Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Adrenaline cortisol oxytocin  (Read 1461 times)

Spangles

Adrenaline cortisol oxytocin
« on: July 20, 2015, 07:27:18 AM »

Hi ladies
As we know adrenaline and cortisol can be damaging in large amounts and most of us suffer as a result. Oxytocin can calm us and make us feel better. Does anyone know how to minimise the former and increase the latter? Is there a link with menopause? Just a thought as so many of us suffer so bad with anxiety.
Shellb
xXx

ancient runner

Re: Adrenaline cortisol oxytocin
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 11:17:39 AM »

On the adrenaline end of it, I'd suggest moderate exercise - I run a bit and it really does help. A brisk walk would too, or whatever you like to do. On the oxytocin - that's the love hormone, isn't it? Might not be much you could do but one wild guess would be - get a dog? Then walk it. Job done.  ;D

Someone sensible might be along in a minute. But I'm quite serious about the exercise bit of it...

Greenfields

Re: Adrenaline cortisol oxytocin
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 10:29:58 AM »

Regular exercise and cutting out any stimulants (caffeine, sugar, alcohol) will help cut adrenaline.  Also doing relaxation exercises and meditation helps too.

I would also cut out anything that raises your stress levels but serves no useful purpose ... for example, I don't listen to the news anymore and I only briefly look at it online.  Most of the stories reported are bad news stories and only stress me further when I read them - and it doesn't improve my life any if I know what's going on in the world in terms of bad news stories.

Oxytocin is generated when making love, and also fostered in the bonds we have with others.  So cultivating healthy loving supportive relationships helps with that one.  If you don't have a partner (I don't) then seeking supportive community with others helps - avoid isolating oneself.  If you work, good working relationships can also be helpful and supportive.

Basically I think it's about trying to get a good life balance.