Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Disturbed nights only at home  (Read 3376 times)

getting_old

Disturbed nights only at home
« on: June 16, 2015, 07:18:14 PM »

We've lived in our current house for about 5 years and since moving in I've never slept that well and keep needing to get up to go to the loo during the night (and need to go more often during the day too). When we go on vacation despite a change in bed and often staying in multiple hotels I nearly always sleep better and hardly have to get up during the night. Sometimes I joke about going on a trip to catch up on sleep.

I'm trying to work out if there could be something in the house that could be affecting me and have searched the internet but can't find anything so wondered if anyone else had similar experiences or any thoughts.

honeybun

Re: Disturbed nights only at home
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 07:29:05 PM »

Our last house turned out to be a disaster for me. The neighbours were a nightmare and I never felt at ease. It was a beautiful place after we renovated but by the time we left I would have happily lived in a tent.
It was an old Victorian house and ....please don't laugh....a few spirits were around. Things happened that we had no explanation for...I saw things as did my daughter. None of my daughters friends liked staying over either.
I never slept well in four years. Every single night about 2am I would wake with a fright as if someone had prodded me or shouted in my ear.
We have been in our current house for nearly five years and generally I sleep well and if I don't and am up in the night I'm not looking over my shoulder.

Honeybun
X

getting_old

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 08:04:03 PM »

I certainly wouldn't laugh. In fact I would dearly love to be in the same situation as it would explain my problems. Current house is just over 10 years old, no former property on the land, detached so can't blame the neighbours, plus I have one of those white noise machines (which I take on trips). The only thing which is odd is that there's a covered deck outside the bedroom so the bedroom doesn't have a window (but it does have patio doors), so it's a bit darker than the average bedroom, but I've always liked dark bedrooms, so I'm confused.
Maybe we just need to move ???

bramble

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 08:27:18 PM »

Have you tried sleeping in the spare room for a few nights to see if that makes a difference?

Bramble

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 08:42:37 PM »

I certainly sleep differently when we are away.  For me it's because there are no chores to do, no clutter, peaceful bedrooms and I can't worry about stuff not done 'downstairs'.

Surprisngly in the camper I sleep well too.  Again, no chores, no clutter ……. maybe it's what you leave behind that no longer matters that clears your head for 'a good night's sleep'  ;)

Or it could be the size of the bed, mattress condition, pillows ………

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 09:28:05 PM »

Have you tried moving your furniture around. Change the look and feel of the room. Are the rooms you are sleeping in while you are away,
Warmer
Colder
Lighter
Darker.

Try and replicate what makes you relaxed away from home and see if that works for you.

Honeybun
X

spiritguide

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 09:44:39 PM »

It could be electromagnetic stuff...are you near a pylon etc? Do you switch off all your iT appliances? Again it could be the layout affecting energy flow ( look into feng shui), if non of this works check out a medium. Best of luck.

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 10:03:07 PM »

I'd be inclined to say mattress. I know I'm much more comfortable in our bed than spare room. Mind you my hubby is a terrible snorer, so think that may be main cause. I do sleep better away from home too & think it's because beds are often bigger. Not enough room in our home for king size bed.

getting_old

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 10:16:21 PM »

I did try the other bedroom, which has a smaller bed, but I was further from a bathroom so didn't really settle. I've now tried three mattresses and numerous pillows, and have changed some of the furniture. The rooms I've stayed in have varied so some lighter, some darker, some warmer, some colder.
We have above ground power lines and are over the road from an electricity substation so that could be the problem. I hadn't thought of it but will investigate more.

Dorothy

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 07:42:33 AM »

Do you have a lot of responsibilities/pressure at home?  It may just be the sense of freedom that helps you sleep better.

Is it a house or bungalow?  I had trouble sleeping in a previous house upstairs, but was fine on the ground floor. 

getting_old

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 05:44:24 PM »

DH and I have been discussing this - he thinks it's because I really don't like the area where we're living and not specific to the house, but I'm thinking the electricity substation is the problem. He's said we could move house if I think it will help, but if he's right then moving won't help as we'll still be in the same area, and I really don't like the area - we're only here because of his job.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 07:03:18 PM »

aaaahhhhh ………..

honeybun

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 07:35:00 PM »

I hated our last house. View was wonderful, rooms huge, done from scratch and hubby did let me do what I wanted.
Horrendous neighbours......and therein lay my problem. I always felt unsettled and uneasy. I never slept well.

How are things apart from the house, do you have any other concerns.

If it's a job move does it last long or is there and end date you can work towards.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 08:40:51 PM »

I took a long while to settle here (11+ years) because it wasn't our choice - now I love our garden/pond/utility room  ::)