Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: First Time  (Read 2380 times)

millergirl

First Time
« on: November 15, 2015, 08:59:13 PM »

Hi, this is my first time on this forum.  I am 55 years old and have most symptoms of the menopause, my last period was in February 2015 so hoping this is it!   I was wondering if anybody gets dizzy spells connected with the menopause, these started about 2 weeks ago.  Went to see the doctor but she is really reluctant to talk about anything menopause and just nods!!! Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

millergirl

Re: First Time
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 10:41:15 PM »

Hi Sparkle
The dizzy spells seem to come when I am having night sweats, when I turn over in bed, they are very infrequent during the day just seems to be mainly at night.  The doctor didn't suggest anything, maybe I should ask for a blood test.  I have just recently started having migraines also, something else I put down to the menopause as with most things these days!!!

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 10:50:15 PM »

Hi there & welcome.

Our hormones sure have a lot to answer for.  Night sweats can be overwhelming at times. I'm fortunate that most of mine are during the day. I occasionally will get one that wakens me & my body is in panic mode. Duvet is off & I'm sitting up in a flash, excuse the pun.  ;D

I've had a hysterectomy so my experience is limited as a result. Many nice ladies on here & sure someone will pop by with advice.

LesleyAW

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 11:49:10 PM »

I have dizzy spells if I am hungry, I think my blood sugar gets low.  I am finding I need to eat small and often, and also drinking a lot of water helps.  I never used to get this so am thinking it is hormone related.  :)

MrsDJB

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 07:46:26 AM »

Hi - Defintely went dizzy with hot flushes (and nauseous too).  As the "wave of heat" came the room would spin!

I'm in surgical menopause (and 41) so they started me on HRT very quickly - once that settled in the flushes and dizzy spells have calmed down.  X

millergirl

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 07:58:07 AM »

Thank you so much everyone for your replies, it really does reassure you when you know you are not alone and other people have experienced the same things you are going through.  The night sweats and sleepless nights are the worst, the dizziness was frightening but am now getting used to it, I will definitely try the food and drink little but often, maybe that is something I am remiss in, I look after my 2 year old granddaughter and never really think about having a drink and find that I can go through most of the day without drinking so maybe that is it, will give it a go anyway. 
Thanks guys and keep up the good work, it is so nice to know there are people out there willing to share. x

peri

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 09:21:38 AM »

I get dizzy spells too, they're like little vertigo shocks I feel very off balance when it happens and it's unpleasant to say the least but fortunately they only last a couple of seconds. I find I get them when I'm stressed for example I had too do a presentation at work last week and they were terrible then, but I've got a week off now so probably won't have any. Eating little and often does help.

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 01:23:29 PM »

Hi Millergirl

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about your dizzy spells and shame on your doctor for not talking about the menopause! Let's hope she reads the new NICE Guidelines (see home page of forum http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/index.php)! These state that women such as yourself should be told about menopause and the symptoms etc and should also be offered HRT if there are no medical contra-indications. Is this something you would consider? I went onto HRT at around a year younger than you but at the same stage - my periods has almost tailed off - and it was the best thing I ever did. It was after the time of mood swings and massive hormone fluctuations but gave me anough oestrogen to stop the flushes and sweats and lift my mood so that I could function again properly. I tried the usual herbal/diet things - Black Cohosh, phyto-oestrogen diet with linseeds etc - but they didn't really work!

Your doc should investigate the cause of your dizziness first though surely?

I agree about the eating/blood sugar - and reduce the amount of sugar and refined carbs in your diet - if you eat a lot of it.

I started to get bad pre-menstural headaches even before I was peri-menopausal which then turned into mirgaines. I did continue to get them on HRT but now I don't get them very frequently at all - as long as I am very careful about how and when I drink wine  - even one small glass at the wrong time - late in eve can set off a migraine the next day.

Do ask if there is anything else we can help with :)

Hurdity x