Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Been in hospital overnight with anaphylaxis  (Read 22698 times)

Annie0710

Been in hospital overnight with anaphylaxis
« on: June 13, 2015, 10:54:40 AM »

Had another anaphylactic reaction yesterday afternoon after pharmacist recommended MoviCol for my constipation, it came on within minutes of drinking it, as it happened OH was parking his van from work so I ran out to tell him I need to go to A&E, on the way I was getting worse and he said how surprised he was that it's getting worse after using an epipen , I then realised I hadn't used it ! Just grabbed my inhaler to help me breathe and ran out to him

Had to stay in overnight and had a mild reaction this morning but I've just got home with instructions to eat prunes, which I've just done

So more research needed now to see what's in it that caused it, its got to be related to latex or latex proteins somehow, I hope it's not something new I've developed an allergy to

Annie xx

Taz2

Re: Been in hospital overnight with anaphylaxis
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 11:06:46 AM »

How scary for you Annie. Keep that epipen handy!!!

It seems that MoviCol has anaphylaxis down as a side effect and you can report it under the Yellow Card scheme https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/1244  Scroll down to 4.8

Taz x

Limpy

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 11:45:45 AM »

Gosh Annie that must have been scary,
Take it you've stocked up on prunes?  ::)

Hope you recover soon.  :tulips2:

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 11:59:39 AM »

How scary for you Annie. Keep that epipen handy!!!

It seems that MoviCol has anaphylaxis down as a side effect and you can report it under the Yellow Card scheme https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/1244  Scroll down to 4.8

Taz x

I took the leaflet with me to hospital with me and they clipped something to it and asked to keep it saying they've never come across anyone reacting to it so maybe they will report it ?  When they did the nurse handover this morning they said I had had anaphylaxis to MoviCol so it seems they're agreeing although they can't not really as the reaction was as I left the kitchen from drinking it to sitting down in the lounge

OH bought tins of prunes, I've managed 9 from the first one then had enough, I haven't been since last Sunday and really cannot face another faecal impaction like I had last Saturday !

Annie xx

Annie0710

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 12:08:14 PM »

Something else that happened, I had terrible problems with my veins in A&E , blood pressure was very low they said (back to normal now) but first cannula wouldn't work in my right arm (I did forewarn them that it's not the best) so they put one in left, went to put in IV steroid and the pain was terrible, made my elbow really swell up bad, but said to leave it and it'll go down, put bp sleeve on right arm and immediately the failed cannula sight vein started swelling and bulging which made me feel so sick and they said it'll go down eventually, which it did after a few hours but during that they said the left Cannula site was showing signs of tissuing and said the steroids had probably gone in the cells not the vein ? So they removed the cannula and said they'd try another place if I needed it so I was left with 2 swollen elbows !

All is well now just both are badly bruised

Annie xx

Jenna

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 12:26:54 PM »

So sorry to hear this, Annie.

Would dried prunes be more palatable do you think? The sort you can just snack on - I actually like them myself!

By the way, did you see the product info I posted for you before stating that the Estring is a silicone elastomer (so not latex) - see Section 3:-   https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/1512

Do hope you will feel much better soon.

Jenna x

Annie0710

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 12:37:08 PM »

So sorry to hear this, Annie.

Would dried prunes be more palatable do you think? The sort you can just snack on - I actually like them myself!

By the way, did you see the product info I posted for you before stating that the Estring is a silicone elastomer (so not latex) - see Section 3:-   https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/1512

Do hope you will feel much better soon.

Jenna x

Ah thank you for that, and the wishes
I seem to be better since gynae said I could increase the vagifem but it's nice to know there is another latex free option

Annie xx

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 02:06:59 PM »

Scary stuff Annie! My brother has been refused epipen for his allergy, which is fish. They say so long as he doesn't eat it it's fine. Not fine when cross contamination occurs.

If it was latex in your medicine, it's time it was marked on it. Many have a latex allergy.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 02:27:14 PM »

I think you should fill in the Yellow Card too! do you need to visit your GP about this?  I would be speaking with the Pharmacist concerned as well!

:foryou:

If a product is known to cause allergic reaction then should it really be available  :-\

Annie0710

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 02:49:18 PM »

I will speak to pharmacist next week so at least they can mention it when advising it

I wasn't given any discharge papers today and usually I'm not called in to see GP after these reactions,

I wasn't offered an epipen until an anaphylactic whilst away at gt Yarmouth, they explained to ask GP for one along with the steroids

Maybe you need 2 or more reactions to get an epipen ?
I've still not used it on myself !

Annie xx

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 02:51:11 PM »

Nope.  An Epipen should be given if someone has an anaphylactic reaction!  Next time have yours to hand  ;)

It is something I will mention to my friend who is a Pharmacist too!

Annie0710

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 07:13:58 PM »

The first I had no one helped me work out what caused it and I only in the last 5 years got referred to an allergy clinic

I do have it on me but I was on my own yesterday then ran out to OH not thinking straight to get me to hospital

This was his first encounter with my anaphylaxis and now we are talking about if it happens again our plan, which will be if I'm alone just jab myself and call 999 or if he's with me he will jab me and if at home he can take me or else call 999

We are going to pretend to use it so we know without thinking next time !

Live n learn

Annie xx

Limpy

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 07:20:37 PM »

If you pretend to use it then you will both know what to do when it really matters.
Hopefully, it won't be necessary, but it would be daft not to practice. :hug:

robotwars

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 07:34:07 PM »

Wow! you should definitely use it if it happens again, we have a child with an epi-pen at school and we have used it a few times now, you should keep it with you at all times! We were trained on them with a fake one, we had to stab ourselves, it was amazing how easily it bruised! LOL - hope you feel better soon, look after yourself :)

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2015, 07:40:15 PM »

It goes into the thigh I believe?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4