Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Are patches better for us than pills ..........  (Read 4264 times)

Pollie

Are patches better for us than pills ..........
« on: October 04, 2015, 01:50:01 PM »

.........     and if so why does anybody take oral HRT ??

Really interested to hear people's thoughts and experiences

Pollie

robotwars

Re: Are patches better for us than pills ..........
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 02:51:17 PM »

I was told that if you use a patch it doesn't go through your liver, so doesn't cause as many digestive problems, this is why i'm trying the patch

Limpy

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 03:42:09 PM »

I believe patches are preferable. Like RW says they don't go through the liver, also they bypass the stomach, making them less susceptible to stomach upsets or diarrhea.

It is possible to get sensitised or allergic to them, where they cause angry red sore areas. That could be a reason why ladies use oral hrt?

jedigirl

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 03:48:07 PM »

I tried patches for three months but struggled to get them to stick properly. Also they made my skin underneath so red,itchy that i had angry hexagons all over my backside! I also hated that every time i went to the loo or had a bath i was reminded that i needed HRT(it was early days, i was still accepting the fact)
I do however use Sandrena gel, and take Utrogestan tablet. Find them more user friendly. Each to their own i guess ;)

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 04:19:57 PM »

The reason women take oral HRT is that it is more convenient!

As you get older (near to 60's) or have been on HRT for some time and also for certain health issues, patch or gel HRT is considered to be associated with less risk than tablet HRT. Even so the absolute risks so far identified with HRT are very small, otherwise it wouldn't be prescribed.

Hurdity x

Briony

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 08:35:03 PM »

I never understand why hrt patches are lower risk, yet with contraceptives, the pill form is a lower risk than the patch. Seems really strange?

Pollie

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 09:37:27 PM »

Really ?? Is that really it ?! 

I started on oral hrt but could never remember to take the flipping things !!  ;D

I thought if I only had to remember twice a week I would have more chance of success, and it wouldn't matter too much if I forgot as I would just go over a day..... Once a week was even better for me as I just had to remember to change my patch on a weekend day ... ::)

Limpy

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 09:22:24 AM »

I never understand why hrt patches are lower risk, yet with contraceptives, the pill form is a lower risk than the patch. Seems really strange?

Not totally sure but perhaps the dosage in the HRT patch is less than in the pill?
I seem to remember reading something about the dose in the contraceptive patch had to be higher. Something to do with ensuring enough hormone got through to prevent pregnancy, the amount for HRT not being seen as, as critical.

Briony

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 05:01:00 PM »

Limpy, that makes sense. I guess the progesterone it it could be more potent too.

Briony

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 05:07:00 PM »

Really ?? Is that really it ?! 

I started on oral hrt but could never remember to take the flipping things !!  ;D

I thought if I only had to remember twice a week I would have more chance of success, and it wouldn't matter too much if I forgot as I would just go over a day..... Once a week was even better for me as I just had to remember to change my patch on a weekend day ... ::)

Pollie

Have to admit, I am one of those who finds the pill more convenient - simply because I always take it at the same time I brush my teeth, so it's routine. It is also combined with progesterone, so I dont have to remember the twelve days of Utrogestan (which again, I used to forget - and I also found the vaginal route a bit of a faff, even though I had no side effects from it). With the patch, I kept forgetting to change it. Also used to get fed up with taking off the wrapper and getting rid of the 'sexy' black marks (thank goodness for Baby Oil).

Writing it here, it sounds silly, but that really was one of my reasons for changing - pill is so much simpler. I also found I had fluctuations on the patch, which I dont get with a pill - though possibly because I now have a stronger dose.