Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hello, new member  (Read 2888 times)

LesleyAW

Hello, new member
« on: November 14, 2015, 12:49:16 AM »

Hi, I'm Lesley, I'm 53 in a couple of weeks.  I am perimenopausal, with still regular periods, but all the symptoms! Married for 33 years,  I have two boys who are 30 and 26 and I also have a 9 year old daughter :)  Anyone else my age and still regular but with anxiety, terrible panic attacks, nausea, pins and needles, mood swings etc?

Joyce

Re: Hello, new member
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 09:08:41 AM »

:welcomemm:

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 10:00:14 AM »

Hello LesleyAW and welcome to the forum.

I am 59 now but my periods were regular until I was 54 and then stopped abruptly. I managed my menopause symptoms for three years but when things became worse I started HRT.
Your problems are very familiar and the ladies on this site will be able to advise you. The one thing I would say is that I wish I had tried HRT sooner than I did as I have noticed a lot of improvement since taking extra hormones.

Wishing you well and keep posting.

K.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 06:37:10 PM »

Hi LesleyAW

:welcomemm: from me too.

If you have seen no changes yet in your cycle regularity at all then you are probably still in what is known as the late reproductive stage - which comes just before peri-menopause (this is defined as when cycle irregularity begins - although I can't see that every woman fits neatly into this definition!). However before this (peri) women begin to experience fluctuations in the hormones which causes the symptoms you mention. I know I did - and I hadn't even heard of peri-menopause but started to get much worse pms, blood sugar fluctuations/sugar cravings in the second part of my cycle, weeping for only minor reasons, migraines for the first time. However I did not seek treatment (at the time) but just put up with it thinking it was just bad/worse pms!

It's a pain isn't it but you will get plenty of help and support on here :)

Hurdity x

LesleyAW

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 11:43:18 PM »

Thanks so much for the welcome everyone  :) I have seen some changes actually, my cycle has gone shorter in the last year, it was always about 35 days and now it is 28 or even 27 days, and I have read that this can be an early change.  My mum was 57/58 before she stopped her periods though....

LesleyAW

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 12:11:12 AM »

Hurdity, yes, me too with the low blood sugar in the second half of my cycle, I never had it before, and never really even had much PMT but now over the last year or two, I do, and it is making up for lost time!

LesleyAW

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 11:25:11 PM »

Hi Sparkle, yes, I know that feeling, I always make sure I take something with me just in case.  I find that eating protein with each meal helps, plus eating small and often, and am trying coconut oil now as I have heard it is great for balancing blood sugar.

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 12:24:37 PM »

I got to the stage with mine that I had to carry glucose tablets with me eg when out shopping or somewhere - this started happening before I was even peri-menopausal. Once I worked out that it generally happened mid-morning I started to have larger breakfasts with slow release food - so changing from Shreddies ( my children were still youngish!) to muesli or porridge with wholemeal toast and a piece of fruit -  this really helped. Sounds like you already know what to do :) . I'm not sure about the necessaity of taking anything to stablise blood sugar - but just by eating little and often, eating more protein, and cutting out/down all refined sugar and carbs for most of the time (ie cakes, biscuits, sweets etc) should have a dramatic effect. It has done with me (I know I'm post-meno so a bit different but I rarely get the shakes now and have even managed to lose some weight :)

Hurdity x