Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Ear exray  (Read 2641 times)

pj44

Ear exray
« on: June 21, 2015, 07:31:53 AM »

I have had ear infections most of my life. Because of suffering with anxiety not being able to go far from home for the last 15 years I did not ask at doctors to be referred to hospital as the last time I went to hospital they said was to much scar tissue in ear drum to do anything for me. So I have just suffered with it. When ear was bad leaking smelly fluid I just had antibiotic drops to put in it. It never really went away. I am finally better with anxiety though not totally so I have been to hospital and have been having antibiotics put into ear. The ear is better but I know it's not healed and at last appointment a month ago I was told if the antibiotic put in ear this time dud not work I would need ear exray. Well it's now 4 weeks I no ear is not better so I have Google ear exray I'm scared as it looks like you have to go in a scanner. As anyone had a ear exray or my kind of problems with there ears. I still have not had my hospital appointment for ear. Doctor said I would have to go back in 2 months. So appointment should be sometime in July. I'm going to ring Monday. Any help would be helpful please.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Ear exray
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 02:24:26 PM »

Your anxiety is improving and now this  >:(  ::) - bugga!  Have a word with your GP and see which system your local Hospital uses for ear-X-rays - have to say that's a new one on me  ::) ……. you may be able to have a shot of Valium before if it's a scanner and it won't take long ……… let us know what your GP suggests!

pj44

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 06:16:02 PM »

Thank you clkd. I know there is always something to worry over.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 08:35:10 PM »

With your history of being housebound, anything 'out of the ordinary' is bound to throw your confidence.  It does me and I'm much better than I was in the 1990s  :'( when I was unable to go outdoors for 3 months, not even into our garden.

How's your day been?  Ear painful?

pj44

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 12:58:34 PM »

Hi clkd
Have just rang hospital and have been told that my 2 months is not up till the 17th July. Appointment will be generated for me after that date. The lady said why they tell people 2 months for next appointment as people will not be being seen within 2 months.lady I spoke to has given me the consultant secretarys number as I said I'm sure ear is not healed. She said I could ring and explain I might get earlier appointment. But you can guess I'm scared lol incase I have to have ear exray. I'm very fortunate in that ear is not causing me pain. I have tinnitus in that ear. It might be that because I have had the infection in my ear for years that this is the best my ear will be.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 03:11:12 PM »

It will be nice to know if there is a treatment or whether you have to 'live' with it.  Also ask how the X-ray is taken?

countrybumpkin

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 12:21:25 PM »

I have had a ct scan of my inner ears to look at the bones and it was nothing compared to mri scan. If you having a ct scan then its just like a big doughnut that rotates around you and not scary at all.
If you are having an mri scan then you can ask your consultant to get you an appt in an open scanner that is much better than a closed scanner, you may have to travel out of your area for this though as not many nhs hospitals have open scanners but it is possible to do this on nhs as I have done.
Otherwise your GP can give you some diazepam to take half an hour before the mri scan to calm you, again I have done this as well.

pj44

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 07:18:08 AM »

Thank you countrybumkin that's good to know think it would be the dounut one  ;D