Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: New ... thought I was doing okay but ...  (Read 2626 times)

Kittycat50

New ... thought I was doing okay but ...
« on: October 01, 2015, 12:20:49 PM »

Hello Everyone,  a bit about me: I'm 50 and about a year ago started to put together all of the peri symptoms which I'd been experiencing over the previous few years - the penny dropped ???

In Jan this year I was unhappy with my increasingly low sex drive (in the 'once I got going was okay' camp) and hubby has been very supportive.  This led to Googling and finding this fabulous forum, and a visit to the Doc in April (she's been great and also recommended this site).   Had the FSH test and a good chat about HRT and the other options - especially as Doc had said HRT might not help with the libido, and decided to give it try - Femoston 1/10. 

So, I'm now on my 4th month with Femoston - the first 3 months were good in that I had no adverse effects and suddenly felt like my old self, and the bleeds could be predicted.  The only negative is some breast tenderness and my bleed was for 7 days whereas before it was 4/5 days.  I don't know if it's the 'fixing' of the other things (sleep, mood etc) but interest in sex has returned, which is great.

I'm on day 13 of the estradiol pill and a full bleed has started today and I'm so disappointed :o.  I take it regularly 8 - 8.30 am and haven't missed.  No upset stomach issues, but a bit constipated. 

Things seemed to be going so well - I thought how lucky I was to get on with it and so quickly, I'd struck lucky!  So my question is, is this early bleed usual and how many months should I give it before going back to my lovely lady GP.

Thank you Kittycat

ancient runner

Re: New ... thought I was doing okay but ...
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 12:35:35 PM »

Not an expert on full HRT but have seen others post on here that if you're perimenopausal it's not uncommon for your own hormones to kick in and override the HRT you're taking. It sounds like it might be that? Good luck - someone who knows what they're talking about will be along soon!

Kittycat50

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 12:52:32 PM »

Thanks Ancient Runner.  That's sounds possible and if so I guess each month might be different.  If that's the worst of it (am I kidding myself!) I should think myself lucky. ;)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 02:11:17 PM »

:welcomemm:

probably your own hormones joining in  ::)

Do you keep a food/mood diary for comparison each month?

Kittycat50

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 02:49:25 PM »

Ha! It seems there's always something around the corner to catch us out. I've picked up some old threads on your own hormones and HRT so will ride out the next couple of months.

I don't keep a food/mood diary - although one of the things I've come to realise over the last 2 years is the link with alcohol and dairy in causing my sinus to flare up, which in turn means if I'm also under the weather it develops further!  I'd read about aged food and histamines, but perhaps it's more to do with hormones.   So I guess you are on to something there!  What types of things do you know a diary might illustrate so I can look out for them?  Thank you for the suggestion, a helping hand is always good. 

This is an amazing forum - so pleased I came across it and will share it at every opportunity :D

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 02:54:59 PM »

I have an anxiety measure: 1-5, 5 being when I have to take the emergency med..  I tick on the calendar if I get too many days where anxiety is a nuisance.

Periods, food, moods are all interconnected.  Some people find that eating 3 hourly can ease any anxiety surges.  That's 3 hourly 24/7 in the night if necessary.  So keeping a food diary to see if you react, i.e. with alcohol.  Quite common I believe  ;).

I found that hoovering more thoroughly particularly around our bed and over the mattress weekly has got rid, mostly, the effects of allergic rhinitis.  DH wields a mean hoovery-thingy  ;D.  I sneeze a lot less!

As oestrogen levels drop muscles can become lax which includes those that we don't think of ……. so gentle exercise can help too.  We have a walking and cycling thread here - if you use the 'search' button they should pop up!

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 04:26:02 PM »

Hi Kittycat50   :welcomemm: from me too.

You mention the bleed on Day 13 of the estrogen only tabelts - is this in addition to the withdrawal bleed you experienced when you changed back to the estradiol tablets or is it another bleed?

Women do vary in when the withdrawal bleed occurs and as others have said your own hormones can override the HRT which isn't strong anough to suppress your natural cycle - which will be erratic in any case if you are peri-menopausal.

There are other factors which can affect absorption of oral HRT too - so this could also be a factor.

Hopefully it will all settle down soon - and you continue to feel better  :)

Hurdity x

Kittycat50

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 04:52:30 PM »

Hi Hurdity, I think I may have been a little unclear.

I'm still on Femoston 1/10 (14 oestradiol then 14 Dydrogesterone) and for the first 3 months all was good - a bleed towards the very end of the 14 days progesterone.  Although now that I think about it the bleed was earlier in month 3 - after about 5 days of progesterone. This month, 4, I'm on day 13 of the estrogen pills and a proper bleed has started, so I've not even started the progesterone pills. 

But it does seem quite likely that as I'm peri and as my natural periods were getting gradually closer that my own cycle is overriding the HRT.

It is reassuring to know this isn't unusual.  I'll see how it goes over the next few months before thinking about changing, as I actually feel so much better in myself. 

Thank you  :)

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 10:13:28 PM »

Nothing is 'perfect' but if you are already feeling better, stick with it?