Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: My lower back has siezed now ( sigh!)  (Read 4952 times)

countrybumpkin

My lower back has siezed now ( sigh!)
« on: February 19, 2016, 01:56:10 PM »

I am totally convinced that my spine has a conversation with itself every night and decides which bit of it will give me awful pain the next day ::) ::)  I have herniated and prolapsed discs in my neck and lumbar spine and degenerated discs in my thoracic spine.  I have been having very bad neck and also bursitis in my shoulder which is probaby caused by the trapped neck nerves.

My lumbar spine tends to "go" anything from every couple of months to twice a year, it varies. It had been just its usual dodgy self but nothing acute until now!

On Sunday our grandson whose two and half came and I stupidly spent some time on the floor playing with him.  This is all it takes.  The next day everytime I took a deep breath I got stbbing pain in lower back.  By last night just normal breathing is giving me severe pain and siezed up muscles, coughing, sneezing and burping are not to be consiered.  I also can't get upright from sitting to standing.

GP has agreed I can have some diazepam to help the muscle spasm and I have appt with my usual chiropractor on monday.

Usually things return to my normal after 3-4 weeks with first week being the worst.

So feeling sorry for myself as I feel tight chested ( this is usual when my lower back goes) and of course want to take a deep breath, burp and cough allt he time[

Ju Ju

Re: My lower back has siezed now ( sigh!)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 06:08:38 PM »

You have my sympathy! I just get muscular back pain due to poor posture and that's bad enough. I hope the chiropractor helps. Speedy recovery!  :foryou:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 07:01:37 PM »

OUCH!   :tulips:

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 07:13:50 PM »

Sympathies countrybumpkin. I have problems with my back from time to time. Mine was caused by car crash in Florida 20 years ago. Nowadays if I walk too much my lower back seizes up.

Fortunately breathing doesn't cause me problems. Hope you get relief soon.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 08:32:21 PM »

I have multiple herniated lumbar discs probably due to a slightly abnormal curve on my spine at the bottom ( you can use my bum as a shelf!).  When it goes it goes big style which is usually very badly twice a year.  Its usually caused by sitting on a "bad" chair for too long with me and this week I sat on the floor with grandson leaning forward and then knelt on floor sorting a drawer out and then sat on really uncomfy chair in a cafe.

Spoke to chiropractor who says it sounds like nerve root compression and am seeing him on Monday - he is not miracle cure but he used acupuncture and stretching and I seem to get better a bit quicker with his input. 

I do get a bit worried in case it won't improve as the pain is unbelievable when at its worst but up to now it has always slowly slowly improved over a few weeks so here's hoping this time!

Achybones - I did laugh carefully at your description of not wanting to sit on the loo, I have had that in the past, everytime it goes I have slightly different pain patterns, this time its anything that jolts my diaphram like a sudden in breath or burp etc.  I had no idea how often I burp/cough or take a deep breath!

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 08:34:15 PM »

Buy a Sheewee ………..  ;)

countrybumpkin

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 08:44:59 PM »

Have you ever tried to use one of those, I did years ago thinking it would be good when you were out in the wilds.  Useless, you just end up wet ;D ;D 
Have you seen the concertina frog bottle :o that has a contoured opening, now that one is good when out in the woods! 

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 08:47:04 PM »

I bought a Sheewee 2 years ago - still in the packet  ;D.  The advice on the packet is to use in the shower until one is confident  ::) …….. I do wish when we are in a queue that I had practiced  :D

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 09:01:01 PM »

It pulls don't it  >:( - I get sciatica and it hurts to sit on the loo.  A friend of mine had a plaster to the waist for nearly a year and found that standing over the loo enabled the bowels to work 'better' too!

robotwars

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 09:49:45 PM »

I'm always doing my back in, and the osteopath keeps putting me back together again! I'm amazed and how quick they get me back to normal, its amazing......  :) hope it feels better soon

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 12:19:09 PM »

However Robotwars - what does the osteopath recommend to keep your back healthy?  There are various ways of protecting the spine - patients were advised to iron sitting down, I could never get the board the 'correct' height so gave up ironing  ;D

Also - Girls: in general - how is your foot wear?  I often want to stop ladies in the street because it is obvsioy that they will have back problems due to the sloppy shoes that they wear  :bang: :bang: :bang: - the instep and ankle require support and there's no need to wear 'Granny' shoes in order to give the whole foot protection !  Without protection the body starts to compensate all the way up = low/lumbar/cervical pain and spasm.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 03:55:40 PM »

Agree ckld. My biggest problem is chairs in cafe's etc. Amazes me how they will spend a fortune doing up a cafe/venue etc but leave the same 20 year old falling to bits - sagging chairs.  If i find somewhere with good chairs they have got my custom for life!

I have a choice between a social life and a dodgy but not totally disabling spine or a social life and alot of the year spent in agony.

If I could have a new spine and new eyes I would be wonderwoman ;D ;D

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2016, 04:47:36 PM »

It's the same in hair salooooons - I'm sure that the hairdressers haven't actually used them - I asked for a cushion this week but the chair still wasn't comfy.; not for me nor the girl washing my hair  >:(

Joyce

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2016, 05:39:15 PM »

Years ago podiatrist told me that all the girls/ladies who constantly wear ballerina style shoes, as well as a very popular suede boot, are storing up problems for their old age. I seldom wear ballerina shoes due to having a poor instep, but on occasion they are OK. Also seldom wear heels as agony is not my idea of fun.

I agree good shoes should be worn, especially if on your feet all the time. Unfortunately I still have a bad back.