Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: List of more unusual menopause symptoms - what are yours?  (Read 118957 times)

honeybun

Re: List of more unusual menopause symptoms - what are yours?
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2015, 12:49:35 PM »

The way I understand the dry eyes watering is that the liquid layer over your eyes need enough tears to keep it in place.....heck that was scientific  ;D.....and if your eyes are not producing enough the balance is wrong.

I use the spray on stuff and find it really good.

Personally I think I'm falling to bits  ::).....and I really wish I was kidding. I never thought being in my 50s would be like this. I hate the constantly washed out feeling interspersed with the occasional good day.

Honeybun
X

honeybun

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2015, 01:00:25 PM »

Ok  ;D...here is what I was trying unsuccessfully to explain.

About tears
You probably only notice your tears when you laugh or cry. However, the surface of your eye is always covered by a thin layer of liquid known as the tear film that helps to lubricate your eyes, keep them clean and free of dust, and protect them against infection.
The tear film is made up of water, salts, oils, proteins and mucus, which are produced by a number of different glands and cells situated in and around the eyes.
Dry eye syndrome can occur if any part of the tear production process becomes disrupted and the quantity or quality of your tears is affected.

Sounds like a good excuse for not gardening. I've still to get my fat bum off the chair. There is a festival in our local town today and we normally go but I'm not sure I can be bothered.

Honeybun
X

Briony

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2015, 01:07:18 PM »

Are all these things really down to menopause or is it just part of the ageing process. I know that there are all the classic meno ones that are noted here but it seems to me that we are inclined to put everything down to the menopause.

My hubby has a few odd things happening off and on, he says it age related.

I have a good few weird ones myself that I hate but I've been on HRT for five years now and my levels at 55 should be fairly stable.

So is it or isn't it.......there are a lot of us here that are much of an age....ie middle age.

I would be interested to read what others think.

Honeybun
X

I guess it's difficult to tell, but my view is they are nearly all 'hormonal' even if not menopausal. The reason I say this is a work colleague had very bizarre symptoms in her very early twenties, so it wasnt linked to ageing. Initially they CT scanned her and thought it could be a tumour. At one point she had no feeling in her legs, then tingling all over and dizziness (extreme). Eventually it was found to be a severe hormone imbalance and was treated with medication. She's now in her late twenties and fine, with normal regular periods and no symptoms.

Similarly, I think my own issues are more due to an imbalance than actual menopause. My FSH is normal, mum had her menopause at 58, but my oestrogen can often go as low as 40 pmol. I never had any problems until a few weeks after I miscarried when I was 40. Now I'm 43 and still struggling - though taking hormones has helped the weirder symptoms - which makes me think it cant just be my age?

My nasal/ear issues have always been there - literally two days before I come on and vanish once my period arrives. There seems to be no logical connection with those parts of the body and hormones, yet my GP (seen when I was 16) immediately said hormones were the cause. It therefore makes sense that during meno, when hormones play silly buggers even more than usual, that these symptoms could suddenly appear for others, even if they've not had them before?

I guess, if it was just age, surely HRT wouldn't make a difference? I was reading something by a well known doctor the other day who said she knew she'd hit meno when she couldn't remember the name of the instrument she needed in surgery. She was prescribed HRT and was fine from then on. (If only it were that simple for us all).

.... Having said all this, I do sometimes question myself regarding what I've just written (!) For example, my left arm might start throbbing - which it sometimes does since I have had hormone problems -  and I panic. Am I about to have a heart attack? I then try to rationalise it with 'chill out girl, it's just hormones' (and thus ensues a sudden rush to log on to MM and search 'arm pain'  ::)) ... but actually, it could be the sign of a heart attack. It could also be a sign of an injury. Or it could just be the arm has been busy for too many years and is telling me to have a bath and rest.  I think, what I am trying to say is we must stay alert to this and get things checked out, even though the experiences of so many on here, especially this thread, suggest it probably is 'just' our hormones.
-
I've not really made sense, have I? I dont mean to contradict myself - I guess what I am saying is, it is probably primarily our hormones, combined with a bit of age, but we should always be alert to other causes too. x
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 03:32:30 PM by Briony »

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2015, 02:27:16 PM »

I've "always" had cold symptoms a few days before my period. Stuffy nose most prominent and sometimes a little sore throat. Goes away whrn period starts.

peripenguin

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2015, 04:05:06 PM »

Does anybody else wake up at night with a really, really dry mouth?

babyjane

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2015, 04:32:08 PM »

peripenguin I want to hug you.  If there is one post that has really lifted my spirits today it is yours

Does anybody else wake up at night with a really, really dry mouth?

this forum really is the business.  I have had tests for diabetes and sjogren's syndrome due to my dry eyes and dry mouth.  I have also had a salivary gland stone and infection caused by my mouth being so dry especially at night.  I have been so worried about the cause and then you post that.  thank you so very much for taking away just a little bit of my anxiety today xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2015, 04:38:57 PM »

Add to my list:

sudden itchyness, DEEP in the ear/s - we call it Spaniel ear
as well as a sudden, sharp pain in the ear/s …. makes me go 'ouch'!

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2015, 04:43:38 PM »

Add to my list:

sudden itchyness, DEEP in the ear/s - we call it Spaniel ear
as well as a sudden, sharp pain in the ear/s …. makes me go 'ouch'!

Huh, I had sudden sharp pains in my one ear the other day. For absolutely no appaerant reason. Never had before. So this TOO could be hormonal???

CLKD

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2015, 04:48:59 PM »

Yep - I think that a complete list can be made now, 1-however many including8) ….. which I thought was another way of saying  :bed:  :o

Unhinged

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2015, 05:32:53 PM »

Great posts, still more symptoms coming in, it's brill. Ha ha CLKD, yes number 8 does look like that! (or more like this these days  :boobs: )

Sympton number 28: Everything going south and wobbling about ha ha!

CLKD

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2015, 07:04:45 PM »

middle aged spread  :-\  >:(

I thought of another a few seconds ago: gone now  >:(

Unhinged

« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2015, 08:13:03 PM »

Tee hee that's what I was going to answer with Sparkle!

New Symptom:  PARANOIA - Just got undressed for the bath, freaked out when I saw a huge brown mole on my boob. Wasn't a mole, I'd obviously dropped a bit of chocolate down my top, but it had me going for a moment. Have added to middle age spread two nights running! Hardly ever eat chocolate, not coz I'm good, just not that bothered with it, but I've had cravings for it the last couple of days, so perhaps should add 'strange appetite' to my list. x

Unhinged

« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2015, 08:38:40 PM »

It is indeed Sparkle! Mine's a Phat Chin, with Hung Lo Bellie, and an extra portion of absolutely Crackers! x

Cthrnstowe

« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2015, 08:39:24 PM »

Unhinged I've been worrying about a mole for the last week on my finger, I've took pictures of it, I was gonna mention it to the doctor yesterday but felt abit stupid, got up this morning it's gone, it must of been a blood blister, felt a right plank I've got about 40 pictures of it checking if it was getting bigger x

Unhinged

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2015, 08:41:38 PM »

Ha ha Cthrnstowe, yes that's exactly what it would have been, I've had them, usually on my hands or calves. Funny re all those photos! x
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16