Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Hugh Fearnley-whittingstall - war on waste (rant alert) LOL  (Read 9631 times)

Hurdity

Re: Hugh Fearnley-whittingstall - war on waste (rant alert) LOL
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2015, 08:28:49 PM »

It was just the padded bags I was referring to - we give tons of stuff to charity shops or jumble sales - unfortunately we seem to get far more of them ( the bags) than we need to re-use and they are rather bulky so when the collections began piling up everywhere - something must be done as they were beginning to take over!

Great idea re the insulation - not that we need it much down here in SW - even my geraniums and some of the Diascia survived outside last year against an E facing wall of the cottage..... and I put things in the greenhouse to protect them - against the frost - this in itself is enough. Two or three years ago we had a couple of hard winters - so I'll get my stapler out to make a long sheet to cover all the pots along the wall!! Thanks!

As for the scones - also great idea - have done this in the past - I'm not eating carbs at the moment - well one meal a day sometimes and that's usually muesli but I will try to think of something to cook with it next time it happens ( rare though!).

I can't imagine anyone throwing away left-overs. We have all these little pots of stuff in the freezer and sometimes I take them all out ( well similar one) and combine them together. When all the children were small I used to do this regularly when my husband was away and I wanted to have a cooking free day - some of the combinations were interesting. I hoped the children wouldn't notice but sometimes they would say what's a pieces of X doing in this Y dish?  Freezer sweepings they were called ;D

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2015, 08:30:39 PM »

;D

Nervousnel

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2015, 12:27:13 AM »

Good idea for the padded bags.  I've been throwing those away.  I can't bear to throw away fabric.  Its got to be really bad for me to put it in the rag bag.  Then we take it to the local recycling place.  I make small items for a horse sanctuary to sell on their craft stall.   Love machining.  Old jeans are particularly good - denim items are very popular at the moment. Make bags out of old shirts.  ~Trouble is my house is overflowing with bits of 'stuff'.

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2019, 05:30:51 PM »

Anyone catch up with Hugh last night?  Can't believe it's 2 years since he began his campaign to get the country eating more healthy food stuffs.   Had forgotten  ::) ........ he was testing energy bars last night, surprisingly most have more sugars than a bowl of flakes!

Shadyglade

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2019, 05:47:05 PM »

I avoid HFW, far too annoying.

As for energy bars the clue is in the name. Sugar equals energy. It's the same with the so called healthy muesli bars.  Many schools allow them in lunch boxes but ban digestive biscuits which have far less sugar.

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2019, 08:26:54 PM »

Sugar is confusing  :D - what type converts to what and when/why  ::).  Reading 'sugar in the blood' at night, a lot of info., history and family [not my own] connections way, way back to the 1660s .........

Gangan

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2019, 09:16:59 PM »

He was filming in Bristol. One place built up on the slave trade. Maybe sugar has come back to bite us.

Gangan

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2019, 09:47:13 PM »

I think that it has.  Without any evil intention initially but gained popularity quite quickly.  Then as it became essential to get cane sugar to other parts of the World it had to be harvested quickly therefore labour was required.  Sadly the knowledge gained by improving the sugar cane industry wasn't acknowledged to the workers.

Tc

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2019, 09:53:07 PM »

Great thread And some brilliant points and tips.
I have been on my own for 3 years and can honestly and shamefully admit I have never wasted so much food since.
My wife who was 12 years older than me did all the cooking for 21 years and often was exasperated at my purchasing things like pre chopped onions in a bag, my insistance on going by the use by date and the  pre packed fruit which didn't get eaten cos I bought too much on BOGOFF!!

It has gradually dawned on me that I just need to buy more fresh Ingredients not vacum packed   supermarket stuff and therefore I can buy less. Only what I need for one. And maybe I need to learn to actually cook!!
I've been a real supermarket generation lazy shopper.
It's a mindset I'm trying to change
honest!

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2019, 10:00:25 PM »

There's a recipe thread here somewhere.

I don't cook.  Could if I really had to.  Batch cooking works for us.  It means we don't cook when really hungry ........ so no rubbish eaten.  I need to find something other than egg custards to munch when peckish.  I am currently trying to remember to reach for mixed fruits and nuts which are filling. 

Also, things don't go 'off' unless kept in a damp environment, i.e. leeks, lettuces, soft fruits - keep in the fridge or open air.  Peel back anything that looks 'off' ;-).  What do you like to eat in particular?  [new thread?]

Gangan

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2019, 10:03:35 PM »

.  Reading 'sugar in the blood' at night, a lot of info

Sounds interesting & think i will get this book. I worked one summer as a tour guide in a large country house open to the public owned by the Codrington family. Their wealth had been built on sugar plantations in Barbados. Nearest port Bristol.

Gangan

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2019, 09:16:24 AM »

I am slowly wading through the book.  The Author's 8x Maternal Grandfather went to Barbados.  The author's recent ancestors and her self are coloured but I haven't reached when the black gene arrived.  Once I've read it, I'll know more of what I read  ::) but how much I understand or remember is a different story. 

Gangan

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2019, 12:08:16 PM »

he was testing energy bars last night, surprisingly most have more sugars than a bowl of flakes!

Good too that he was calling out disingenuous marketing.  The low percentage of strawberry content in one bar with pictures of strawberries on the packet and the naming of the Goodness Kn*ws bar where money goes to charity in small print and not necessarily good for you.

I recently bought a tub of Horl*cks haven't drunk it for years and fancied it again. Swathes of barley on the front of a "Traditional" Original ? now with 46% wheat flour 26% malted barley and palm oil . Guess it still has malt in it so not entirely fibbing but it doesn't smell or look the same and tastes awful.

I need to wear my glasses more in the supermarket can't keep up with it all !

Gangan

Tc

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2019, 02:17:55 PM »

Stellajane. I know exactly what you mean. So many things come in twos and smaller portions are often more expensive. I hate eating the same thing two days running  it's bloody depressing
My mum tells me to cook a dish like chilli and freeze half. But my freezer is like an in explored territory. Things go in but nothing ever comes out. I can never think a head to defrost things  I'm scared to look in there!!!

Joaniepat

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2019, 03:43:02 PM »

Stellajane. I know exactly what you mean. So many things come in twos and smaller portions are often more expensive. I hate eating the same thing two days running  it's bloody depressing
My mum tells me to cook a dish like chilli and freeze half. But my freezer is like an in explored territory. Things go in but nothing ever comes out. I can never think a head to defrost things  I'm scared to look in there!!!
How about keeping a list of what's in the freezer? I'd never know what was in mine if I didn't. Getting used to buying food for one is a pain, it took me ages to get the hang of it after my OH died. It is uneconomical and there will be waste, but I'm resigned to that now. Also, if you live on your own you do end up eating some strange combinations, just to eat things up  ::)
JP x
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4