Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Sage doesn't work any more  (Read 39721 times)

thorntrees

Re: Sage doesn't work any more
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2015, 07:34:25 PM »

With BJ and HB on this one. It can feel like those who find HRT helps them dismiss those of us who can't or have decided for whatever reason not to take it are misguided in some way. I also have not been 'frightened away' but for medical reasons cannot take HRT. Nor do I believe in 'hedgerow cures' which it was also suggested those who are willing to try alternative treatments have been accused of doing.. ADs have helped me and have been shown to be an alternative approach but I wouldn't dream of suggesting they are a solution for anyone else. MM is just a sounding board for all of us trying to get through this time in our lives in the best way we can, it should be where we feel comfortable , able to pass on our experiences but never to suggest that others views are wrong or indeed that there is only one way forward.
It makes me personally feel very uncomfortable when posters seem to be 'battling' each other, let's all take a step back , enjoy each other's thoughts  and experiences and look forward to coming out the other side of menopause.

Thorntrees

babyjane

« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2015, 08:13:57 PM »

at the risk of making a really lame joke, there are a lot of 'sage' comments here and we can all resolve to listen more and be kind to one another.  The only person to really lose out is Zodiac, the original poster, and that is a shame.

Nemesis

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2015, 08:45:09 PM »

With BJ and HB on this one. It can feel like those who find HRT helps them dismiss those of us who can't or have decided for whatever reason not to take it are misguided in some way. I also have not been 'frightened away' but for medical reasons cannot take HRT. Nor do I believe in 'hedgerow cures' which it was also suggested those who are willing to try alternative treatments have been accused of doing.. ADs have helped me and have been shown to be an alternative approach but I wouldn't dream of suggesting they are a solution for anyone else. MM is just a sounding board for all of us trying to get through this time in our lives in the best way we can, it should be where we feel comfortable , able to pass on our experiences but never to suggest that others views are wrong or indeed that there is only one way forward.
It makes me personally feel very uncomfortable when posters seem to be 'battling' each other, let's all take a step back , enjoy each other's thoughts  and experiences and look forward to coming out the other side of menopause.

Thorntrees

I do agree with you that people need to use what best suits them albeit AD's, HRT or alternative remedies, there is no one size fits all. Some many even chose to use all three, or any two of the three, and that's fine we all have to get through this as best we can.

However I still maintain that this is the only forum on the net where women who take HRT are not looked on as odd or stigmatised, maybe what goes on elsewhere is a bi-product of the 2001/2003 studies where those taking it halved overnight.

It does seem odd that after 14 years, two studies still have such a profound effect on many people. I guess the newspapers at the time got hold of it and scared the general female populace away from HRT in a huge way, and there has been a massive hangover effect from that, that still goes on today.

I'm sure it must have been very frightening for those who were using hormones at the time, especially if they had been on them for say 10 or 12 years. If my dodgy memory serves me right when HRT came along in the late 50's or 60's it was kind of hailed as a bit of a miriacle drug as in those that took it, it negated 85% of women's main meno symptoms especially hot flushes and night sweats - so in a way it was miracle drug as nothing had done that up to then.

If you go on other forums and mention you are taking HRT often the reaction is as though you are taking crack cocaine rather than a little bit of oestrogen and progesterone to keep you ticking over as your own depletes.

I do think that is why to some of the non users on here may feel users can be a bit evangelical about it, but users are probably very grateful that they have finally found a place they can talk freely about using HRT. 

According to my GP it does work for 85% of women and often the reason it doesn't work for the other 15%  is that can't tolerate side effects that occur during the first three months so give up or keep swapping brands, although it makes sense to change if something upsets you like giving you bad tummies etc.

I know none of that helps those who are contraindicated though because of family history of breast cancer or strokes.

We all have to do the best we can with what is out there, and try and be supportive of others.

babyjane

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2015, 09:06:24 AM »

Nice post Nemesis, I do like your open minded and fair style of posting  :) .

My final word on this (as some of the comments have been made directly towards myself) is this - I have no issue with ladies who tell of their experiences with HRT however passionate or enthusiastic they are.  My problem with it starts with the 'you should look into HRT', or 'you need it for your bones' in response to another member's questions. 

It would be far kinder to say 'you could', implying that there are options, so new members like Zodiac here don't feel as though they are not being listened to.

that is my final word as I am not here to fuel debates or disagreements.

BrightLight

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2015, 07:30:37 PM »

Hi
I have been  taking sage for probably over a year now, and over the past month it seems to have stopped working as my hot sweats have come back , also i get the hot flush, which is horrible as my face goes really red n feels very hot, and i can feel sickly when it happens, luckly the flush doesnt happen to offten but the sweats are through the day n nite,
I was taking black cohosh but had a reaction to it were my boobs were very sore from Armpit rite down to my boob on both side, doctor said it was my glands swolen up as the black cohosh had to much eastrogen in for me, and my doctor said to come off it,and it took a few months for the soreness to go,  so ive been trailing the web to find anything about sage not working anymore, but no luck lol, so was wondering if anyone else has had this happen and what they did, also whilst trailing the web about sage found some saying that its not that good to take long term like i have as it can cause seziures n liver probs and that was a nhs site, also saw that folic acid was good at stopping hot sweats  if any one knows anything i would appreciate hearing about it
Thanx Zodiac 😀

Hi Zodiac

I can't give any thoughts on why the sage has stopped working for you.  Have you tried Agnus Castus?  I know with herbs, it's good to have a mix with Agnus Castus or Black Cohosh as the main ingredient.  Maybe it is worth you having a chat with a herbalist, some shops/manufacturers have free helplines where you can chat to a herbalist.

Regards nutritional therapy, studies have shown that Vitamin E and Vitamin C can help manage hot fushes. It is good to take these with a probiotic to help the body 'process' the vitamins properly

Hope one of these ideas is helpful for you.

peegeetip

« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2015, 10:32:31 PM »

"The HRT message comes across very strong, almost evangelical at times"

Perhaps those posting and backing comments like this can elucidate to the posts that defend such a claim.

To elude to others giving their time to the posts should find themselves to be characterized in the same way as religious groups or people with a crusading enthusiasm even zealous outlook on HRT, just lets down those of us posting in good faith.

I'll await confirmation on some examples of posts that led to such a comment in the first place.

Thanks.
???
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 05:47:11 AM by peegeetip »

GeordieGirl

« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2015, 12:54:26 PM »

"The HRT message comes across very strong, almost evangelical at times"

Perhaps those posting and backing comments like this can elucidate to the posts that defend such a claim.

To elude to others giving their time to the posts should find themselves to be characterized in the same way as religious groups or people with a crusading enthusiasm even zealous outlook on HRT, just lets down those of us posting in good faith.

Aren't you evangelical about HRT? I certainly am - or at least BHRT. I see far too many friends suffering from symptoms and getting no help from their GPs, it's heart breaking. I know how much better I feel.

I'm also evangelical about nutrition, natural medicine, the great outdoors and a number of other things. Evangelical means "zealous in advocating a particular cause" - passioned, devout, devoted.  Why on earth would you see that as something negative?

GG x

zodiac

« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2015, 04:26:58 PM »

Hi everyone,
I do appreciate all the advise given, but i really really cannot take hrt n im not going to even take the risk on my health as i have had a brush with death a few yrs back just with taking anadin for my migrains when i first started with this crazy shit ( menapause) lol, my stomach poped n a blood vessel burst n i threw up blood filled a couple of large carrier bags the strong ones, any way i lost lots off blood was in n out of consesnes ( prob spelt wrong lol ) two drips in my arms one in each n 6 /7 pints of blood put back into me
Anyway im coping with the menapause i have good days n bad, but hubby isnt handleing it at all, even tho hes read the advise for men, he just aint helping or sympathetic, its like he blames me for how i am, like i can control it, the mood swings etc, he doesnt come near me, we only have sex if i instigate it, n his excuse is hes gone from nothing to me wanting it again n he aint used to it, arrrr i dont get it youd think he would b happy to have that part of me back again, coz if thats ok im ok lol  things n life run smoother,
I just dont understand why hes like this, may be after 8 yrs of crap from me hes stopped loving me but he says he does , so im stummped, think hes got my menapause lol

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2015, 10:03:33 PM »

>wave< MEN  >:(

peegeetip

« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2015, 03:32:56 PM »

Hi GeordieGirl

I understand where your coming from but I don't think this was mentioned in a positive way by others.

I'm certainly seeing and feeling the benefits of HRT first hand but would never be a zealot and push someone to do something they can't or don't want. The issues people perceive with HRT are their own and they must resolve to fix them the best way when all is said and done. If we can open up and give some feelings and findings to help then great.

So glad your being so positive about your experience but sad to hear you have some many friends like Zodiac who continue to suffer.

Hi Zodiac

sorry to hear about your health scare. I've certainly heard that drugs like the brand you mentioned can be strong on your stomach.
However I'm not aware of HRT causing similar complaints.
If anything it would be more likely to calm and protect your stomach and digestive system.
HRT is known to help prevent large bowel cancers which is notoriously difficult to spot and test for.

The saying lightening doesn't strike twice in the same spot should apply here :)

I Hope you get the help you need to make things better for you and your husband.

:-*

zodiac

« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2015, 10:10:56 PM »

Hi , everyone, ive not been scared off from the forum but do feel that some post do tend to not come across all that sympathetic sorry, n HRT and anti depressants are pushed alot, its great that its wrking for lots of women but i for one aint allowed it n aint gonig to take it,
I do eat healthly, i dont drink or smoke, i exersise at the gym3 times a week, i have 4 dogs to walk, 3 step kids living with me, a beautiful granddaughter i have 4 times a week whilst my son n daughterinlaw go to wrk, i also get up at 5 am n go to wrk , then go to wrk again at dinner time, ( i clean at school n welfare assistant at dinner time) , i take n evening primrose, Vitamins, i only weigh 9 st, and im only 48, but only feel 20 lol and have always been like this well for ever really, :)), i have bad days now n again but thats when i come on here to have a chat n asked about sage n thought there would be people who do the herbal side or alternative therapys for menopause, but looks like that got lost some were lol, anyway thanx for all the info n thankyou to the ones who felt thecsame as me about hrt n do the herbal way felt better knowing theres more of us :)) x

honeybun

« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2015, 10:24:21 PM »

You keep posting. It's always good to have other suggestions and ideas on the forum and your ideas are as valid as anyone else's.

Honeyb
x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2015, 09:28:32 AM »

Hi Zodiac - I'm sorry you feel you haven't received good support from us all.
We all have to tread our own path - finding ways to deal with what life throws at us.
I have personally tried many, if not most, of the alternative remedies and herbs etc. sadly with little success but  I do accept that many people do benefit. Your lifestyle sounds fab and is probably your best remedy.
DG xxx

zodiac

« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2015, 10:25:43 AM »

Hi all, yeh my life style is good, sage prob stopped wrking it could be the weather being to hot, or my body needs a break as with most herbal stuff, any way at the mo they have calmed down and are bareable n its good, it minght be with the new thing im taking after loads of reasurch n read the reviews so ill just see how this goes for a while, plus my hot sweats could be worse coz its been just over 3 mths since i hhad a period which is great lol like this part of meno hahaha, anyway off to wrk
Bye x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2015, 11:31:28 AM »

Crikey! do you eat 3 Weetabix each morning  ;D

We have a dog thread - do join in ('cos I'm nosey)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5