Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Small movable lumb in crease of arm where blood is taken  (Read 5276 times)

countrybumpkin

Small movable lumb in crease of arm where blood is taken
« on: October 04, 2015, 05:19:23 PM »

Trying not to freak here ;D  I have had a few movable lumps in the past on leg and finger that I was told were cysts of synovial fluid attached to tendons but yesterday exactly where they take blood from in the centre of elbow crease on right arm was aching and when I rubbed it I could feel a lump about the size of a sultana. I can push under it and you can see it though the skin.

I have Dr appt for WEdnesday and am hoping that its just another of these cysts but of course worst case scenario is kicking in.

Only thing I had been doing the day before was  using garden clippers where you are constantly opening and shutting your hand which may or may not be relevant.

Anyone else had one of these?

honeybun

Re: Small movable lumb in crease of arm where blood is taken
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 06:27:34 PM »

Not exactly but I have a lump under my collar bone that is moveable. It's much bigger than a sultana, maybe large grape size. I can move it around. The GP said it was a benign cyst and not to worry....so I don't.

When was the last time you had blood taken ? .....from that arm.

I have also had a really big ganglion on my wrist which was thumped by a large book....and I have a pretty large one on a finger which I'm too cowardly to bash.

It seems to be the age for weird lumps and bumps that mean nothing.

Ask your GP to have a look if it hadn't gone by then....bet it's nothing though.

Honeybun
X

countrybumpkin

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 06:31:56 PM »

I've never had blood taken from that arm cos they can't get any so many a year since they last tried.

I am very prone to ganglions  and cysts so fingers crossed its another. 

Tis scary though feeling any lump :o

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 07:05:35 PM »

Absolutely....you should see the state of my finger, this thing is growing by the second I think. Then it bursts and hurts like hell.....then it grows again  ::)

I did ask my GP...his answer was get hubby to bash it with the family bible ......well we don't have one of those.  ::) He also said I could have it cut out but it would probably grow back.

Oh the joys of getting older. My dad had them too.....

Honeybun
X

countrybumpkin

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 08:08:59 PM »

My husband has a ganglion on his wrist and about once a year it gets very big and he goes into his workshop and wallops it with a toffee hammer :o  He says its a fine line between bursting the ganglion and needing his wrist in plaster but so far he has managed it every time.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 09:12:23 PM »

The Family Bible usually does the trick: apparently  ::)

They can recur following surgical removal. 

countrybumpkin

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 01:21:19 PM »

Update
Saw GP this morning and he had a good press and wobble of my lump which made me yelp and he said he is not worried it is anything nasty. He said its attached to the big tendon that goes down my arm so most likely a cyst/ganglion of some kind.  He said leave well alone but if it continues to grow he would send me to a plastic surgeon for it to be removed but they would only remove it if it was causing movement problems.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 03:14:38 PM »

Are you relieved?

countrybumpkin

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 04:38:37 PM »

I was 99% certain that was what he was going to say but wanted to hear it from him rather than me assuming it was okay to ignore it.  For many reasons I have far too much medical knowledge which can be a blessing and a curse and have on many occasions been asked by a Dr if I am a Dr as I ask the sort of questions Dr's would ask so its very embarrasing to have to say no just well informed!

So the informed rational part of my brain was saying its nothing to worry about but show him for reassurance but the " lets get into a panic" part of the brain was panicking ::)

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 05:27:19 PM »

At least with background knowledge you can 'push'  ;)

countrybumpkin

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 05:42:26 PM »

At least with background knowledge you can 'push'  ;)

Yes I am Drs worst nightmare as I ask all the questions and want answers, I used to work in a Dr and did all the drug prescriptions so thats useful too! 
To be honest its been more of a blessing as it has come in useful when helping others.
Mind you I never forget when my mum in law was being discharged from hospital at 88 after a heart attack and I had not been able to see any Dr while she was there so insisted I see one before we took her home and I got what I can only guess was a very junior Dr.  The poor young lad could not answer a single question I put to him and once onto her drugs he said that I knew more than he did!  I felt sorry for him in the end and said " never mind I will discuss with her GP" and he thanked me ;D

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 05:55:18 PM »

Bet he scurried off to read the MIMS  ;)

honeybun

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 06:28:25 PM »

Glad it's what you thought it was.....just forget it now unless it gets much bigger.

My finger one reached epic proportions over the weekend so I got hubby to thump it. A second of excruciating pain and then a much more mobile finger.

I like to ask lots of questions too....a doctors worse nightmare  ::)

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 07:06:34 PM »

OUCH!

countrybumpkin

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 09:43:46 PM »

Glad it's what you thought it was.....just forget it now unless it gets much bigger.

My finger one reached epic proportions over the weekend so I got hubby to thump it. A second of excruciating pain and then a much more mobile finger.

I like to ask lots of questions too....a doctors worse nightmare  ::)

Honeybun
X

I have just winced in sympathy with your finger :o  Glad its better for a bit.