Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: How to describe??  (Read 3701 times)

Angel45

How to describe??
« on: October 12, 2015, 10:52:28 AM »

Hi
Have made an appointment to see the doctor again, for a few months now every so often it's like I have to catch my breath, like I can't breath just for one intake of breath, This seems to be more often this month and it worries me as I think could pass out with it, I have to do a big breath myself then it's ok, not sure if I am describing it right or how to describe it, wondering if anyone else has had this and can describe it any better. Not sure if It is just another hormone blip or if something else.
I have felt off it most days now for the last 12 months so am also going to discuss bio-identical/ hrt just feel now that I am getting more and more stressed and anxious with it all and don't want to spend the next 10 yrs?? Like this.

A reminder I am nearly 46 and certain I in perimenopause, sorry just a fed up day again!!!

dazned

Re: How to describe??
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 11:13:23 AM »

Hi yes I've had this it's like I forget how to breathe properly ! It's for me anyway of form of anxiety and if I didn't make a concerted effort to breathe deeplyr it would go into a panick attack. So you are not alone with it,no real help other than to say have a look at some breathing techniques on you tube there are lots on there. Let us know how you get on at gp.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 11:19:33 AM »

Good idea also for them to do a blood tests to check iron levels etc as this can have the same effect. Also are you fairly fit re exercise etc? Good luck with the doc!  :)

Hurdity x

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 11:40:17 AM »

It's an anxiety thing for me too.And unfortunately the most you focus on it the worse it seems.

I do agree with Hurdity though, best to get it checked out.

Honeyb
x

Angel45

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 12:42:52 PM »

Thanks ladies, I am reasonably fit I compete with my dogs most weekends in summer and train them weekly all year round. I could be fitter which is my aim over winter, I am feeling quite anxious now a lot of the time I used to be quite laid back, the doctor who listens to me is on hi day for next 2 weeks so I have an appointment when she comes back.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 02:27:50 PM »

I find that I need to take a deep breath quite often.  Worse when my body feels 'fat' which is usually due to slow transit  ::).  Or when I'm slumped on the sofa …….. so for me it's also postural.

Dyan

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 03:39:25 PM »

I get this when I'm particularly anxious.
I was told once that it's not the breathing in that's important  :-\ but the breath you exhale, as this apparently relaxes you

Briony

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 06:05:35 PM »

I agree, get it checked out but it does sound very familiar. I can feel almost out of breath when simply  talking when it strikes, yet I am generally very fit. Strangely, I never get it when I am doing anything physical!

Angel45

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 07:46:21 PM »

Yes I have been away for the weekend with the dogs, I have run around the courses been a bit out if breath at the finish but that's usual for me and most people but I was ok then, only a minute run, but driving to Pilates this morning it happened so I spent most of the class and all day worrying about it, I'm just concerned that it's not a menopausal symptom but something else, the more I worry about it the worse it gets, vicious circle.
thanks for sharing your experiences

Angel

Dandelion

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 12:39:00 AM »

I get this when I'm particularly anxious.
I was told once that it's not the breathing in that's important  :-\ but the breath you exhale, as this apparently relaxes you
The exhale always does feel more relaxing doesn't it?
I read that if you put your awareness in the physical feeling in the tip of your nose.
I also learnt a technique on a cbt course called castle breathing, which I always forget to use, but it is effective, and it goes:
Inhale for two
hold for two
exhale for two
hold for two,
repeat... and you can see how this would also be visually similar to the shape of a castle.
I think it would be what I would use if my panic attacks manifested themselves in that way, but mine manifest in feeling like I am going to faint or be sick, or really awkward, legs go to jelly, having to sit down.
If this happens when I am trying to stand up for myself it makes me more vulnerable to verbal abusive types, but sorry to stray off the thread.