Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Newbie!  (Read 1893 times)

LizzieF

Newbie!
« on: February 15, 2016, 02:21:22 PM »

Hello

I posted a message today about yoga without doing this first! Just a bit desperate to get help I think!

I'm postmenopausal and have tried every supplement known to (wo)man, to no avail! My main concern is depression/anxiety and I want to deal with this without HRT.

It's great to be a member of this forum and hear about other members' experiences, and feel part of this community.

Lizzie x

Lizab

Re: Newbie!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 04:06:46 PM »

Welcome, Lizzie! Many of us are struggling with the mental side of this business. Personally, I started with minor diet and lifestyle adjustments, then turned to hrt, and now questioning that. I'm off to read your yoga post now.

LizzieF

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 04:23:04 PM »

Hello Lizab

Thank you for your message. I feel better just being a member of this forum!

Just wanted to say, which I meant to earlier, that I understand why women take HRT, but would rather manage my symptoms without it, if I can. I would like to find an alternative that works, but that is taking some time!

Lizzie x

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 04:44:50 PM »

Hello LizzieF and welcome to the forum.

I was period free for three years before I began using HRT. Perhaps if my symptoms had been different I could have carried on but I got to the point where I realised I needed hormonal help.

We are all different but I think it is wise not to rule anything out as who knows what surprises Mother Nature has in store for us!

Wishing you well and take care.

K.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 05:24:10 PM »

Hi LizzieF

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear you are feeling down. How old are you and how far post-menopause are you re last period? Unfortunately depression/anxiety are common consequences of oestrogen deficiency post-menopause - and can be attributed to menopause if you haven't suffered similarly before or perhaps just cyclically during periods, and if there is no reason in your life that you can pinpoint as the cause of your feelings.

Even though I take HRT and have done since late peri-menopause I still don't feel on top of the world all the time - more on an even keel - but feel much much better when I am outside in the fresh air, walking, in the sunshine, and have taken up exercise classes in the last 3 years as well as making sure I eat a good diet and not deficient in anything, and have lost excess weight. All of this helps me to feel as well as I can. In addition even though I am still working part-time, I plan things to do, people to meet, trips away etc so that I always have something to look forward to if I can. Maybe you are able to do the same?

Re alternatives - I think the exercise/dietary/activity suggestions are more likely to work than supplements re anxiety although there are one or two that have very limited evidence for slight improvement maybe? Off hand I can't suggest anything but hope you see an improvement by taking some small steps in the right direction.

Don't rule out HRT necessarily though - unless you have a medical reason why you cannot take it

Hurdity x

Lizab

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 06:00:23 PM »

Hi, I just want to reply again, since those of us that have replied are on hrt. Please don't feel like we're saying that's the only way. I honestly never even considered hrt during the beginning of my peri. I don't like to take meds and they're expensive (in the US). When my constant anxiety and hot flashes started turning to depression, I didn't think twice about asking for hrt. You will know if you reach that point. I hope you don't though! I think there is an alternative therapies section on the forum where you might find some ideas too.

LizzieF

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 06:34:27 PM »

Thank you all again so much for being so supportive. I'm 10 years post menopause, self-employed as an indexer, and, apart from chocolate, have a healthy-ish lifestyle with daily walks, vegetarian diet, no alcohol. My depression and anxiety have I think always been in the background but have become much worse since the menopause. I worry because my mother had severe depression and took medication all her adult life.

I do agree that supplements probably aren't the answer, though the attraction is that they seem like a quick fix.

I won't rule anything out at all, and thank you all again.