Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Changed from Premique low dose to Prempak C after supply problems.  (Read 16786 times)

kittyhawk

I wonder if anyone can advise... After being on Premique low dose very happily for 3 years, my doc changed my prescription to Prempak c after no luck getting hold of the Premique for over  a month (It's nationally out of stock with no date as yet for new supplies) Within 48 hours I felt terribly bloated and had a low dragging period type of pain. I have not had a period for at least 3 years and have no need to start again! I can see that on your site Prempak c is listed as being more suitable for peri menopause, and I am most definitely post... Th only low dose combined equivalent to the Premique seems to be Femoston. I have another consultation booked with my GP, but really don't want to continu with the Prempak a day longer. Can I switch back to my precious one month stash of Premique? I have had 6 days of he Prempak now. Any advice appreciated.  :-\

Dancinggirl

Re: Changed from Premique low dose to Prempak C after supply problems.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 01:02:16 PM »

Oh kittyhawk - you have a GP who doesn't know what he is doing - no surprise there!!! :bang:
He has changed you from a continuous preparation to a sequential preparation and the hormones are different in these HRTs. He should have given you another continuous HRT - something like Femoston conti 1/5 could be good but if Premique really suited you then I'd ask for Indivina 1/2.5 as this is the closest to Premique - it has the same progesterone which clearly suits you well.  I think you could switch back to the premique without too much bother but having started the Prempac C you may find you get a bit of spotting for a while.
Keep us posted.  DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 01:48:34 PM »

Hi kittyhawk

:welcomemm:

Dancinggirl is right about the progestogen. However when changing HRT types some women would also be sensitive to the change in oestrogen - particularly in this case - because the horse oestrogens in Premique/Prempak are a mix of oestrogens some of which do not occur in the human body and are somewhat stronger than estradiol - so there is not an exact equivalence.

Also the Prempak does not occur in a low dose so the doc has given you a preparation which is not only cyclical (and will induce a withdrawal bleed) but is also twice the dose. You side effects will be due either the sudden increase in oestrogens or the change in progestogen or both. No wonder you are experiencing side effects.

As Dancinggirl suggest I would go back to the Premique (but as she says you may get a slight bleed) and then go for a different preparation. The one you are on is the most old-fashioned, not bio-identical and the cheapest Depending on how old you are and how long you plan to stay on HRT, you might want to think of changing to a patch HRT but unless you are late 50's then carry on with the tabs. Femoston would be my choice if I had to take a tablet (as the oestrogen is bio-identical and the progestogen is close in type to our own natural progesterone) - but you will be likely notice a difference. As Dancinggirl says - Indivina has the same progestogen so you would only be changing one thing (the oestrogen) - so sounds like a good plan to start with.

Hurdity x

kittyhawk

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 09:42:04 PM »

Thanks so much for your advice, and the warm welcome, Dancinggirl and Hurdity! I've got a consultation booked with the GP and had a word with my fantastic pharmacist who agrees with you...  I am (only) 50 now so would like to stay on something for a while... I shall ask for the Femoston and see how I go with that, and if it doesn't work out I could maybe try the Indivina. I switched back to the Premique and felt better within 2 days, but that's the last of the stash!
Love and thanks again
Kittyhawk
 :)

Cinders58

• First Flush
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 10:55:52 PM »

Hello
Very interestied to read this;  Like you I couldn't get Premique, having happily taken it for 4 years.  My doctor prescribed Kilovance and misery ensued. Thrush irritation discharge and a general sense of being poorly.  Even the flushes and night sweats recurred;  In the end I sourced a supply of Premique on line.

My desperation has paid off. After a month I am almost back to normal;

Why do "private pharmacists have access to supplies?"

Shaon1978

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 09:51:40 PM »

Hi there
I know how u feel I was also on premique and because of the manufacturing problem have been put on another tablet.

Since taking the new tablets I feel awful mood swings are shocking feel really emotional and low all the time.

Have made an apt with my GP for tomorrow can't go in like this it's affecting everything.

Sharon x

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 11:04:33 PM »

Hi Cinders58

:welcomemm:

Glad you were able to get your usual HRT. I think many women find the change from Premique to Elleste or Kliovance to be problematic probably because of the different progestogen (E and K both contain norethisterone which seems to cause some sdie effects in some women). In addition to that the oestrogens are different (Premique is a mix of horse oestrogens whereas Kliovance contains just bio-identical estradiol) so the body is having to acclimatise to two completely different types of oestrogen and progestogen!

Shaon I hope you get sorted soon  :)

Hurdity x

JudyCat

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 03:08:16 PM »

Hi
I'm new here and am in the same position of not being able to get hold of Premique Low dose. Having just called a load of pharmacies - both private and NHS, would really, really appreciate it, if anyone who had managed to obtain any recently, could let me know where from (PM me if you'd rather).
I'm that desperate that I'm willing to pay for it privately.

TIA

Judy

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 08:47:53 PM »

Hi Judycat

:welcomemm: !

Good luck in your search - but don't hesitate to try something else rather than worry about running out  completely and having nothing!

Maybe introduce yourself in the new members section and tell us something about yourself and where you are in meno - why you've joined the forum etc?

Hurdity x

Monica

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 12:06:56 AM »

Hi
I've also struggled since not being able to get Premique, they seemed to be the only HRT which suited me. I started on Elleste which effected my breathing, I went to Premquie & felt great & since have tried Indivina which also effected my asthma & am now on Femoston. Since the changes from Premique I've put a stone on in weight, I'm miserable & my breasts are so swollen & hurt terribly. I just don't know what to do as the docs seem to just randomly keep trying alternative drugs when the current ones don't suit me. However I'm reluctant to come off them altogether as I'm only 44 plus I can't bear the hot flushes. Does anyone have any update on Premique?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 11:25:28 AM »

Monica - it is quite common to get the side effects you are experiencing in the first few months when changing to a different HRT but your body may well settle. I know it must be difficult at the moment but I would persevere for at least 3 months as Femoston is a good one to be on and once your body has adjusted it may well be OK. The painful breast should calm down. You are young so really need HRT. DG x