Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Oestrogen only - am I missing something?  (Read 3539 times)

Sunnydays

Oestrogen only - am I missing something?
« on: October 28, 2015, 06:43:35 PM »

I'm wondering if a bit of progesterone (synthetic or otherwise) might be good for me? A strange statement maybe, and I might be completely wrong but since I've been on oestrogen only I feel something is missing. Having had 4 months of a conti regime I made a change as (presumably) the progesterone element was making me irritable, tearful and more. Just under 3 weeks ago started on the oestrogen only (25mcg patch so only marginally more than what I was on before) and I could immediately feel the irritability 'lift' :))

A few tummy grumbles and a headache and I've adjusted to this slightly higher dose of oestrogen. I feel good but it's a strange feeling, almost unreal, unnatural ( I described it to my husband as being a synthetic feeling of feeling good) I almost feel I've lost a bit of spark!

Now I'm not grumbling at all and it might simply be this is what it feels like to be completely calm and collected and not easily riled by things!  There's just a 'je ne sais quoi' umph missing!
Any ideas??
PS i will be taking some progesterone at some stage to clear the womb lining so that angle is covered

GypsyRoseLee

Re: Oestrogen only - am I missing something?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 09:57:17 PM »

If it's of any help I know exactly what you describe. When I was on HRT and having a 'good' day I would feel happy but very nonchalant. I certainly felt I had lost my usual sparkiness and edge too.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 08:43:53 AM »

Hi Sunnydays - I don't think it's lack of progesterone that is making you feel like this! Maybe overthinking it? If you are feeling generally good then make the most of it! Even on 50 mcg oestrogen patch as I have been for more than 8 years I still don't have the same oomph as I had before I was post-menopausal - it just provides a constant level of oestrogen, gets rid of the negative symptoms and keeps me on an even keel, but without the highs and lows - with elation and rages - of the menstrual cycle!

A few years ago there were several of us on here that bemoaned this - that our get up and go and real enthusiasm for life and everything - is never quite regained ie we are not depressed - but not hugely excited either! However I have to be very enthusiastic in my (part-time) work so do seem to manage it when I need to! Whether a higher dose of oestrogen would help I don't know - and it would be good to hear from others who are post-menopause on a higher dose - but in my case I've left it too late as I'm in my 60's. I can't complain though  :).

See how you feel generally and maybe even increase the dose slightly at some point?

Hurdity x  :)

Cassie

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 09:16:18 AM »

I firmly believe its a balance of getting the hormones in sync, in a non meno female cycle, progesterone amongst other hormones would be playing their part so cannot think that using just oestrogen long cycle would be ideal, just my humble opinion though. Have you tried the Utrogestan which is a bio identical progesterone?

TheDuchess

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 09:26:46 AM »

If we are post meno though, we don't need progesterone, except to prevent hyperplasia of the endometrium.
I certainly felt yucky all my life when in the 2nd half of a cycle and I am quite glad to be shot of 'nasty progesterone' except for what I use on a longer-cycle sequential regime. I feel fantastic on just oestrogen. I rarely have migraines any more which I did when I was having a natural cycle.
For me personally, it's important not to link every passing mood or physical symptom  to the menopause. I feel better now than when I was in my 40s because I'm happier in my work- changed career at 50- have more time for myself, apart from blips when family stuff crops up.

Cassie

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 09:44:45 AM »

Well yes obviously if one is post meno and had a hysterectomy but otherwise I feel that it is vital to have regular progesterone and scans if not taking monthly.

TheDuchess

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 09:48:47 AM »

Just relating my personal experience for Sunnydays to give another opinion to how people feel on oestrogen-only most of the time.
I've not had a hysterectomy. I have scans as and when my dr advises.

Sunnydays

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 12:18:29 PM »

Thank you ladies - I agree with all the different angles of looking at this!
Cassie - I think also there is something to be said from being to follow some kind of hormone pattern
Hurdity - I know what you mean. I have a part time job for which I have to be very enthusiastic and I can indeed deliver the goods! Also, I think this calm feeling is new to me! I totally agree about not having the elation and rages of hormones. This certainly isn't depression. it's being even!
Duchess - it's great that you're not suffering from the symptons you have in your normal cycle of periods.
Gypsy Rose Lee - did you take progesterone and if so did it make any difference to how you felt?

I am certainly very pleased with how I feel - no complaints from me. My aching limbs have gone and it's nice to feel that I'm not going to explode with rage, slam a door or feel the need to throw something against a wall! Just such an unusual feeling!

Dana

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 11:48:44 PM »

I agree with Hurdity. I definitely don't have the same energy I had pre-meno. I used to be able to mow my own yard, spend hours outside gardening, be really fastidious about cleaning the house, go for 60 minute walks etc, but now I just can't be bothered. I do what needs to be done and that's it. My walks have now reduced to 30 minutes and I'm exhausted when I get home.

I feel fine otherwise. I'm perfectly happy with life. I'm not depressed or unwell. I just don't have the same “zip” I used to have. This might improve if I increased my dose of estrogen, but quite frankly I'm not prepared to have to also address the extra progestin that would probably need. So life has become what it has become, and that's okay.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 11:50:38 PM by Dana »

andius

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 02:47:53 AM »

Same thing for me.  No zip anymore.  Can't be bothered to do more than is needed these days. Big family events get me out of my "lazy" pattern and make me anxious now...I used to love them...i.e. holidays coming up.

Using conti patch at the moment.

Andius

TheDuchess

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 08:32:45 AM »

The thing is, none of us can prove that it's menopause that causes any of this lethargy or lack of energy. It could simply be getting older and losing enthusiasm for life which we had when younger.

Most of my friends who are almost 60 are dashing around all over the place, juggling kids, parents, work, and so on. Even many of my mum's friends who are anywhere from mid-70s to almost 90 have bags of energy. I do think some of it is a state of mind - it's not good to look back, we must look forward and embrace life as fully as we can. It's proven that doing new things, whether that's learning something new, getting a job, being more sociable, keeps people fitter and living longer.