Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Vaccination and Immunisation  (Read 3875 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Vaccination and Immunisation
« on: September 12, 2015, 03:21:38 PM »

can anyone explain what the difference is  :-\ we were watching a programme about Edward Jenner and cow pox and I still don't understand it  ::)

Limpy

Re: Vaccination and Immunisation
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 05:47:25 PM »

It occurred to me that injections aren't always involved, some vaccinations were administered via sugar lumps, so off to Wikipedia

"Vaccination is the administration of antigenic material (a vaccine) to stimulate an individual's immune system to develop adaptive immunity to a pathogen."

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 06:08:03 PM »

Thanks.  Why do cats/dogs require annual boosters  :-\ ? when humans don't in general unless they are travelling to countries where disease is rife?

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 06:13:53 PM »

It is known that dogs in particular can have adverse reactions to their first jabs  :'( [what vets don't tell you about vaccinations]. 

I never understood the difference between 'live' and not jabs either  ::)

Limpy

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 06:16:31 PM »

Thanks.  Why do cats/dogs require annual boosters  :-\ ? when humans don't in general unless they are travelling to countries where disease is rife?

Just guessing - Some pathogens can change over time?

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 07:14:06 PM »

I have not got a clue but having watched a pup die of distemper I would never chance that happening to mine....so every year and my little one is 13 this year ....I turn up for her boosters.
One of my best friends is a vet....my question to her was...do you have your dogs immunised. The answer was yes....so if it's good enough for her dog then it's good enough for mine.

I asked my GP the same question with regards to MMR. We had kids of the same age...she got her children immunised and I was convinced I was doing the right thing.
My sons MMR was not hugely successful and he had what was considered to be mild measles...I have never seen him so ill. I got him done again.

My neice who is pregnant ....this week is getting a whooping cough vaccine and also a polio booster.

We are so very lucky in this country with what we have offered to us and....I'm going to get shot down here...but who cares.....any parent who does not have their child vaccinated should feel shame.

Ok mega rant over  ::)

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 07:16:13 PM »

Unless there are complications.  After age about 9/10 pets shouldn't require boostering.  Their immune systems should be OK by that age.  When my pet was undergoing chemotherapy she was due her boosters and the Vet. told me to forget about them. 

It took several years for Jenner's immunisation suggestions to be accepted by the medical profession.   Anyone been to the Museum?

Limpy

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 07:35:25 PM »

Er, so it's not necessary to be immunised against Polio?
Or Smallpox, yes, I can see that's easily fought off.

What about Rubella, that's another one that's not a problem, except for the for woman who happens tp be pregnant and encounters somebody with german measles.

Re Jenner's ideas on immunisation taking several years to be accepted by the medical profession - that was 1796 - not surprised it took time, things may have progressed a bit since then  ::)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 07:53:28 PM by Limpy »

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 07:39:18 PM »

I was talking about pets Limpy  ::)

I had all the childhood diseases apart from mumps ……. apparently I had German measles without being aware; we did have strawberry rash one Summer so that might have been it, but it shows on blood tests that I did have a dose.  I don't know of anyone who suffered complications although we didn't have media coverage in the same way.  Polio was rife when I was growing up so several children in School had callipers etc.. 

Smallpox is 'dead' fortunately, apart from the 2 samples kept 'for research purposes' ……..

Since getting rid of many of these disease however, things like HIV-Aids and [brain fade here] the 1 which was killing people earlier this year  :-\

My original query is: what the difference means in the terminology. 

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 07:50:19 PM »

Anyone who has had a child with measles or whooping cough would be beating down a doctors door to fix things.
My neice had whooping cough as a baby. She was not vaccinated as in those days you had to have a family medical background and as she wad adopted there was no choice ...not to have her done. She was so very ill. I helped look after her to give my sister some sleep. It was horrible.

Sorry CLKD ...your vet probably told you no vaccinations as it would have been too much for a dog undergoing chemotherapy to tolerate. Not much point  :-\

As for other dogs.....yes very worth while. Parvovirus and distemper are still there and killers....why take a chance when there is no need.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2015, 07:53:23 PM »

My 3 cousins had whooping cough all at the same time [1966].  It really is a 'whoop'  :o …….. no vaccinations for it then.  My nephews didn't get it due to some medical issue on their Father's side …….

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2015, 07:57:51 PM »

Yep whoop and then they are sick. Makes having a healthy child very hard, they don't keep much down.

The reason my niece is having a whooping cough vaccine in the latter weeks of her pregnancy is because it's on the increase again and if she has it then her immunity passes to baby for long enough until he can have his own immunisation. Same with polio. Hubby and I were both given polio  vaccines just after our kids had theirs as it passes out of the body and into nappies  :o
Heck it tastes bad and makes you feel rough.

Honeybun
X

Scampi

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 07:22:37 AM »

CLKD - the difference is lost in the mists of time, and is quite complicated!  The term 'vaccination' originally appeared because Jenner used cowpox (vacca meaning cow) to immunise against smallpox.

If you look up 'innoculation' on Wikipedia, there's a pretty comprehensive explanation of the terms 'innoculation', 'vaccination' and 'immunisation'.  If you're interested it's worth a read.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 06:04:58 PM »

:thankyou:  I did try to read it ……. however meno-brain couldn't take it in!