Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Red clover ?  (Read 1915 times)

samlevy1

Red clover ?
« on: August 16, 2015, 09:11:32 AM »

Hi
Do any of you lovely ladies take 'Red Clover' ? Just wondering what you're thoughts were on it ? I'm currently taking it and have been for approx 6 months I think it's helping but can't make my mind up ,thanks ladies  :) xx

Hurdity

Re: Red clover ?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 03:01:17 PM »

Hi samlevy1

I haven't taken this but there is information on red clover on this website here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/phytoestrogens.php

As a phyto-oestrogen from the little I've read I understand it has weak oestrogenic effects ie can act like oestrogen but much weaker than our own oestrogen. There isn't enough research on it over a long enough period of time, I don't think to provide conclusive evidence.

So in terms of whether it is helping - it seems there is some limited evidence showing it may do so to some extent. However when you are peri-menopausal your symptoms come and go anyway so if it does work - then you can't tell whether the improvement was going to happen anyway. However if it has a weak affect then during peri-menopause when symptoms are mild it could have a limited effect. Also sometimes things that you take have what's known as a placebo effect ie the belief that they're going to work actually makes them work because the mind is powerful - to some extent!

Many women (like myself) try/tried herbal treatments during peri-menopause (I took Black Cohosh - I hadn't heard of Red Clover at the time and had read almost nothing abut menopause!) - and are convinced they work initially (I definitley was) - but when I got to late peri-menopause nothing worked at all until I went onto HRT. You will find many women report similar.

However of the herbal treatments phyto-oestrogens are the most promosing - but there needs to be more research into long-term efficacy (effectiveness in treating specific symptoms) and safety.

The most important thing though is - if you are feeling better at the moment - then that's great  :) Long may that last

Hopefully someone else will be along with other information/experience soon...

Hurdity x