Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 16 year old stabbing  (Read 7875 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: 16 year old stabbing
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2015, 07:07:15 PM »

as mud  :-\

Ju Ju

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2015, 07:51:07 PM »

After listening to the news about further swingeing cuts for the police forces, it was said that there would be far less police presence on the streets. Apparently there is no evidence that police walking around prevents crime and only makes people feel safer. Of course there is no evidence or statistics. How do you measure crimes that aren't committed, because the police are around?

In our area, police liaison officers have been withdrawn from schools, despite being very effective building good relationships with children with challenging backgrounds. Short term money saving exercise.

honeybun

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2015, 08:05:22 PM »

There was never anything like that at the school my kids went to. No police presence at all. Lots of prefects, a very strict head teacher....heck I knew him socially and I was scared of him  ::), an awful lot of what the head called his team, and though it wasn't perfect is was very good. Parents were desperate to get kids in as they took a few from other areas.

Nor sure I think police are necessary in schools if the school has an effective leadership and good teachers.

Honeyb
x

Ju Ju

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 09:29:38 PM »

But valuable in schools where many of the children come from challenging backgrounds. Good liaison officers can build supportive relationships with students, instead of being seen as the enemy. There was no need for police presence in the school my children went to.

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2015, 04:43:15 PM »

Short sighted: if a Police presence is easing potentially dangerous situations and the presence is removed, it will eventually cost more with the Policing, Court Appearances, Social Worker input etc.  >:(

Ju Ju

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2015, 05:50:41 PM »

Sadly, short term financial policies are undertaken, rather than investing longterm.

In the 90s I helped run a preschool group for parents and children in an area of great need, one parent families, unemployment etc. Brilliant job as we helped parents have the confidence to come into school, even when they had had negative school experiences. We were able to support with parenting issues, behaviour, etc. There was so much positivity from our parents. Then the funding was withdrawn.......

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2015, 07:07:25 PM »

Home Start is up and running in this area ……..

Ju Ju

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2015, 08:19:54 PM »

I used to be a volunteer with them.

honeybun

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2015, 08:22:12 PM »

What is Home Start.

I stay in a quiet coastal area, and have often thanked my lucky stars that my kids did not have to go to an inner city school. My son is very dyslexic and it was only because he was in a tiny primary and then not the biggest secondary that we could access help.
I was in school a lot...volunteering, PTA, you name it I did it to get access to the teaching staff that could help him.
How on earth do kids manage when they are just a number and not a child with a name.

We were so very lucky.

Honeyb
x

Taz2

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2015, 08:23:43 PM »

honeybun

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2015, 08:33:17 PM »

Thanks Taz, I had never heard of it before.

My kids primary had loads of parent helpers. We did reading and art and computing with them. I think the teachers and assistants appreciated the extra help and I loved it.

Honeyb
x

Joyce

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2015, 10:47:09 PM »

Secondary I went to had heaps of kids from different areas & backgrounds. One bad year we had a few expulsions of pupils who were caught consuming alcohol etc.  Police brought them back to apologise in front of whole school.

Some schools up beside us have had police offices incorporated into the building. One in particular has heaps of problems.

I knew a teacher back in the 70's who had all sorts to contend with. Being threatened with knives, chairs etc. It was common place at that school. This isn't something new, just something which we are more aware of.

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2015, 12:20:08 PM »

Schools have grown in numbers too …….. our Head knew every child by name and their back history whereas it seems that over-all the Headships are split into different parts of the Schools  :-\.  I have a friend who teaches and in 2 years has never seen the Head of School  :o ……. on the same site but he never walks round
Pages: 1 [2]