Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Crying and more crying  (Read 1922 times)

pricey

Crying and more crying
« on: September 24, 2015, 09:59:19 AM »

Hi Ladies,

Been off for a few days just trying to get on top of symptoms which have included mild flushes and night sweats, feelings of panic and breathlessness, dry mouth and throat. Periods fairly regular but vary from 22-28 days. Only things I've had suggested by Dr and Practice Nurse are citalopram and mirena for the flooding! I have been using magnesium & lavender oil spray which seems to be helping the sleep disturbances and have upped my iron supplements as my levels are low, I also started using progesterone cream again (tried a few years back for heavy periods). Still having breathless/collwobble attacks and dry mouth and throat (nurse says this is allergy-related) and have now started panicking when swallowing dry food (it was a tiny tricky one day when my throat and mouth were extra dry so now, of course, I'm focussing on it. If I'm distracted, it's fine; as soon as I focus on it . . bam!) So now I'm convincing myself of all sorts even though I know I've had this issue in the past with bad anxiety. Anyway, day 23 of cycle: I've had about an hour's sleep and have pretty much been in tears off and on for 12 hours. I know the dreaded period is on the way. This is weepy pms to the max. My poor husband didn't know what to do/say to console me before he left for work. Is this normal for peri? And are anti-depressants and the mirena the only option? I really don't want either!!

GypsyRoseLee

Re: Crying and more crying
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 10:54:55 AM »

Oh you poor thing. I recognise so much of what you describe (as will most of us on here).

A couple of years ago my cycle started mucking about. Anything between 22 and 30 days. But I didn't have flooding, instead my periods suddenly became very light, more like heavy spotting.

But my PMS went through the roof and then out of the blue I started suffering with anxiety, for no reason at all.

To cut a long story short I am now back on the Pill for the first time in over 12 years and it's been a miracle pill for me. I take the packs back to back, with no 7 day break, and I am feeling better than I have done in years.

Sadly GPs still know so little about hormones and their first reaction is to always offer ADs without checking a bit deeper.

But if you're periods are going haywire and you're having night sweats then it's almost certain that your ovaries are failing and you are reacting to the hormonal fluctuations.

In some cases ADs can work well alongside HRT but ADs should not be the first line of treatment for menopausal women.

Kathleen

Re: Crying and more crying
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 11:05:12 AM »

Hello pricey and so sorry you are suffering.

As GRL says many of us recognise your symptoms as hormonal and your GP should at least consider HRT as a treatment!

You say a period is on it's way and I'll bet you feel a lot better when it arrives. If that happens then that's all the proof you need that hormones are the problem!

Wishing you well, I know how tough this can be so sending hugs.

K.