Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: VA problems - help please!  (Read 3646 times)

Zoo1

VA problems - help please!
« on: September 23, 2015, 05:59:45 PM »

Hello Everyone,

I have been using Ovestin cream for VA for about 5 years and has worked fine.

In the last 4 weeks my VA symptoms have flared up really badly, worse than I have ever had them. Even walking/sitting is painful and so sore, feels like I have sandpaper and razor blades there :( :(

I have gone back  to using the Ovestin cream every day for 2 weeks to see if that improves things but I am finding it difficult to cope in the meantime.

I have tried using Replens but it seems to sting which is awful and doesn't seem to be much help.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to what I could try and use to help the soreness/itchyness while I wait (hopefully) for the extra Ovestin doses to improve things for me?

BTW I am in the processes of moving on to full HRT which should also help.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: VA problems - help please!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 06:04:27 PM »

When did you last have an examination down there?  I can relate to the razor blades, that's how it felt for me  :o!

When did you start using every night?  Are you able to insert the Ovestin high enough to make a difference?  If not, I suggest using it in the morning and evening for 3 days so that the vagina keeps lubricated, easing it gently so that you get further 'in' each day. 

Zoo1

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 06:29:53 PM »

Hi CLKD,

Its such a terrible feeling isnt?   :( :( :( Hope your not suffering from it now.

I am going to the doctors tomorrow so hopefully she will examine me then.

I started using Ovestin every day about 5 days ago. I am able to get the Ovestin cream high up inside me ok, that doesnt seem to be a problem. The soreness/dryness/itchyness problems seems to be mainly on the outside part and inner edges of my vagina (labia?)

Using it twice daily sounds like a good idea. If I used it twice daily should I use half the dose in morning and half in evening or just full dose morning and evening?

Thanks for the help.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 06:33:57 PM »

If you are seeing your GP tomorrow I would wait and see what is suggested.  Dryness on the outer lips can be eased by Vaseline/Savlon applied often.  I have in the past used KY Jelly there ……. it eases any itchiness.  I have been advised by the ladies here not to sit in the bath too and some find that they an't use soap products when showering.  'simple' soap or aloe vera has been found useful by some.

It really is Trial and Error ain't it  >:(  ::)

Let us know what your GP suggests.

LizeeeH

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 01:49:45 PM »

yes Ive had this too, was put on vagifem which seemed to help.....stopped taking that 2 months ago and just seeing how it goes ;)

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 04:26:22 PM »

Sorry to hear this Zoo1. Moving to full HRT should definitely help as it will give you a base-line level of oestrogen which the Ovestin will then add to. I use systemic HRT and local oestrogen to keep things comfortable as do a number of us.

How old are you and how far into menopause - ie what are your periods doing?

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 07:26:21 PM »

How did you get on?

Zoo1

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 08:16:30 AM »

Hi CLKD - Doc was very nice. Took a swab and gave me steroid cream to use which I have tried but not much help. She is not sure that it is related to VA possibly thrush?. Results of swab today. I have treated myself for thrush with not much improvement so will wait to see what results show.

Hi Hurdity - I am 53 but had an early menopause 11 years ago. I started needing to use Ovestin cream about 5 years ago which has been helpful. My bone density has signficantly reduced during this time so that it is likely I will have full blown Osteoporosis in the near future if I continue to loose bone density at this rate so the consultant wants me to try full HRT for the next 5 years to protect my bones. I have tried several combinations but found the side effects very difficult and so far have not found anything that suits me.

Am hoping to move to Oestrogel and vaginal utrogestan and see if that suits me better.

peegeetip

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 08:54:14 AM »

Hi Zoo1

sorry you've had such a time.

I think your story should be whats in the mind of most doctors when they refuse ladies HRT because its too early.
Some post lately from others who've been refused.

Why aren't you moving to Gel and Utro now?
Giving you steroid cream for down there is just wrong.
Steroid creams are known to thin the skin and doing this in skin that should be "plump" from estrogen is just wrong.
No wonder your finding it not much help.
I found my mother had been using it for years without much help either, was really annoyed at her doc.

Which HRT's have you tried before and how long for each?

The Gel and Utro are great.
Remember though you'll have to be fastidious with the application of the gel. If you are not then you wont be getting enough.
One route you can go down with this as an alternative.
Keep the utro. However start the Estrogen with tablet form (2mg+). You'll need a high dose as 2mg is the recommended starting dose to treat Osteoporoses. Anything less and its not going to be enough for you at this tricky stage.
If you get the dosage in 1mg tablets then you can start to try and move to gel option gently. 1mg and the rest in gel.
Remember you can spread taking the 2 * 1mg tablets across the day. So later you can take a tablet in the evening and get some gel in the morning when you have a shower for example. If it works well (gel) then you can move fully too it. Again you can have some in the morning and some later in the day before you goto bed :)
See how it goes and how it fits in with your life.

The choice is yours but you want to make this as easy as possibly initially and hang on for a while (at least 6 months)  :o.

Hope that helps
 :-*