Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: diets  (Read 4976 times)

clio

diets
« on: July 05, 2015, 07:56:18 AM »

Hello ladies

Ive done weight watchers without success, i bought the ww pack with everything init and knew how it worked and what to do etc but it just dosnt suit me.  Ive been looking at the slimming world one which seems to suit alot of people, what I want to know is the pack that you can buy does it have everything in it to do it on your own??  Does is list what you can eat for the different days?  plus ive read that one brand may be ok but another is not so how would I know which one is ok??  Basically I dont want to join a group or do it online as im too tight to pay a fiver each week plus I prefer to do it privately on my own but need all the info, list of foods etc. 

Is there anyone doing slimming world that can help me buy the right info

Thanks

Clio

Dancinggirl

Re: diets
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 10:19:26 AM »

clio - the only diet that works for me is simply eating less and cutting out the biscuits, cakes and chocolate. If you use smaller plates and actively reduce what you eat at each meal permanently then this will give slow weight loss and should help maintain that weight loss.  The problem with most diets is that people loose the weight then go back to eating the way they used to. AS we get older we simply have to eat less.  Lots of brisk walking or swimming is also important to help keep muscle structure to support joints and help maintain bone density.
If you really want to follow a diet regime then maybe have a session with a nutritionist or dietician and have something drawn up that fits in with what you need and want.  The advantage of the clubs is that you are all in it together and the meetings motivate you to keep up the diet.  DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 12:43:51 PM »

My M in L had a daily calorie allowance and would cut up the amount of butter, cheese etc. each evening for the next day.  Once that was used up it was done! until the next day.  She came through the War so knew how to eat rations sensibly.

Like DG suggests: cut back, exercise more, keep hydrated …...

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 04:25:34 PM »

CKLD - you are right - the war time rationing threw up some good tips. When you see films from the 40s and 50s nobody is fat. DG x

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 04:43:11 PM »

Healthier than we ever was apparently  ::) - then sugar was taken off ration  >:(  :P

Now we have more hidden sugars.  Plus hidden fats.  Which is OK if 1 does a manual job every day, i.e. walking behind a couple of Shires and a plough  ;) or down the Mine ……

The trick is not to deprive oneself of 'treats'  ;)

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 06:59:56 PM »

For me being quite small every extra pound looks like two.

Since I was forty, weight has been as issue. It just sort of snuck up on me. I weighed myself one Xmas at my sisters and was nearly 10 st 8.

That was it. I was not prepared to be short....and fat.

I just cut out all biscuits, sugar, butter....and basically anything that put on the pounds. Now 14 years later I'm well under 9st although weight goes on really easily.
I just don't eat that much and I'm active. I've never joined any clubs I just cut down.

I think it's down to will power and not much else.  Not easy though.

Honeybun
X

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 07:03:43 PM »

Willpower & exercise is all that is required. No fancy diets, just less on your plate & less treats.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 08:24:24 PM »

Alter your eating habits.  When you eat.  How much. Where you sit and eat more slowly.  I find that if I wait for 25-20 mins. after my main meal I actually don't have 'room' for a pudding because the meal has gone to the point of no longer feeling hungry.  There's lots of nice fruit and veg. in the shops right now ……… we have got through a pound of cherries in 1 sitting, that's in about 30 mins.  :o