Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Worried it's not just menopause symptoms  (Read 2012 times)

Eve53

Worried it's not just menopause symptoms
« on: February 10, 2016, 01:09:28 PM »

Took me a while to find out to post a new topic, so you'll find this written further down my page!! I have changed my diet, and exercising more, but last night I had more sweats  than ever. I also have an aching in my throat, not sore, just feels strained the more I talk. This morning after my shower and putting a washing on, my limbs felt heavy and tired, that I had to sit down! I've had a lot of family illness and I know worrying won't help. I get my thyroid checked and had a reading of 14, whatever that means? So many of my symptoms are the same as under active thyroid.  I just fed up and worried I have something bad wrong. I know I've only started making changes, but I'm fed up as I hoped I'd feel better. Sorry to be a moan. Xx

Milamam

Re: Worried it's not just menopause symptoms
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 01:59:04 PM »

Hi Eve,
Was it TSH that was tested? When I have had tests for thyroid, , the ranges varied with different labs but were mostly up to 4.5 -5. So I am not an expert but 14 seems high, indicating the underactive thyroid? Maybe your GP will offer advice or referal?
Milamam

Eve53

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 02:18:26 PM »

Hi Milamam. I'm not sure, it was just the standard thyroid test. You would think my regular doctor would have said if she wasn't happy. I'm seeing her next week, so I'll ask, as maybe I have misunderstood her. Do you have thyroid problems Milamam? I take it you haven't experienced the strained throat, as that was what was worrying me. Thank you for getting back to me :)

Milamam

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 04:06:25 PM »

Hi Eve,
If it was worrisome, your doctor would have told you so relax.
Also, even if it is a thyroid problem, at least you will know what it is and take action. For me, uncertainty and confusion about my problems has always been the worst. Once I am clear what the cause is, I greatly relax!

As to tests,  so far my thyroid tests have all come normal but I was tested frequently in the mids of the havoc that peri created in me two years ago, to determine whether it is peri, or thyroid symptoms. I finally started HRT and  symptoms subsided so I haven't done any further tests. It was clearly perimenopause that was causing me all kinds of things, fatigue and exhaustion to name a few.
Good luck in your visit to the doctor and keep us updated!

Dorothy

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 04:14:30 PM »

You're wise to double-check with your doctor if you are unsure about your symptoms.  But while you're waiting for your appointment, remind yourself that a)menopause produces all kinds of weird and wonderful symptoms and b) health anxiety is one of them, so worrying your symptoms are a sign of something serious is probably just another menopause symptom!  I'd be embarrassed to tell you all the serious/fatal illnesses I've convinced myself I've had in the past month alone!!!

Eve53

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 09:16:59 PM »

Thank you both Milamam and Dorothy for getting back to me. I would have got back to you sooner, as I see you posted this afternoon. I seem to be finding it difficult to find my way round the forum!! I appreciate both your answers, they have made sense. Having family and friends with serious illness recently probably made me a bit more anxious. I ill definitely talk to my Doctor next week about my thyroid test, and throat. Which I'm still worried about, but hopefully getting it out of proportion. Thanks again both of you for your help😊Xx