Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: toe nail fungus  (Read 12766 times)

SueRoe

Re: toe nail fungus
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 04:33:51 PM »

I've heard that GPs are reluctant to (or won't) prescribe treatments for nail fungus anymore. The oral tablets can affect your liver and the paint-on treatments take forever to work (if they do work). Also the fungal spores are in our shoes, carpets etc so re-infection is pretty well inevitable. The advice to paint toenails with a dark nail varnish seems to be the best practical advice. Sorry!

Taz2

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 04:44:39 PM »

That advice is ok until the fungus begins to destroy the nail itself  :(

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 04:58:52 PM »

It needs sorting!  Speak to a Pharmacist for advice?

Taz2

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 06:00:26 PM »

I tried all of the painting on thingies and in the end the doctor gave up and told me to just varnish over it - about three years ago now I think. Of course it spread gradually to all of the nails and two of them are disappearing. I didn't want to take the tablets as I react to lots of things and the GP wasn't keen on them either. Lots about it here http://www.patient.co.uk/health/fungal-nail-infections-leaflet

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 09:04:33 PM »

I haven't seen the adverts relating to nail fungus lately ………… it was enough to put me off supper  ::) and fungus is known to spread - spores like fungi of course.  Mycil was the powder 'of the day'!

Taz2

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2015, 11:53:45 AM »

Thanks Prajna - sadly it didn't work for me.

Taz x

SueRoe

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2015, 02:41:44 PM »

How did you use the cider vinegar prajna? How bad was the infection - crumbly ruined nail or just getting started? How long did the vinegar take to work? Many thanks

Taz2

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2015, 03:27:00 PM »

Might try the mouthwash next! http://www.top10homeremedies.com/how-to/how-to-get-rid-of-toenail-fungus.html  :)

It takes as long as the nail takes to grow out normally. It can take a year for a toenail to totally grow from base to tip. Now and again mine has got better while on a long course of antibiotics for something else.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2015, 04:14:53 PM »

It will Taz but won't get rid of the under-lying condition which is a fungus = mushrooms, which thrive in damp conditions.  Mycil powder.  Anything that will kill the fungus but keep the toe dry.  If the nail bed is damaged then it will take longer to sort the problem.  How about a verruca paint?

Taz2

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2015, 05:27:06 PM »

No I used it neat. I tried the stuff from the doctors for eighteen months and then the tea tree and then the cider vinegar. I've covered them up. Left them uncovered. Varnished them and unvarnished them. What started off seven years ago with one toe has now spread to all of them on one foot and one on the other foot. I'm ok in the winter when they are all covered up in public it's just in the summer I really have a look at them and despair!! I haven't treated them at all for the last two years.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2015, 05:48:24 PM »

The condition thrives in damp conditions so wearing socks and boots/wellies will encourage the fungus to spread. 

Thinking laterally, it's a 'thrush'-type chronic condition: have you tried one of the products for that?

BrightLight

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2015, 07:13:36 PM »

Really recommend a trip to a chiropodist that can show you how to keep them clean. It's not nice but if you remove the 'debris', continue with the tea tree and let the air get to them, it will take time but I'm certain things will improve.

I had to scrape the sides of the nails, file down the thickened nail and generally keep removing the affected crumbly material. Eventually the fungus 'lost its grip'. I also only used the same towel to clean feet with and patted them dry, if you rub I was told it sends the fungus deeper.

On another note, drinking apple cider vinegar might take care of any candida you might have in your system that might contribute to the happy home for fungus. :) it's a real pain to deal with
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 11:20:52 PM by BrightLight »

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2015, 08:01:46 PM »

My Mum has drunk diluted apple cider vinegar for years …….

BrightLight

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2015, 11:21:12 PM »

My Mum has drunk diluted apple cider vinegar for years …….

Yes, it's a cure all............... :)

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2015, 03:35:13 PM »

As is honey  ;) but I wouldn't dunk my toes in to a pot, would rather drink it: talking of 'pots', have you tried soaking toes in urine?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4