Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Had enough  (Read 2662 times)

carolann

Had enough
« on: February 13, 2016, 09:44:53 PM »

Hi I am nearly 57 I had my last period at 50 every since then I have felt horrible hot flushes not sleeping aches and pains getting words muddled up and feeling old and stupid .I haven't tried h r t as my sister had breast cancer ten years ago and so am worried about the increased risk . Am going to make an appointment to see my doctor as I really have had enough just wondered if anyone has tried anything that has helped feeling so low

Taz2

Re: Had enough
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 10:15:12 PM »

Hi carolann.

Seven years is a long time to suffer from hot flushes etc. I'm sorry to hear about your sister and can understand your reluctance to try HRT however it depends on whether your sister's cancer was oestrogen dependent as to whether this would be a factor to prevent you using HRT and, also, you need to have at least two close family members (sister mother grandmother) with such a breast cancer to increase your risks. There is also a query over the age that the family members suffered their cancer - under 40 seems to be relevant.

At your age a patch or gel HRT is considered the best option.

As for feeling so low - if you decide to try HRT then you will probably find that as you begin to sleep better and feel better with less aches and pains and freedom from the flushes then your mood will lift.

Let us know how you get on.

Taz x

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 05:27:21 PM »

Hello carolann and welcome to the forum.

My last period was at 54 and I lasted 3 years before I'd had enough and started HRT, so I admire you for making it to 7 years, you're a better man than I am lol.

HRT may be something you can consider regardless of your sister's situation and there are many knowledgeable ladies here who can advise you.

I thought you might like to know however that when a friend of mine was complaining about her menopause her MIL replied that she had  put up with similar problems for 7 years and then they all went!  Now I agree that is a long time to suffer by wouldn't it be great if you were like my friend's MIL and your journey was almost over!

Wishing you well and whatever happens I hope you feel better soon.

K.

carolann

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 08:43:27 PM »

Hi would just like to say a big thank you for your replies it's made me feel better just reading them I am going to see my doctor next week so will have a good talk with her thanks again xxx