Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: HRT  (Read 2896 times)

pat21

HRT
« on: October 16, 2015, 12:59:55 PM »

May i ask what the general consensus is regarding how long a woman can stay on HRT?  I have been on Evorel Conti patches for 12 years (Im almost 65).. For the last 5/6 years I have been cutting them in half, so a very low dose. It stopped the awful flashes and night sweats and I mostly feel fine.. last week my Doctor told me he wants me to stop taking HRT (risks go up at my age) He gave me some Oestrogen gel and told me to wean off over 2 months (no real details of how little I should reduce the gel by), anyway, I decided to wean myself off my patch and cut a very small slither off the side, within 2 days my sweats were back and on Wednesday ( 1 week later) I have had spotting and period like pains. I felt so awful last night that I put my full half patch on again!.. I have read up on risks/benefits and I want to stay on it as long as I can. Some Doctors prescribe for women in their 70's and others, like my Doctor are not happy to do so. I would be interested to know what others think about this?

Joyce

Re: HRT
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 03:23:20 PM »

I kept getting told 60 was the limit. So as I turn 60 next year, I've been weaning myself off HRT for about 18 months. I'm only on oestrogen though.  My neighbour was still getting HRT until her late 70's.

We've discussed this subject off & on. Problem is doctors don't read the up to date research. Strangely, I thought seeing a female GP of a certain age, she would be more clued up. Eh, wrong! She would have had me off it 10 years ago if I'd let her. I saw another doctor & eventually some years later got appointment at local meno clinic. Even she said 60 was the limit though.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 04:25:03 PM »

As long as necessary? Quality of Life is important! If it ain't broke, don't fix it?

pat21

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 05:04:29 PM »

Thank you for your replies, I'm trying to collect as much info as poss and go back to my doc fully armed! I am damn sure that life for me is definitely one that includes HRT..  :)

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 07:03:09 PM »

Hi there pat21

I'm not sure what you mean by general consensus? Do you mean the opinion of women posting on here or the views of the medical profession, or what happens in practice?

Nowhere does it state clinically (as far as I know) that women should be made to stop HRT at any particular age or after a specific number of years provided there is no medical reason in her particular case not to continue.

This is what the British Menopause Society says about it - their consensus statement from 2013:
http://www.thebms.org.uk/statementpreview.php?id=1

The decision whether to use HRT should be made by each woman having been given sufficient information by her health professional to make a fully informed choice.
    The HRT dosage, regimen and duration should be individualised, with annual evaluation of pros and cons.
    Arbitrary limits should not be placed on the duration of usage of HRT; if symptoms persist, the benefits of hormone therapy usually outweigh the risks.

HRT prescribed before the age of 60 has a favourable benefit / risk profile.
    It is imperative that women with premature ovarian insufficiency are encouraged to use HRT at least until the average age of the menopause.
    If HRT is to be used in women over 60 years of age, lower doses should be started, preferably with a transdermal route of administration.
    It is imperative that in our ageing population research and development of increasingly sophisticated hormonal preparations should continue to maximise benefits and minimise side effects and risks.
    This will optimise quality of life and facilitate the primary prevention of long term conditions which create a personal, social and economic burden.

I've put in bold the bits that are relevant to your situation.

The new NICE guidelines (now in draft) also do not state anything about time or age limits.
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/GID-CGWAVE0639/documents/menopause-draft-guideline-nice2

The important thing is that women should be told of the published risks and given the choice whether or not to accept these risks.

Many GPs - such as presumably cubagirl's - adhere to the outdated notion of 60 - but there is no basis for this except that this is the magic age at which risks are said to increase (according to the evidence which in any case is also outdated and far too general to apply to all HRT types) - but it's an arbitrary age. If you look at the information here you will see that Dr Currie has evaluated the risks and benefits of HRT and between the ages of 60 and 70 the benefits equal the risks. http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/balance.php I fall into this category although I'm not 65 yet! I am lucky to have a part-time gynae GP who is happy for me to continue (although my regular GP is not so I don't see her any more!).

Some gynaes at menopause clinics also seem to specify this (form what some women on here have reported) but I'm not sure why, As far as I can see, they are just interpeting the results of the large trials that took place (ie the WHI study etc) and applying their own judgement to the data on risk, rather than simply informing the woman of these results, and letting her decide based on this knowledge

In your case it's even more ridiculous to apply this "rule" because you are as you say on a very low dose - which will also give some protection against osteoporosis even though it is half the recommended amount.

Unfortunately many of us are at the mercy of the outdated views of ill-informed doctors but hopefully the new NICE guidelines will help here in that no age/time limit is specified - just that treatment should be reviewed annually.

Hope this helps  :)

Hurdity x

pat21

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 10:01:04 PM »

Thank you Hurdity for your informative and helpful post. I have a much more positive outlook now I know I can ask for HRT while I need it.. Hormones are so powerful and even cutting back on a tiny bit can reduce quality of life..

I will let you know what happens with my Doc (should be interesting) and I am not backing down this time... I will even buy them myself if I have to!.

vickypk

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 07:36:43 PM »

Hi Pat21
Just to say it is good to read your post regarding Everol conti and that you have been using the patch for 12 years.  I am 58 and my GP has just started me on the patch.  I am only using a third of a patch at present but I am scared to increase. I did get side effects in the beginning, stomach cramps and headaches but they have settled.  Hope you are okay.

Best wishes
Vickypk

pat21

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 09:10:32 PM »

Hi vickypk, Evorel was the first HRT I started with (age 52) and it helped so much. I wish you all the best:)