Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Appt with Annie Evans  (Read 3186 times)

Chi chi

Appt with Annie Evans
« on: October 15, 2015, 06:23:43 PM »

Just a little update as I had my appt today. First off she was so lovely! Really down to earth and took time explaining things  :)
I explained that I'd been seeing Prof Studd and that he decided to prescribe Yaz along with testim, I asked her opinion and she said that she prefers to prescribe Qlaira as its more natural and that I could also top that up with 2 pumps of oestrogel or sandrena and also testim. She also said I could try the mirena again and to stop the bleeding (this was a problem when I had it before) I could use sandrena or oestrogel along with it.

I'm gonna hold off on the mirena for now and try either Qlaira or Yaz but which one?? As we were a little late (bloody traffic) we didn't get the full 45 min appt and she had her next appt waiting I didn't really get time to discuss all the differences between them, I know the Qlaira is bio but that's about it really and I was hoping to get a bit of advice from here, if I could?

Thanks in advance  :)

Briony

Re: Appt with Annie Evans
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 08:47:19 PM »

That's really interesting and I am reassured she recommended Qlaira as some doctors have not even heard of it (which makes me wonder if it's right for me).

I would say you need to consider the following:

Q 's estrogen is bio identical so it's less potent, but potentially ever so slightly safer
Y has a constant dose of estrogen but Q has two days of 1 mg, two days of 3, two blank days and the rest 2mg
Y has the same dose of prog all the time, apart from the four blank days - Q has differing levels of prog with slightly more prog free days than Y
The progesterone in Y is possibly more controversial, but this is partly due to the fact Q is so new, it's less well researched
Due to the less potent estrogen, Q attracts more spotting, especially in the first few months
Q only has two blank days, Y has four, but Q has more ups and downs of dose through the month.

I went for Q first as it is potentially safer, knowing I could always go up to a full bcp later.

If you try Q, give it time. I had side effects at first - itching and sore boobs, plus fatigue occasionally, but after three months this went.

Good luck xxxx

Chi chi

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 09:13:43 PM »

Thanks again Briony X
I think I'm gonna try the Qlaira first purely because it's bio, re the possibility of spotting as she also recommended to use oestrogel/sandrena presumably that will help with that? Tbh I'm not even that bothered about spotting if it helps with the up and down moods etc  :)

Briony

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 09:23:08 PM »

I did get severe itching but only for a few days. Mood wise, after a few months I definitely felt steadier than I had for years. Although I get spotting, it's not bad at all. Besides, I now no longer get any bleed at all at the end of the pack  :) x

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 09:47:43 PM »

I think taking either Yasmin or Qlaira and topping up with Oestrogel sounds like an excellent plan. Did she say when you should top up with Oestrogel?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 09:53:30 PM »

I think you should see 1 or other though, either stick with Prof Studd or Annie …….. the latter sounds more sympathetic ?

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 08:11:02 AM »

Glad you got on well with Annie Evans Estelle and good luck with your next plan! Did she comment on your previous regime and the implants etc and why you might not be feeling good on the treatment you've been having, or was there not time for this?

Hurdity x

Chi chi

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 08:32:41 AM »

That's good to know Briony  ;)
No she didn't specify when to take the gel just 2 pumps/sachets a day. I intend to carry on seeing her as she is much more sympathetic, she's been through everything that were going through and she's also cheaper  ;)

Just seen your post Hurdity, she said she doesn't like to use the implants as there's no control with them, theyre in and that's it!
She also said that going onto the prog only pill after the mirena was prob the worst thing my GP could have done and that lots of GP's don't realise that if you suffer bleeding while using the mirena all they need to do is prescribe oestrogen and that stops it!
I could have sat and chatted to her all day, she was so nice but there just wasn't time.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 03:55:25 PM »

That sounds a lot more sensible!  let us know how you get on !

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 07:04:42 PM »

I thought she was nice too Estelle!  :)

Hurdity x