Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Lactose intolerance/sensitivity in peri?  (Read 6222 times)

Lactose intolerance/sensitivity in peri?
« on: May 23, 2015, 08:44:09 PM »

Aside from other options, I'm starting to wonder about whether I could have become sensitive to lactose all of a sudden? This could happen during peri, as far as I've read? Anyone has experience with this? Tonight I had garlic bread with butter, cheese on pasta, ice cream, yoghurt and a big glass of milk. The milk was lactosefree, but not the rest. I ended up having to go to the bathroom twice after this with loose stools, gas and stomach pain. Could obviously be a coincidence/something else I ate earlier....

Joyce

Re: Lactose intolerance/sensitivity in peri?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 08:53:34 PM »

Every sympathy with that one! I've suffered for about 15 years. Probably had before then, but took me a while to figure it out. I've got used to it over the years. GP told me to get lactase tablets which I use from time to time.  Handy when out having a meal, just in case. I even struggle with lactose free cheese etc if I take too much. Small quantities are fine.

Try dropping all dairy for 2 weeks, then add in small quantities. Then you'll know.

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 09:17:06 PM »

Try dropping all dairy for 2 weeks, then add in small quantities. Then you'll know.

As in not even using lactose free products? Completely milk/dairy free?

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 09:39:59 PM »

Completely dairy free. It's blooming hard, I know, as I've done it. You could swap for several alternatives. I loathe Soya, so now buy fresh coconut milk, not the stuff in tins. But there's almond too. 

It'll give your guts a rest in the meantime. It could be that you just overdid it with dairy produce, though. Try thinking back, maybe there were signs & you didn't realise it. Heck I was given all sorts of undignified hospital procedures as nobody could figure it out. All were clear. Only then did it twig with me.

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 09:56:39 PM »

I have to shop tomorrow. Oat "milk" is pretty decent, so I guess I'll pick that up. Along with dairyfree "butter".... I LOVE real butter.... :(

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 09:59:40 PM »

By the way, what have your symptoms been? Were they "typical" or different (since the doctors didn't figure it out)?

Dandelion

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 10:44:16 PM »

I have to shop tomorrow. Oat "milk" is pretty decent, so I guess I'll pick that up. Along with dairyfree "butter".... I LOVE real butter.... :(
Does oatmilk go on cereal, in tea and in coffee.
I hated the other milks in tea and coffee, rice, almond, soya etc
Soya was ok on cerreal

I've got IBS since perimeno, sorted mostly now by hrt, but had bad diarrhoea, and was diagnosed wheat intolerant.
I've probably always been wheat intolerant, cos, even when I was 7 1/2 stone, standing 5 feet 5 inches tall, I still always had a sticky out pot belly.
Could have been wheat belly.

I tried going without wheat and it was expensive, same with dairy.
I get a permanently runny nose, all my life, but when I stopped dairy it dried up.
That must mean I had some allergy to dairy. I still use wheat and dairy, naughty, but cheaper.

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 10:53:05 PM »

Oat milk tastes good on porridge st least. It tastes like....well....oats.... ;) Also it supposedly is great for baking.

Wanderer

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 09:24:23 AM »

Ha 20032003! What a coincidence! For nearly 4 years post menopause, I have become intolerant to a lot of things, spicy food, red meat, chocolate and dairy products, ESPECIALLY ice cream sadly! All give gurgling, nausea and bloating along with constipation! I have been trying lactofree milk and it definitely has helped with bloating, but yesterday succumbed to a "whippy" ice-cream by the beach, and oh, I did suffer!

I know that there are many IBS experts on the site, and they will help I am sure, but I definitely agree that our bodies become intolerant to EVERYTHING at this stage!! But WHY!!!!!!

WANDERER xxxx

Chocolatechaos

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 11:48:13 AM »

I have had on/off diarrhoea for a while which has got worse with perimenopause. Oral HRT was changed to transdermal because of this and the morning hormone dips. HRT has helped as well as reducing milk and dairy intake. Last summer I had awful indigestion, bloating, wind and on/off diarrhoea which I realise now was probably after eating ice cream, with kids this is all too tempting! Likewise eating cereal with milk crucified me. Anyway I have now switched to soya milk, soya cheese or very mature cultured types, Swedish glace instead of ice cream and Alpo yogurts etc. I have seen some improvement in my loose bowels so have come off colofac and reduced the Imodium usage. Incidentally my hayfever has escalated in the last couple of years too.