Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: Emitophobia  (Read 56487 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Emitophobia
« Reply #180 on: March 03, 2017, 03:47:58 PM »

Sufferers can find out more about the condition, and meet like-minded people online. Resources include NHS Choices, Anxiety UK's emetophobia page, the Emetophobia.org forum and several Facebook groups.

CLKD

« Reply #181 on: May 16, 2017, 10:31:07 AM »

Anxious this morning so of course I'm queasy and my head aches ....... I'm going for a pedicure for goodness sake  :sigh: :kick:

CLKD

« Reply #182 on: June 02, 2017, 05:05:58 PM »

I have today sent an e-mail to Macmillan regarding this current TV advert. which shows a man ........  :-X.  I have asked them to remove this section of the advert. as it adds nowt to the over-all message.

I object to large organisations spending public monies on TV/other media advertising  - Donkey Sanctuary and Dogs Trust have spent monies in this way and I don't think it's wise use of what the public hand over for.

If anyone else who suffers please send an e-mail objecting about this advert..

babyjane

« Reply #183 on: June 02, 2017, 05:06:44 PM »

not seen the advert  :-\

Mbrown001

« Reply #184 on: June 02, 2017, 05:14:20 PM »

Me neither.
I guess it shows someone being sick.

I just don't look when that is on TV.

If you know it's going to happen CLKD then change channels. I do sympathise but I do always tell myself it's no more real than an action movie when someone gets shot or worse. Sometimes it kind of de sensitise things.

Mrs Brown

CLKD

« Reply #185 on: June 02, 2017, 05:37:22 PM »

It's un-necessary though  :-\ and it isn 't always easy to flip through the channels as they show short clips  :'(

Mbrown001

« Reply #186 on: June 02, 2017, 06:28:25 PM »

Just try and remember. It's not real they are just acting.

Look away if you can. Not nice but we are in the minority I think. Most people are neither up nor down.

Mrs Brown

Taz2

« Reply #187 on: June 02, 2017, 06:29:21 PM »

Although I can see that this is upsetting for you CLKD ( :hug:) if everyone's phobias were taken into account then the tv channels and the advertisers would be really restricted in what they can show?

Taz x 

CLKD

« Reply #188 on: June 02, 2017, 06:45:12 PM »

No support here then ..........

Mbrown001

« Reply #189 on: June 02, 2017, 07:10:17 PM »

Oh CLKD, it's not a case of no support at all.

We sufferers really understand but as Taz says there are so many differing phobias out there where do you start without upsetting someone.

All I can suggest is just turn away and keep telling yourself it's simply acting.

Horrible though  :bighug:

Mrs Brown

Taz2

« Reply #190 on: June 02, 2017, 11:14:38 PM »

I didn't mean to sound unsupportive CLKD - sorry.

I think you are talking about the "A Dad with Cancer is still a Dad" advert. Difficult though it is to watch at times, and having supported too many friends through cancer, Macmillan are about helping people carry on their normal lives while suffering from this frightening disease. It brings home the fact that even though you are suffering awful side effects such as vomiting, diarrhoea, total exhaustion etc. with help from charities such as Macmillan, you can carry on being the person you have always been even through the most terrible of times. The others in the series don't have any vomiting as far as I can remember and do really make you think.

It is only people acting out a scene on these short adverts but, for lots of people, it is the reality of their daily lives.

Taz x  :-\

DaisyB

« Reply #191 on: June 03, 2017, 06:34:27 AM »

CLKD - I haven't paid much attention to the Ad before now - that said this is a dreadful phobia and I feel for you. I used to deliver awareness training and one of the areas covered was phobias. My eyes were opened to the suffering of individuals to some of the most bizarre, but life changing, phobias disclosed in the sessions. Have you tried any therapy specifically for this?? I do understand your distress and how it has shaped your decisions in life -

My friend has a phobia of balloons - people think that's hilarious, but as she's no children and only nieces it had a massive impact on her ability to join in on family parties etc

It's not the phobia that's the problem......it's the impact it has on your quality of life.

My mum is claustrophobic- years ago i read a book called 'feel the fear and do it anyway,' full of good intentions I coaxed her to get into a lift ( it was all glass and only went up one floor) stupid me thinking that would make a difference !! Well incredibly the lift stuck. Took just 5 mins to get us out. She was in full panic mode and I never tried that again.
She now struggles with severe arthritis and heart problems - my dad has been in hospital and she has walked umpteen floors twice a day to his ward.

Believe me when I say I totally get it. I will send an email to McMillan asking them to reconsider this Ad - given how distressing that scene can be for some people. (Send me a specific email address if you have one)

I think we have entered an era where tv and all that's spewed out of it no longer considers respect, dignity, diplomacy etc etc those days are long gone I'm afraid. Now it's a competition to be as graphic as the advertising authorities will permit!

Take care

DaisyB x

babyjane

« Reply #192 on: June 03, 2017, 02:41:12 PM »

Phobias can be irrational and illogical to those who do not suffer from them.  Real phobia goes far deeper than fear or dread and does not respond to reason.

I don't think the issue here is the advert or even the phobia, it is about the trigger.  The trigger is at the base of a phobia and it is avoidance of the trigger that makes it possible to live with the phobia.  It is not as simple as looking away or changing the channel as once the trigger is in your head it is there and the sights and sounds get out of all proportion.

My husband is afraid of heights and rats and if he sees images of either on TV it takes him a long time to get the images out of his head as they play round and round like a video on a loop. With emitophobia it is not just the image but the sounds that will produce a trigger for the affected person.

Please don't make light of this even if you find it hard to understand or appreciate.

Taz2

« Reply #193 on: June 03, 2017, 02:47:52 PM »

I don't think anyone has made light of it babyjane but it is very difficult to take into account everyone's different phobias when putting out adverts or programmes on tv and any other media.

Taz x  :hug:

babyjane

« Reply #194 on: June 03, 2017, 02:59:48 PM »

I agree with your point Taz2 but to say 'turn away and tell yourself it is just acting' really doesn't help.

If there is a programme about something that is likely to be a trigger you can choose not to watch it but adverts pop up in the middle of programmes and you never know what you are going to get.  Once it's been seen it is too late and the phobic can only hope for some damage limitation.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15