Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Polyps two failed attempts to remove. Help please  (Read 1869 times)

Forgetmenot

Polyps two failed attempts to remove. Help please
« on: August 14, 2015, 01:34:16 PM »

Hi I am new to this site and want to start by thanking all of you for the various forum posts which have helped me over the past few weeks. I am aged 51 and am 2.5 years without a period, getting the odd hot flush in the day and occasional night sweats, nothing I can't cope with at the moment. 6 weeks ago I starting bleeding, only slightly for 2 days I sent to see my GP who referred me to my local gynaecology team at the hospital. First visit was an internal scan and ultrasound. They had trouble seeing anything as my womb tilts backwards so asked me to consent to a hysterectomy. Having got in they found 2 small polyps and some slight thickening of the womb lining. Biopsys taken (painful but bearable). I went back earlier this week for the removal. The night before I had to insert 4 pessaries of misoprostol. Slight cramps but again bearable. Took ibuprofen an hour before appointment. Legs in stirrups .another hysterectomy and then some new instruments inserted to remove polyps using salinecto 'blow me up'. First attempt on a scalecof 1-5 was a 4 painful, cramps and they only managed to get half of one polyp . second attempt had me screaming in pain and not ashamed to say crying. They stopped. After 10 minutes they tried again but I was bleeding too much so they stopped all together. I have now been invited back to have another procedure described as a hysterectomy Myosure procedure in theatre using misoprostol the night before and local anaesthetic when they go in. Based on my experience to date I am wondering if I should insist on a general anaesthetic. Can anyone help me to understand the potential pain I may have and what the recovery time is. 3 days after I am still bleeding, still bloated with shoulder and neckache and mild cramps. Thanks in advance for any advice. The only good news is that the biopsys were negative\ benign

Forgetmenot

Re: Polyps two failed attempts to remove. Help please
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 01:37:04 PM »

Sorry my typing of the procedures is wrong I haven't had a hysterectomy but hysteroscopy twice

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 02:00:14 PM »

Hi Forgetmenot - welcome to the forum.

Our hospital also uses general anaesthetic for hysteroscopies so I don't think it would be strange for you to ask for one during your next procedure. I think the Myosure technique means that polyp and fibroid removal is quicker but, even so, reading of your past experience I am sure it would be much more relaxing for you to be asleep during the procedure.

Let us know how you get on.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Forgetmenot

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 04:38:51 PM »

Thank you for the responses. My only concern about pushing for a general anaesthetic is the recovery and extra time off work