Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: lorazepam withdrawel help needed  (Read 13186 times)

theresalou

lorazepam withdrawel help needed
« on: January 30, 2016, 08:12:44 AM »

Hi
is there anyone on here trying to come off Lorazepam? I have been on it for about 8weeks and now trying to taper off and finding it really hard. now on 2.5mg daily, gp says to reduce by .5mg per week, which I have tried but think maybe need to do it every 2 weeks to make it easier? its particularly hard first thing in morning as I wake ay 5.30 ish and really shakey, palpations  etc and .5mg doesn't ease things so end up takng the other half! At the moment I feel I'll never get off them. Any advice /help welcome.
T.

babyjane

Re: lorazepam withdrawel help needed
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 09:32:52 AM »

Hello, personally I would think take your time and if you need to do it slower and longer then that would be right for you.  Some people are far more sensitive to meds (I am) and react more strongly going on them and coming off them.

I hope CLKD reads your post as she gives very good advice re meds as I think she has a medical background of some sort.

coldethyl

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 09:56:24 AM »

I've no personal experience, but my mum was on diazepam for years and did some of her withdrawal in hospital - I believe she followed what is known as the Ashton protocol ( Dr Ashton was very cutting edge regarding benzo addiction etc) and if you google that, it brings up video clips and information that might help. I know mum did it very very slowly and was warned it would be difficult.

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 11:01:20 AM »

did she succeed coldethyl, and was she all right afterwards?  Mother's sister took Valium and other things for many years, she was very anxious and nervous. She started with Alzheimer's at 58 (my age) and died of pneumonia aged 62, very sad, and mother was convinced it was hastened by all the mind altering meds she took. She had been a doctor's receptionist - one of the worst jobs for an anxious and nervous woman as she had access to a lot of knowledge that didn't really help her  :(

coldethyl

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 11:50:48 AM »

Yes she did manage to come off them. She has been left with some sort of vertigo that they think is related to the Valium use but she is mostly fine. I think she went on Sertraline for few years afterwards as she has had anxiety all her life and they helped. Seems ok now ( she is 73) - just usual life stressors and she copes reasonably well with them. By the time she went into withdrawal, most of her symptoms were attributable to the benzo and not anxiety. I have a few for occasional use but fight tooth and nail with myself not to take one as I remember how ill she was. They were just doled out like sweets - I can still see drawers full of them at home as she'd be given new lot even when she had tons left. Stupid thing is that she cut down her antidepressants  and then was told to just have a Valium instead if she needed one.

babyjane

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 02:35:03 PM »

bless your mum, I am glad she is all right  :)

newbeginnings

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 04:22:43 PM »

I have withdrawn from lorazepam. This is my experience only.
The health professionals always seem to give way too short a time to do it. It needs to be done very very slowly which means less risks in withdrawal. Definitely at least every 2 weeks.  I have yet to meet a gp suggesting benzodiazepine withdrawal who has actually been through themselves.
Lorazepam is more difficult to come off than valium. 1mg lorazepam is equivalent to 10mg valium. It is recommended to change to valium and withdraw from that instead of coming straight off lorazepam. If at all possible if you could be prescribed 2mg valium or 5mg if drop is too much. Then you can break the 2mg in half then a quarter.
Part of the answer is to have a good support network around you and security. Really the best advice is to think in terms if possible of 6 months ir longer depending on how long you've been on it and dosage.
Also if possible a compassionate gp who will support you taking your time and who really understands benzodiazepine addiction. Best wishes to and lots of support.

newbeginnings

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 04:24:35 PM »

Just to add that seeing as you've been on them 8 weeks, 6 months would be unnecessarily long.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 04:36:54 PM »

I've had various medications that required withdrawal.  GPs have access to smaller dosage that are usually prescribed.

That was an AD.  Once I got it into my head that after 24 hours the 'awful' bounce back feelings didn't get any worse and went after 36 hours, I began to accept that eventually I would be able to stop. It took 9 weeks of careful guidance from my GP to stop.  By cutting back the dosage, gaps between being every other day, every 3 days, every 5 days …….

I recently took an anti-anxiety med every day for 4 weeks and bugga, did I know it when I tried to stop.  So when the anxiety over-whelmed me DH stood with the glass of water and pill …… that took every 3 days, every 5 before I began to feel OK again.

Don't rush it.  You will get off it, 8 weeks isn't long in the great scheme of things  ;).  What time do you take your de-creased dose?

theresalou

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 04:57:21 PM »

thanks for all your replies. well have been trying to spread the dosage in half pills across the day- ie 2.5mg in five doses, I am on day three of 2mg spread across the day, but it is a struggle to hang on for the next dose, and my mood seems to swing up and down and I can feel my body 'needing' the next dose! I try to keep very busy all the time so that I am distracted but that is so exhausting! The worst time is in the morning i wake about 5.30 and am desperate to take a dose as very shakey at that time, presume bacause of the length of time overnight between doses.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 05:00:06 PM »

So don't struggle.  Denial adds to the 'need' somehow.  If you need to bring the dose forwards by 30 mins., then do so.  Give yourself breathing space.  Eventually you will go the full distance  ;).  Rome wasn't built in a day and the body/brain get used to the chemical support.  I sat here sobbing one morning repeating "I'm addicted, I'm addicted" …… GP said 'you won't do that again will you?" when I fessed up! 

It is scary at the time but you will be OK - it's known as re-bound anxiety apparently  >:(  ::)

theresalou

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 05:15:09 PM »

Thank you clkd. I'm really not sure if spreading them across the day is the right way or take them at set times each day then when reducing lop a dose off! guess its just whatever works!

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 06:58:00 PM »

I agree with newbeginnings in that it is usual to be swapped to diazepam and weaned off that one rather than to try to come straight off lorazepam. There is advice to this effect here http://patient.info/health/stopping-benzodiazepines-and-z-drugs

A difficult time for you theresalou but you will get there. Have you got lots of support from friends or is there a local support group to you for benzo withdrawal where others are going through the same thing?

Taz x

theresalou

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 07:11:55 PM »

Thanks for that Taz2, yes have a very very supportive husband and son and daughter! I am very lucky! think will see how this week goes and if still struggling go back to my GP.
T.

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2016, 07:30:42 PM »

As long as you have support that's half the battle.

Taz x  :hug:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4