Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Making a bit of progress with the recovery from my breakdown  (Read 12019 times)

Greenfields

Re: Making a bit of progress with the recovery from my breakdown
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2015, 04:32:03 PM »

However when I came back to the UK I missed a lot of Canadian things - thats the problem with being an immigrant - one loses a sense of where one belongs.

Having said that, the English countryside will always have a very special place in my heart as will the people ... but I can't cope with renting in the UK so unless that changes, if I can cope with moving back to Canada I will.  However that may not work out either - there are no certainties in life.  But I think things in the UK have got really bad with the housing and I wonder what's going to happen in the future ... maybe there will be housing riots?  I can't help thinking that not everyone's kids are going to inherit their parents houses - and those houses might well end up paying care home fees anyway.  At some point maybe people who voted for the current government will realise that their kids are going to suffer with respect to housing?  I don't know.   

The alternative for me is to stay in the UK and rent a bedroom forever .... which I can't face at the moment.

I've moved around a bit and can definitely relate to this. I've also been very guilty of looking at some places through rose tinted spectacles and forgetting the bad bits, so thinking one place is perfect and another is the pits. It sounds like you realise that Canada isn't perfect, however if it offers you a lower cost of living and a more stable environment then I'd say it's worth a try.

That said I'm more cynical than others here - I'd say you need to assume that whilst people may offer help when the time comes they may not be in a position to do so. If they do then it's a lovely surprise, but I've found that you can't expect to move back somewhere and find everything has remained the same. The best advice I ever got was to always look at each move as if it was to somewhere totally new (even when it wasn't).

I'm sorry to come across as negative - I think you've made amazing progress, especially with the trip to London and the plans for another, and also with even thinking about going to Canada. I really hope you can make it work.

No you're right - this is why I'm wary - its a very busy culture and so I can't rely on people to step up for me.  Which is why I really need to be 100% well so that I can find work and accommodation quickly - even if it's just p/t work to begin with.

However, the alternative, being homeless in the UK as my savings go down and down, is not something I want to experience either ... and the housing situation is so bad here and only going to get worse and worse - it feels very much like a rock and a hard place at the moment to be on honest but I just keep taking a step and a day at a time.

Greenfields

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2015, 04:32:34 PM »

All those months of snow over there too to contend with  :o

A few years ago a friend sent me an e-mail to say that there had been 10 feet of snow overnight  ;D ………

The snow is beautiful! Seriously it's one of the things I miss ...

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2015, 09:00:06 PM »

OK if you are geared up for it  ;)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]