Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hypnotherapy recommended by GP for IBS  (Read 2407 times)

Taz2

Hypnotherapy recommended by GP for IBS
« on: August 28, 2015, 12:37:48 PM »

Hi ladies - just got back from my last ever consultation with my lovely GP who is leaving the practice today. We spent ages catching up with news of her family and mine before getting down to my reason for visiting (I was the last patient so not holding anyone else up).

I mentioned that the IBS is much worse since my hysterectomy and she agreed that there is lots of evidence to show that hysterectomy affects the bowel in many different ways. She then said that hypnotherapy is often effective as a treatment so I'm going to make an appointment with a therapist she recommended. Not sure of the cost but I really want to crack this!!

Has anyone else had hypnotherapy for bowel conditions? I'm hoping we might be able to address the anxiety as well. I must admit I read the info on the website and when I got to "each consultation lasts around an hour" I felt my stomach tense up. An hour!! In one place with one person!! Breathe....  :)

Taz x

honeybun

Re: Hypnotherapy recommended by GP for IBS
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 01:28:33 PM »

I have tried hypnotherapy for my emetophobia but sadly it didn't work.
Whether it was me or the therapist I just don't know. I found it incredibly difficult to relax enough to empty my mind which seemed to be a key part.

I will be very interested to hear how you get on.

Have you booked your appointment yet ?

Honeybun
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 01:45:24 PM »

Why would it work?  The Psychologist I worked with told me I am an un-suitable candidate for hypnotherapy  ::)

Let us know how you get on!

Limpy

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 02:09:58 PM »

It may work Taz  it's got to be worth a try.
What have you got to lose?

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 02:48:30 PM »

Thanks ladies. I reckon it's worth a try. The only thing I've got to lose is the money! I haven't booked an appointment yet but will seriously think about it. The therapist recommended goes on maternity leave just before Christmas so if I want her I'd better sort it out sooner rather than later!

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 03:00:20 PM »

My hypnotherapist was a GP who dabbled a bit. I honestly can't remember if I paid or not as it was in a GP surgery about 15 miles from me.
I don't think he was that good to be honest....or maybe it was just me   ::)

I really want to hear how you get on.

Honeybun
X

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 03:07:11 PM »

I'll give the therapist a ring and see what she says. I reckon it targets the anxiety which is often at the bottom (!) of IBS troubles. Then you get caught in the spiral - is it the IBS causing the anxiety or the anxiety causing the IBS. Over this summer it has really stopped me doing lots of things I wanted to do. Making arrangements is really difficult and eating out is also something I steer clear of unless it's  a really good day because eating triggers the symptoms. As for picnics  ;D

Taz  x

bramble

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 03:40:06 PM »

As someone said, what have you got to lose and anything is worth a try . Especially as it was recommended by a GP.

Bramble

purplenanny

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 03:42:07 PM »

I dont know anything about it but i think it's a good idea to try anything that may help. Its horrible when it stops you doing things you want to
PN x x