Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: I shouldn't be having a bleed should I?  (Read 2600 times)

GypsyRoseLee

I shouldn't be having a bleed should I?
« on: August 31, 2015, 06:55:13 PM »

Have been back on the Pill recently. Finished my 1st pack of 21 pills at the end of last week. I've been having brown spotting for the last 2 weeks.

I decided to go straight into my next pack of the Pill and not leave the 7 day break for a withdrawl bleed. This is because I'm experimenting to see if this will improve my mood swings and anxiety.

But today the brown spotting is heavier and there's a bit of fresh blood in it too. Looks like a bleed is starting regardless of the fact I haven't even stopped taking the Pill for 7 days. This shouldn't be possible surely?

I'm just really surprised this is happening. Can my own cycle still be so strong as to overide the Pill?

Hurdity

Re: I shouldn't be having a bleed should I?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 07:47:28 PM »

I  can't help with this GypsyRoseLee but I did make a comment (thinking aloud) on your other Pill Diary thread - upshot being if the 7 pill-free days are meant to be when you shed the lining - what happens to it (lining) when you don't have the break? If it's a proper bleed then presumably it is your own cycle but I'm really a novice as far as understanding how the Pill works!

Hurdity x

Poppyflower

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 08:09:36 PM »

Hi Gypsy,

Just to reassure you that it took me about 3 months before I had absolutely no bleeding while taking birth control back to back. As you already know, because you are taking continuously, lining will not build up and therefore that is why no bleed.....that being said I think sometimes until the 3-4 months body needs to get adjusted.....just like with HRT! Also if you were going to take the 7 day break in the pill it is simply a withdrawal bleed, not a true period shedding a built up lining. :)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 08:12:32 PM by Poppyflower »

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 08:12:03 PM »

It seems to be normal to have a small amount of bleeding or a brown discharge if you run two packs back to back. I found this http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/womenshealth/204602.html

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 08:30:16 PM »

I still don't understand why the lining won't build up - on the basis that when you have the 7 day break - a bleed is expected and a bleed can only happen if there is lining to be shed and therefore it must still build up (to a certain extent) on the Pill. I presume the only explanation is that gradually the continuous progestogen does in fact thin the lining. If that's the case I don't understand why a 7 day break is needed - except to mimic the drop in progesterone and oestrogen during the normal menstural cycle - and the associated pms!

A withdrawal bleed and a true period are both doing the same thing - shedding a built up lining!  That is also what happens when you take sequential HRT - you get a withdrawal bleed ( or not) to shed the built up lining. The only difference with a true period is that the lining has built up and is being shed as a result of hormonal changes surrounding ovulation!

That's interesting Taz - welll that must be based on what's OK to do, but odd that the other site said it wasn't adviseable except under doc? However not the first time we encounter contradictory information  :)

Hurdity x

pepperminty

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 04:20:07 PM »

Crikey- mine field of confusion again.

Just started the pill today- do I take them back to back without a bleed or have a bleed the first month?

I put a link to Dr Curries take on periods on GRL's Pill diary thread .

Pminty xx

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 07:52:49 PM »

Hi pepperminty

Yes I saw that link - thanks for reminding us - I remember it from the magazine but had forgotten.

The thing is in that article she does mention possible every 3 months.

I do understand about not having/needing a bleed - but I really don't understand why a preparation that is designed for you to have a bleed ( ie assume the lining must build up a little) is then OK not too as I imagine that the amount of progestogen is worked out to be just right for that a mount of oestrogen. Maybe I am totally wrong and perhaps the Pill works diffferently.

My view would be - if your doc says it's OK to take them back to back - is perhaps do it monthly for the first couple of months and then try every 3 and see how you go ( with endorsement from your doc). The first months or two there may already be lining that hasn't shed?

I may be talking through my .... and I hope I'm not confusing everybody by my lack of understanding of the Pill!!!!

Hurdity x

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 08:31:39 PM »

Still getting the brown spotting with red mixed in.