Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Newbie at 42  (Read 5904 times)

JacquiM

Newbie at 42
« on: January 15, 2016, 09:50:32 PM »

Hello to all. I'm 42 and have just started on Elleste Duet. It's hard enough getting your head around the whole menopause thingy but now the HRT! I'm only four days in and had hoped for miracles but still feel tired, lethargic, achy, etc etc. any advice greatly relieved. Especially those in their early 40s. Is this really it? Am I going to feel like this for the next decade?  >
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 09:53:51 PM by JacquiM »

Dorothy

Re: Newbie at 42
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 10:26:23 PM »

:welcomemm:  It takes a while for HRT to be effective - you may need to try more than one before finding one that suits you, but you really need to give it a few months before changing. 

I'm 40 and on BCP instead of HRT.  It does help although I still get a lot of symptoms.  Have you checked your diet?  It's really important to eat healthy.  Exercise, diet changes, cutting down on caffeine, sugar, alcohol etc can all help.  I use Epsom salt baths to help with joint ache and cramp.  There is loads of advice on the forum for dealing with individual symptoms.  Have a hunt round!

Lizab

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 10:31:32 PM »

Hello! I'm also newly on hrt, at 39. You'll see you are in good company here. These girls have lots of knowledge.

dazned

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 10:49:45 PM »

Hi and welcome

I first started on elleste duet and did well for years on it but it doesn't happen over night unfortunately !
It can take a couple of months before your body adjusts to any hrt,so try to be positive and look forward to feeling better,just not necessarily tomorrow  ;)

Wantmylifeback

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 09:53:02 AM »

Hi JaquiM

I too am a newbie to HRT at 40, just started a couple of days ago and not sure what to expect. I have suffered with symptoms for over 2 years now and feel like you! Is this it until we're in our 50's. As women we seem to get the raw deal! Periods, pregnancy, PND and then peri menopause 😟 No wonder we get irritated by men sometimes 😡 they really do get the better deal. Rant over 😳

Keep in touch

WMLB 😘

Briony

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 05:07:14 PM »

Hi Jackqui and WMLB

As another one who hit the hormone madness at 40, I just wanted to say welcome and  you're not alone. Coping with the physical and emotional effects of peri menopause and menopause are difficult at any age, let alone your 40s when many are still working full time and have young children (sadly, I left it too late for the latter).

I'm  now nearly 44 and, whilst I certainly dont feel like 'old me', I can say that I am now more accepting and realistic about my situation (have also learnt who my true friends are and how to say 'no'!  ::)).

The only advice I can really add is:

1- When times are bad, especially when you get a weird, atypical symptom (usually crushing fatigue, tingling or the chills in my case) or non-stop tears, remember - it really is 'only' your hormones. It will ease.
2- Don't expect your first hrt or bcp to be the right one for you. If it is, you're very lucky.
3 - Don't expect treatment to work for several weeks, if not months; I wanted immediate results, and then panicked when they didn't appear!
4- Remember that, being younger, the risks for hrt are much better than for someone older. In fact, we are at more risk not taking additional estrogen. Try to avoid Googling the scare stories!
5- For some younger ladies, especially those in peri menopause, standard hrt isnt always as helpful as a treatment which actually suppresses ovulation. Look at the NAPS guidelines for advice on this.
6 - Dont rule out the BCP if HRT isnt effective. For some ladies, the combined pill (which is stronger, though generally not as natural) is better because it prevents the fluctuations.  There is also a new, more natural pill called Qlaira which I'd recommend investigating as a useful bridge between HRT and the pill.
7 - No matter how stupid your question is, or how awful you feel, there will always be someone on here with an answer, advice or even just an understanding 'I get it'. Some of the ladies on here have, over the last 18 months, helped me more than they will ever know!

Really hope you feel better soon x

JacquiM

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 06:30:47 AM »

Thanks to all. I guess I'll just have to stick in and not let the symptoms get me down. My diet is already healthy and I exercise loads (I'm a fire-fighter, don't get me started on peri menopause whilst working with a bunch of men). I don't have any caffeine intake and drink occasionally. I'm almost there with regards to looking after myself and don't fancy giving up my gin at all! Even my hair has went greasy and my scalp,is flaky. My skin is dry and my face is starting to resemble a raisin. Sooo not ready for this. Any other fun things I should look forward to? ? ? What is BCP?

Wantmylifeback

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 10:32:52 AM »

Hi

I too was wondering what BCP is?  Thanks Briony its good to hear from someone who has been where we are.  I really didn't think I'd have to face any of this until at least another 10 years! JaquiM I feel your pain with regards to lots of things especially the skin aspect - I spent around ten minutes looking in the mirror this morning wondering where this saggy, shrivelled up person had appeared from, any recommendations on how to improve this would be greatly received.

WMLB

Jenna

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 10:39:27 AM »

Hi Jacqui and WMLB - BCP is Birth Control Pill  :)

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 05:37:34 PM »

Hi JacquiM

:welcomemm:

What have your periods been doing over the past year and what dose of Elleste have you been given? Do hope it begins to work for you soon - it is early days yet :)

Hurdity x

Briony

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 06:40:49 PM »

Sorry, birth control pill.

Yasmine/Yaz is often recommended for peri menopause, but the newer ones - Zoeley and Qlaira/Natazia are bio identical and therefore more like HRT.

This might be useful too, if you are still having periods.
http://www.pms.org.uk/assets/files/guidelinesfinal60210.pdf

JacquiM

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 09:01:28 PM »

I am on the Elleste Duet 1mg. I haven't had a period for four months, nothing at all. Before that they were sporadic to say the least. I just put it down to having taken the contraceptive pill for so long but how wrong was I. Today's battle has been the adult acne, what is that all about. Question regarding the BCP. Why would you use this for Menopause? Do you not need The hormones on HRT? It's all so confusing.

Dorothy

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 10:15:35 PM »

HRT and BCP are both hormones.  BCP can be better for women in earlier stages of peri as it suppresses the body's natural supply of hormones which are tending to fluctuate dramatically at this stage.  So you get a more even supply.  The downside is that when you have a pill break, you can have a dramatic increase in symptoms. My GP also says that the higher 'dose' of hormone is better for younger women who need more protection than is offered by most HRT.  Another reason it's often offered to younger women is that it is more socially/psychologically acceptable to them than HRT since many younger women are on it for birth control reasons - some women feel more 'normal' being on BCP (I admit to being one of them!)

BeckyBoo

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 11:34:39 AM »

Hello ladies

I'm new on here today and am relieved to see a few or you are in your 40's
I'm 42 i'll go and copy my hello post here which explains a bit about me.

Bex 

BeckyBoo

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 11:35:16 AM »

Morning all

Well here i am with my prescription of Estradiol and in 2 weeks time i'm having a progesterone coil fitted.
I have at last been told i am perimenopausal after blood tests confirmed it.

I am only 42 and its no surprise to me as had to go through 2 rounds of IVF to have our beautiful daughter (age 5)
I've been struggling with getting very hot after eating and in the night. I went on the pill last year which worked well but every time i had my 7 day break i suffered with bad headaches and mood swings. I'm also suffering with dizziness and vertigo which might me due to my hormones.

I look forward to getting to know you all and learning more about this crazy stage of my life.

Becky   
Pages: [1] 2