Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Worried about my 21yr old son  (Read 8804 times)

honeybun

Re: Worried about my 21yr old son
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2015, 03:39:44 PM »

I just know boys CLKD, when to talk to them, when not too.....and when to leave well alone  ::)

They are awkward at the best of times but if your trying to tell them what to do you are flogging a dead horse.
Coming from dad....plant the seed....sit back and watch it grow.

Honeybun
X

Joyce

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2015, 05:02:16 PM »

Lads of that age seldom listen to their mums, as I know too. Get his dad to have a quiet word, that's what I used to do. They seem to accept stuff better from a male. Might not stop your son's habit, but the seed will be sewn as HB says.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 08:06:09 PM by cubagirl »

Ju Ju

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2015, 05:31:03 PM »

Worrying about your children is part of the job description for being a caring, loving parent!

Do tell him about the diabetes in the family if only to stop him saying you should have told him at a later stage. Sadly, as others have said, children do hate unsought after advice. After all parents don't know anything or are too old to remember! Sometimes the message comes more successfully from other sources. However, you cannot help anyone if they don't want to be helped as they have to do the work. All you can do is be supportive.

I do wonder if there is some background issue or stress that is behind this as in comfort eating or whether he is actually very thirsty and sugary drinks are what he craves rather than water. You say he pees a lot, which of course can be the result of drinking a lot or could be health symptoms. Is he healthy or does get very tired and lethargic? 

getting_old

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2015, 02:10:11 AM »

Do you know what period of time the 45 cans were drunk over? If some had bacteria it sounds like it might be over a long period of time.

Did you ask him how many he actually drinks in a day? Maybe just asking might make him think about it. It's worth checking. I used to drink one can of something fizzy at work most days, occasionally I'd get a second can because the first, half-drunk can had gone flat or warm. I never had more than one can so was really surprised when a friend commented on my excessive fizzy drink habit. She said that because the can was always there she assumed I was drinking about 5 or 6 each day :o

Also is it worth trying to introduce him to slightly healthier options such as flavoured waters (I know they're not great, but most are better than normal fizzy drinks).

purplenanny

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2015, 08:01:00 AM »

Just caught up with this, I am so sorry Dyan, what a worry.

it is hard when your Son is an adult living at home -I have  been there with mine, done that, got the tee shirt, as they say!! Not easy

I think man to man is a good idea and a little insight to the family history. Nothing heavy and 'obviously it's your life and you are not a kid anymore, but your Mum and me are just a bit concerned, that's all'

I don't know your son and you may throw that out with the water, but just my thoughts.

sending love and hugs, try not to worry too much.  PN x x

Dyan

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2015, 06:55:32 PM »

:thankyou: CB juju go & PN

I spoke with my DD today and she is willing to talk to him.
I told her it's not for her to do that but she said he listens to her ;) and she doesn't mind.
So we'll see :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2015, 06:59:03 PM »

Will he be bothered about your talking behind his back ….. maybe DD has a stealthy way of raising the subject  ;)

Dyan

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2015, 07:01:24 PM »

I don't know :-\ maybe.
DD will say that we are worried about him but she is good at putting things across and they do get on quite well.
I just hope it doesn't upset things on that respect :-\

honeybun

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2015, 07:10:21 PM »

That's a really good idea.
My son and daughter get on very well and she will go....in a much more direct way....than I would ever dare.

Good luck.

Honeybun
X

Limpy

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2015, 07:33:04 PM »

Dyan - it would be really good if your DD could get over that lots of sugary drinks are not a good thing.

About 15 years ago, somebody (a 26 year old male) who was in my team at work ended up drinking lots of sugary drinks, ok he was on holiday and it was hot but he was found to have diabetes. Please get him checked.

GeordieGirl

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2015, 07:52:13 PM »

Sugary drinks are bad for you (and equally so if they're the diet variety as they contain aspartame) - the World Health Organisation recommends less than 25g of sugar per day. ONE can of Pepsi has 41g.

Getting him to change is another matter, my next door neighbour's daughter is a similar age and is rarely without a can of 'Monster' drink or Red Bull in her hand and just groans when I grimace at her. My teens have never liked coke but were partial to lemonade and  squashes, as well as shop bought orange juice. It's been easier for me to get them to change as I stock the cupboards, but instead I make sure we always have jugs of fresh, cold water available with various fruit in for a subtle taste (or mint is particularly popular). It's taken a while, but now they show little interest in anything sugary.

Have you spoken to your son about the dangers of what he's drinking? Whilst health is often at the very back of someone's mind when they're that age, there are issues that may appeal to his more vain side - his teeth are likely to be suffering badly with such an onslaught.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tooth+decay+sugary+drinks&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=643&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMI14yytOT0xwIVBkAUCh1aWwG8

Best of luck!
GG x

Ju Ju

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2015, 02:29:27 AM »

Dyan - it would be really good if your DD could get over that lots of sugary drinks are not a good thing.

About 15 years ago, somebody (a 26 year old male) who was in my team at work ended up drinking lots of sugary drinks, ok he was on holiday and it was hot but he was found to have diabetes. Please get him checked.

Yes, I was wondering about diabetes too.

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2015, 11:52:23 AM »

I'm waiting  ;D

Limpy

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2015, 02:32:07 PM »

I'm waiting  ;D

What are you waiting for CLKD?

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2015, 04:30:26 PM »

News about how DD got on talking with DS  ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3