Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Christmas Cake  (Read 14161 times)

toffeecushion

Re: Christmas Cake
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2015, 12:10:12 PM »

I'm the same, can barely manage the dinner.  The thing is that it is only a Sunday roast lunch, why does it sit so heavy.  Maybe it is all the excitement and anxiety that goes with Christmas day.  We usually eat our cake over the New Year.

getting_old

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2015, 04:09:19 PM »

Well, this will be the first year since I DH and I got together that I'm not making a Christmas cake, but with the move and everything else, plus the fact that the cake has never been 100% at this house, I just don't have time. Maybe I'll do a New Year one once we've moved.

Hurdity

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2015, 05:19:16 PM »

Don't rub it in - I haven't even bought all of my presents yet!

All Dorothy? I haven't even started yet nor even made a list! It's over a month away yet  ::). I did send an e-mal yesterday to offspring ( all four) asking them to send their ideas though :)

I know what you mean Stellajane - I feel the same re the food. It is just a roast dinner as you say toffeecushion - but ours seems to be massive, isn't eaten until mid afternoon, and no-one has room for pudding so not even making these this year either! Yes to nibbles of cheeses and mincepies later in the evening whenever anyone gets hungry (the boys seem to!).

Thanks for cake ideas - Dundee cake - I've never made that.  I might just give it a try and cook it for slightly less time so that it's moist. That's what I like about Christmas cake - I usually feed it with brandy after cooking and then again a couple of weeks before Christmas and it's deliciously soggy and alcoholic.... hic !

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2015, 05:22:57 PM »

As said B4 - in the Summer.

If we stay here for C.mas we get up in leisurely fashion, a light breakfast and brisk walk - then we have the C.mas pud heated up for lunch with either cream or brandy poured into a glass ……. evening meal into the oven mid-afternoon to be enjoyed whilst watching TV.

We had to make a C.mas cake in our 3rd year at School with proper icing and everything  ::).  >yawn< ……… I don't have a steady hand at the best of times and what's the point if it's to be cut eventually  ::).  OK in the days when there were 15-20 around the table but when we became 4 and then 2  ???

DH does a mean Dundee cake - I love the almonds on the top  :D

Ju Ju

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2015, 07:17:06 PM »

2nd cake in the oven! If my extra icons worked, I would choose one with a halo!

Galadriel

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2015, 07:57:03 PM »

Made mine at the end of October - Delia Smith recipe that never fails... I feed it every so often till Christmas week, then it gets iced. I don't do flat royal icing as I'm not good at it. But I am good at 'snow drifts'  ;D

I love the smell of it baking... fills the house with such as gorgeous smell.

Galadriel x

Ju Ju

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2015, 08:40:52 PM »

Oops! Forgot the cake! Was checking it regularly, then meno brain set in! Slightly overdone! Still feed it with plenty of brandy and no one will notice!   ;)

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2015, 09:54:20 PM »

:ange:  there you go JuJu!   :cupcake:

Dorothy

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2015, 10:37:30 PM »

I don't do flat royal icing as I'm not good at it. But I am good at 'snow drifts'  ;D

Snow is more seasonal anyway.  :)  Our decoration never varies - 'snow' with 2 plastic fir trees and a plastic Father Christmas/sleigh/reindeer (which used to be red and is now nearly white) pulled up in front of a marzipan 'log cabin' (coffee-stained sides and icing snow on the roof).  As I am the marzipan fiend in the family, I always get to eat the house!  Oh, and I forgot the plastic robin that is half as big as the house  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2015, 03:10:56 PM »

Oh Dorothy - are those handed down from relatives, I remember ours on Grandma's cake with 'snow drifts' made with a fork; and my Granny did the plastic robins etc. on hers …….. I had a small robin of hers for a while, must fish it out of the drawer!

getting_old

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2015, 03:14:16 PM »

We've got plastic fir trees, robins, snowmen and santas (and yes they're all the same size  ;D ) that we bought at Tescos when we first got married - now I'm feeling bad for not making a cake  :'(

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2015, 03:25:04 PM »

Don't feel guilty!  Why not get a long length of cotton wool and stand on the windowsill, putting the little items along it?  The scene can be changed daily  ;)

getting_old

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2015, 03:27:50 PM »

Good idea, but think they'll be getting packed in the next day or two, then I may not see them again until March  :-X

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2015, 03:31:54 PM »

They could be packed with the kettle and loo rolls  ;)

Dorothy

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2015, 10:40:11 PM »

Oh Dorothy - are those handed down from relatives, I remember ours on Grandma's cake with 'snow drifts' made with a fork; and my Granny did the plastic robins etc. on hers …….. I had a small robin of hers for a while, must fish it out of the drawer!

I'm not sure where they came from, but there are pictures of me aged about 4 with the Christmas cake with those decorations on it, so they are at least nearly as old as I am!
Pages: 1 [2] 3