. Based on my symptoms though he prescribed HRT. Further tests  a few months later while on HRT showed FSH between 5.5 and 6.

So I guess it is not conclusive that you are not starting peri. I would focus on the symptoms rather that the FSH levels.

Milamam

Sooby

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 06:58:48 AM »

Carrie,

my test was carried out without any discussion about where I was in my cycle or how I was feeling at the time and I was told the results were normal but not told what they were. I returned to the Dr after taking Black Cohosh as it helped some of my symptoms and based on this evidence my GP agreed to try HRT. It was only then that he admitted that as the hormones "splutter" in peri, then the test is not conclusive.  ::)

Briony

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 11:26:30 AM »

Hi
My FSH has always been 'within normal limits' (am now 44, first started having problems at 40) but my GP was happy to treat me on symptoms alone.

As it happened, an estrogen test showed my level was equivalent to post menopause (41pmol) despite a normal FSH. Later, even on high dose patches, it was only 128 pmol, so it's possible you do, like me,  have 'hormonal issues' even if it's not exactly menopause. My problem is the fluctuations I get (it will suddenly go sky high) so I have gone back on a low dose pill to try and control this.

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 05:25:14 PM »

Hi carrieann

The thing is if you have been skipping periods so that your cycle is irregular then the day of your cycle is not so relevant.

Ah - I've just noticed you started another thread about this and I was just about to respond again with info about early menopause and FSH testing. I suggest you have a look at your first thread and read those other threads and links as to testing for early menopause and get another blood test in a few weeks time. If possilbe try to time it so that it's done between the 3rd and 5th day of your period rather than a random day. Here is the info on this site:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/diagnose.php

Also make sure they test your oestrogen levels too - it is so important at your age that you begin treatment as soon as possilbe  and if you are skipping periods and have symptoms then this is usually all that's needed - and if you have had regualr periods for most of your reproductive life and have nothing else wrong then you should start HRT or the Pill. As you are young then doc should be looking at other blood tests and other conditions eg thyroid - not sure what else can mess up your cycle and cause symptoms?

Don't be fobbed off by your GP who doesn't seem to be looking at the whole picture. S/he should be following the NHS NICE Guidelines (I posted an extract in your other thread, in one of the links to the other threads).

Hurdity x