Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Distraction Ideas  (Read 1528 times)

Roseneath

Distraction Ideas
« on: December 29, 2018, 09:57:43 PM »

Any idea on what to do to stop intrusive thought. Putting on the radio is a good one for me, or a walk. Could do with some more about the house as working from home there is loads of time for my brain going places I don't want it to.

AgathaC

Re: Distraction Ideas
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 11:31:23 PM »

My mind is very prone to overthinking and I have to work hard at distraction.
Sometimes reading or watching television is not enough. My mind can wander and I'm back to worry, anxiety and dread.
My most effective distraction activities are 1. Not alone and 2. Are outside of the house and 3. Are physical as well as mental.
I volunteer at a food bank once a week and this is often my “free-est” time. I think it is also down to the fact that many of our clients (obviously) have very real issues, compared to my “imagined” ones.
But to answer your question, things like hard sewing or embroidery or delicate craft are really good for concentrating.
Dancing hard in the kitchen to very loud music from your youth can be a good quick fix.
Cleaning - don't laugh - yes, cleaning. My sinks are shiny and bleached and my toilets are extremely white. The productiveness of cleaning and doing jobs can (no joke) improve greatly how you feel.
I find it is best to keep away from the ‘phone and the computer. I'm always reading horror stories on the Daily Mail website and they add nothing to my life apart from more potential worries.
Can you do cryptic crosswords? If not, learn how to. I don't do them every day but I do at the weekends and it can sometimes take a whole day on and off to crack.
Finally, even when working from home, pop outside and raise your head up and look up at the sky for a few minutes constantly. The combination of being outside and looking up is very powerful.
Just read these suggestions. Think I won't be starting to write self help guides for a living. Not sure any doctor would recommend kitchen dancing to Duran Duran.

Dancing Queen

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 09:54:21 AM »

I also work from home and have lately found it so isolating Ive decided to chuck it all in on Jan 2nd and get a job..any job within reason..working with other people. I agree being with others especially voluntary work (I did some in the Summer) is the best distraction xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 09:59:14 AM »

Like me, no one suggests housework or ironing  ;)

Radio
TV
Crosswords
Nintendo
On here
Walking
Gardening
Sitting by the ponds

When really ill I lay I bed  :'( with mind racing
Journalling helped - venting without pause

I've been on appropriate medication since 1988

Roseneath

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 10:50:31 PM »

CLDK. I sometimes think you must be a Meno Avatar as you always seem to say the right things at the right time! Thanks for always being there with a cheery word. I feel better today. The black cloud did pass. I thought it wouldn't but it did.  :great:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 05:24:23 PM »

:bighug:  I'm much the oldest here probably.  Been there, survived ;-).

Half a day at a time?