Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Anxiety Hell  (Read 17923 times)

Greenfields

Re: Anxiety Hell
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2015, 05:35:29 PM »

I take utrogestan orally and have evorel patches - so its possible to take utrogestan orally - your Dr misinformed you.

In terms of anxiety, I've found it challenging. I do exercise and relaxation exercises and I also try to reframe the thoughts in my mind.

I don't know whether you know but my GP told me there is a link between a history of panic attacks and a susceptibility to them recurring at menopause - I hadn't had a panic attack for 20 years and then had one this year which I didn't recognise as an attack as it was so awful. 

When I was in my twenties/thirties, I was given beta blockers which helped a bit but while they physically calmed my body down, I found that I still had a mass of distressing thoughts in my head.  I got into yoga and meditation and the panic attacks disappeared - but I had a solid meditation practice when my menopausal stuff flared up - so hormonal anxiety is tricky.

I've also found acupuncture and massage helpful though for soothing my nervous system.

Hope you find something that works - its challenging.  I'm very sensitive to medications and so am reluctant to go down the AD route as the last one I tried (Sertraline 50mg) made me very very ill after 2 tablets! So I stopped.

Greenfields

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2015, 05:37:00 PM »

I took beta blockers for anxiety,palps,etc earlier this year when I too was desperate ,see my posts back then, I was convinced I had something terminal ! They did work but I didnt feel quite right on them ,but you could be fine .alot of ladies on here use them a slow release one at night might be useful. I opted in the end for a low ADs which is also good for insomnia immediately my anxiety,palps,etc went within a day and sleeping is much better too. But its your choice to find what suits you.

Which AD works for you?  Curious as it is something I am still considering - especially as I will be under a lot of stress if and when I'm able to move back to Canada.

Cwtch

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2015, 08:06:15 PM »

Many thanks for replies. Typical doctor giving misadvice seems I have bad luck with their advice over last few weeks as I've seen 3 different GP's all given different advice and put me on 3 different types of hrt! I'm going to stick with Estelle duet and hope for best. If anxiety continues to the extent I have experienced may have to consider ad's. Anything to get through the day.  Dazned your experience seems very similar to mine.  I have had a panic attack around 3 years ago due to a bereavement though. I haven't suffered from anxiety issues before first experience started out of the blue 5 weeks ago.

dazned

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2015, 08:16:24 PM »

I was on estelle duet with very good results for 4 years prior to this latest debacle so hopefully you will settle down . I think you should do/take whatever it takes to feel stable I can remember telling my GP that I would eat floor polish if it made me feel better! God knows what she thought and I don't really care  ;D also why floor polish came to mind I have no idea ! Never polished a floor and don't intend to !  ;)

Cwtch

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2015, 05:21:12 AM »

That's very reassuring I will stick at the Estelle duet I'm taking my first tablet this morning.  What you describe is exactly how I feel. I just want to be back to my old self but at the moment can't ever see that happening. I know I have to think positively but it is so difficult.  It is so unlike me as I am usually a very positive person.

Cwtch

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2015, 05:33:39 AM »

Dazned did you start taking the AD's when you started the estelle duet ? Also what type of AD's do you take? I am so nervous of taking them as others have said they feel detached or had adverse side effects. Thanks

groundhog

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2015, 09:13:41 AM »

Hi Cwtch - love the name,  take it you are Welsh?
I'm on Prozac - I'm having a crisis at the moment with my health and my mother - see other thread if you dare - I was in 20mg Prozac but am increasing to 40.  I don't wnt to but I can't function owing to crippling anxiety and negative thoughts.  I can't say I have any real side effects at least I didn't on the 20 mg.  I really have no choice but to try the increase though in the hope they help lift me a little xx

karenja

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2015, 08:29:33 PM »

Hi Cwtch I suffer from anxiety worst since meno, I'm welsh too x

dazned

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2015, 05:41:01 AM »

No I didn't take it with the estelle duet as I settled in a couple of months on that ,I started earlier this year whilst trying to find a new regime to suit me equally as well. I now have 15 mg mirtazapine .

Cwtch

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2015, 06:44:24 AM »

Thanks for reply. I'm going to try to see gp again today as was advised to by emergency doctor. I will have to be patient and wait for my body to adjust to taking the Estelle duet and hope it settles the anxiety attacks.  I can cope with everything else but the anxiety makes me feel like I am having a nervous breakdown. It just feel so out of control at the moment.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2015, 02:19:05 PM »

Discuss the anxiety at your appt., there are plenty of medications that can help on an 'as necessary' basis  ;)

Cwtch

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2015, 04:09:05 PM »

Thanks for reply. I saw gp today (a different one again!) Feel like moving into surgery! She has prescribed Estelle duet for 3 months and I'm OK with that given the success I had on the first month I took it. Just wished I hadn't switched but went with doctors advice at the time...  I talked about AD's and she suggested trying Estelle duet for a few weeks first. I am happy with this and have everything crossed that it will work. I also have to get blood tests done this week to check thyroid etc.   I can totally understand the need to use ad's and will consider it if this doesn't work. Anything to get some control over the anxiety. She did say I may get dips as hormones adjust hopefully not but I am hoping for more up than down days.

CLKD

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2015, 08:22:12 PM »

Thanks for the update!  Do you practice relaxation therapy or Yoga?  Both can teach good breathing techniques as can singing!  A brisk walk can dissipate anxiety: skipping? 

Cwtch

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2015, 08:58:03 PM »

Hi I run, walk and go to the gym. I am planning on taking up Pilates with my daughter when she finishes her exams - if I can fit it in! I have got a relaxation CD & should listen to it more often. I am thinking it would be better to get up when I wake in the night.

CLKD

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2015, 11:00:42 PM »

If I wake anxious I try the whole body relaxation technique starting from my toes: tense the muscle groups and relax : all the way up the body. Makes me ache the next morning if I've done it properly  ::)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4