Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Probiotic advice needed!  (Read 3154 times)

Rebelyell

Probiotic advice needed!
« on: July 08, 2015, 11:16:26 AM »

As I am on a week long dose of anti-biotics [for dental treatment] and it is the third course this year, I think my digestive system is really messed up.   So I thought probiotics wouldn't hurt and asked OH to put some in his shopping trolley.  He has bought Asda 'Inner Defence' and I am now not convinced that it is anything more than a vitamin yoghurt drink. 

Can anybody tell me exactly what I should be buying to protect/help heal my guts?  I know there is divided opinion about their effectiveness, but I have read that they are good when taking anti-biotics.  And I am desperate as anxiety is building because I am thinking something serious is wrong!

Rebelyell

Re: Probiotic advice needed!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 11:19:31 AM »

Thanks - is it helping?  Hope you're well - I'm not too bad today!

Winterose

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 01:02:17 PM »

Sparkle  -look at post on super gassy -

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 01:10:16 PM »

Natures Best is a good company to go to for probiotics. Good quality and reasonably priced.

Honeybun
X

Greenfields

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 03:21:48 PM »

As I am on a week long dose of anti-biotics [for dental treatment] and it is the third course this year, I think my digestive system is really messed up.   So I thought probiotics wouldn't hurt and asked OH to put some in his shopping trolley.  He has bought Asda 'Inner Defence' and I am now not convinced that it is anything more than a vitamin yoghurt drink. 

Can anybody tell me exactly what I should be buying to protect/help heal my guts?  I know there is divided opinion about their effectiveness, but I have read that they are good when taking anti-biotics.  And I am desperate as anxiety is building because I am thinking something serious is wrong!

Regular plain yogurt with live bugs or Kefir (which is like a yogurt but has a different culture strain) would probably help - that's what I've tended to take when I've taken antibiotics.

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 04:27:04 PM »

Optibac are the ones recommended by my GP and they did seem to work fairly well last time I used them. They do different types for different problems. Available from most pharmacies.

Taz x

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 06:33:34 PM »

I used the one especially "for those on antibiotics".

Taz x

Rebelyell

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 10:03:49 PM »

Thanks ladies, I will give Optibac a go.  Hope to get some tomorrow.

GeordieGirl

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 08:17:18 AM »

I agree with Honeybun - Nature's Best is a fab supplier and they have a great product, 'Acidophilus 10 billion'

The supermarket probiotics are loaded with sugar and little more than a marketing ploy, it's best to use a good supplement, and / or introduce fermented foods into your diet.  (There is so much previous generations used to do right that we've simply lost along the way  :(  )

GG x