Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Health anxiety has come back to haunt me again  (Read 8910 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Health anxiety has come back to haunt me again
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 11:17:35 PM »

The Priory certainly doesn't 'fleece' people ………. do you feel that you need to be somewhere secure or have more support? 

My phobia overwhelmed my brain …….. to the point that I would dream about it  :'( so no relief at all.  I fear that it might happen and be as bad as I remember  :-[ but I  have to say that the Betablockas have helped enormously!

bunnylove

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 01:42:00 AM »

No amount of physical reassurance - seems to stop the negative fear/thoughts that it may happen sometime and it just goes over and over in my head - I know its called " ruminating" - its so exhausting and a waste, but don't seem to be able to just snap out of it.... I imagine the illness and how would I cope - when I can hardly cope/function with just the thought.... I sometimes feel that I am literally going to go mad and no one can help ...Its also very isolating - as I try to conceal it ( keep myself to myself) ..

Micky - I'm brand new here, but suffer from health anxiety and when I read what you wrote in this post I thought it sounded like something I could have written myself.  I wish I could reach out and hold your hand and tell you "I understand; that is exactly what I feel inside too."  Just wanted you to know. 

CLKD

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 09:56:52 AM »

:thankyou: ………. for me it's the physicality when it hits that lays me low, within moments.  When I feel 'OK' I can cope, when the phobia strikes, well, I'm off my feet pretty quickly  :-\

Micky

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 01:16:26 PM »

Thank you Bunnylove - sometimes I feel like I am the only one & what feels worse is that when the fear strikes its such a lonely place ..I don't go around broadcasting it to friends/family as I know they cant really help and they don't understand - so helps to know others here ( such as yourself) do understand...

bunnylove

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 01:32:05 PM »

CLKD

Me too!  One anxious thought and I'm doubled over (I carry my anxiety in my stomach) and run to the bathroom.  :-(

bunnylove

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 01:44:53 PM »

Micky --

Now this is my 10th post, so I can send you a private message, I think.  I'll give it a try!

ancient runner

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 02:12:45 PM »

Don't know if this will help but I've had degrees of health anxiety over the past few years (since a cancer diagnosis - all clear couple of years after) which got very bad about 18 months ago. Then about 2 or 3 months ago, it disappeared. I should feel dreadful as I am waiting for MRI test results and have been for weeks and weeks - but I am managing to just stick it out of my mind and carry on. Not really sure if I've managed to get over this or if the disappearance of HA is hormonal - but I wanted to say it can go.  :)

honeybun

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2015, 02:45:49 PM »

Thanks ancient runner.....that's very encouraging to hear.

Long may it continue for you and good luck with the test results.

My health anxiety is more real than imagined at the moment. Over the past week I have hurt my ribs and gubbed my back.
Well I guess it gives me something real to focus on....but now I'm worried what's going to happen to me next as it comes in threes.......how daft is that  ::)

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2015, 03:26:25 PM »

Oh have one of these Honeybun  :  :kick:  :  no need to worry any more  ;)

I've had a head ache - I know logically it's because I am experimenting with the BBs however  :-X  :neutral: …… so I've taken Nurofen and the ache will go.

Bunnylove - I've always had anxiety which stems from the gut.  I was told by my Mum that I would 'grow out of it' …. at 61 I'm still waiting (or 62  :-\ )

Micky

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2015, 05:58:22 PM »

Ancient runner

I hope your test results are all good and clear & thank you for your post ...
I think it helps to know/feel that if something bad happens we do cope, and the anx can take a back seat ..

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2015, 06:13:45 PM »

That's what adrenaline is for ……. I think a lot of my problem is that I have no-where to dissipate adrenaline i.e. not going to sing in front of anyone, not going to work, not driving anywhere …….. so no where to channel it.

How's your day been?

Micky

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2015, 06:25:31 PM »

CKLD ..

Maybe " Fleece" wasn't a good choice of word- but places like the Priory are not made easily affordable or accessible  for a lot of normal/working class people...  Yes if i could afford to - i would check myself in to somewhere like the Priory, i would like the opportunity to have group therapy and support in an environment that specializes in various mental health issues & have the attention of professionals etc .. But i don't have private health care and cannot afford places like the Priory ... I have a pretty good GP - but all he can do is refer ( via nhs) and when ( eventually) they get in contact - which can be weeks - there is an assessment process ..Then it can take more weeks if not months to get to see someone & then they decide on some kind of therapy - usually 6/8  45 min or 1 hr sessions ....The NHS do what they can - but its all so limited & sometimes i feel pretty desperate ....I know for instance that to see a psychiatrist ( as a private patient)  is around £200 for one apt - and money isnt everything, but it sure can help when it comes to health care .. .. I have just started on some different meds ( one at night)  am hoping they may kick in and at least put my fear back somewhere - so i can feel like i have some life again & not feel in constant anx , anticipating bad things .

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2015, 06:34:25 PM »

Sadly mental health 'services' are way down the list, even lower than geriatric care, when money is handed out.  Like we don't matter  :'(.  I had the same in the 1990s - GP referred me for psychological support, it took 18 months before the girl phoned to see whether I still required the sessions  ::) and cussed me, said 'yes'.  I knew more about health issues than she did but she was very understanding.  She offered to keep 3 sessions open for me over 6/7 weeks should I require them, I phoned before the 1st and said to give them to someone else.

Could your GP refer you to a Community Outreach worker or Community Mental Health Nurse?  Have a look at MIND web-site you may find a drop-in centre close by.

Hopefully the new med. will ease those intense feelings!

Micky

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2015, 08:18:21 PM »

I thinks its a fact - that more people than ever experience and suffer with mental health issues ..Bi polar  ( for instance )is now a more recognized & diagnosed condition & particularly as people like Stephen Fry suffer from it ... But again people such as Stephen Fry can afford & probably have better access to help ...I think younger people also suffer now with a whole range of issues - so it has become more of a problem ...Like yourself CKLD I have waited a year ( before now) to be offered sessions ... Sadly the only way you get seen asap, is if you say you are thinking of suicide ..

I have looked at the " MIND" site/s - I could be wrong, but think they are more about depression & having activities for people - as opposed to support for anxiety/panic etc & one on one or group support ..

But hopefully the meds will kick in and make life more bearable 

lisamenomatt

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2015, 12:00:31 PM »

Anxiety disorders are treatable, and the vast majority of people with an anxiety disorder can be helped with professional care.

Success of treatment varies. Some may respond to treatment after a few weeks or months, while others may need more than a year. Treatment may be complicated if people have more than one anxiety disorder or if they suffer from depression, substance abuse, or other co-existing conditions. This is why treatment must be tailored specifically for each individual.
Pages: 1 [2] 3