Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Insomnia  (Read 9604 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Insomnia
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 05:35:43 PM »

I never have problems sleeping if I've had a nap in the day time.  Last night however, I was ages dropping off ……. I was on here until 11.30., then I needed a wee, then my mind got going over 'stuff' and I knew we were getting up early again  ::)

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2015, 07:16:48 PM »

I'm just like you CLKD. The first 2-3 times I suffered with insomnia (genuinely didn't sleep a wink all night) I was terrified. I didn't know what on Earth was happening to me? How would I possibly get through the next day at work? At 3am it honestly felt like the end of the world and I would be filled with panic.

Of course NOTHING actually happened. Okay I didn't fall asleep. But I still got up the next morning. I went into work feeling crap. I felt crap all day. I didn't die and the world didn't end. The next night I would usually sleep normally again, or if my insomnia lasted 2 nights I would definitely sleep (pass out with exhaustion) on the third night.

So the 4th and 5th time I had insomnia I was sort of more resigned to it. It was still grim, but the extreme fear/panic had gone because I knew from experience that life would still go on regardless. I would go regardless.

More recently when I have insomnia I just get up quietly. Pop downstairs and get myself a snack and a drink and collect a book then I go and get in bed in the guest bedroom. I get comfy and nibble my snack and read my book and pretend that I'm camping.

I had insomnia at the weekend. So I did the usual and went and 'camped' in the guest bedroom. I actually eventually fell to sleep around 3am and got 4 hours sleep! I think this is because I'm far more nonchalant about insomnia now and it has lost it's power to frighten me so much anymore.

honeybun

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2015, 10:02:11 PM »

I don't think I have actually gone a whole night with no sleep at all. I have felt as if I did but I suspect I napped at some points.

Why do the night time hours seem so very very long. And why could I cope so much better with little sleep when my kids were young and needing fed every couple of hours.
Remember those days....up all night with a little one and then still having to get up and get another out to school.

Guess that's what being young and fit does for you  ::)

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2015, 03:57:44 PM »

I have had 2 nights with no sleep due to dreadful situations.  The first was due to shock  :'( …….

I woke in the early hours with my mind having it's own party ……..  >:( - eventually dropped off again.  I love falling asleep in the bath, until the water turns cold  ;D

Katejo

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2015, 06:23:10 PM »

On a recent holiday I was sharing a twin room with my friend. After the first night, both of us were convinced that we had hardly slept a wink but that the other one had slept right through and snored a bit too!   ;) I usually get off to sleep but then wake up around 2.30-3am and can't get back to sleep. I always find that anything which is bothering or worrying me at the time seems ten times worse during the night. By the following morning i feel more relaxed about it.

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2015, 07:54:52 PM »

That was several years ago.  I still wake with a jolt at the memories though  :'( …… some things never really go away and have the ability to wake me ……..

Off for my bath soon ……. warmth, bubbles, good book

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2015, 07:58:07 PM »

The effects from those incidences left their mark ……. in the day I'm OK but at night  ::) not every night fortunately.

honeybun

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2015, 09:37:49 PM »

Those times are for the box in my head that's filled with things I don't want to think about.

It takes a lot of practice to have a box that works but once you get the hang of it it works really well.

Honeybun
X

babyjane

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2015, 11:38:44 AM »

Thank you for these posts, most of which were made last week whilst I was away.  It is reassuring that this insomnia is normal, nasty but normal.  It really got me down in holiday but I always sleep better in my own home in my own bed, not well but better.

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2015, 02:08:08 PM »

I can fill the box Honeybun  :-\ but the lid won't stay down.

I slept heavily all night but oh those dreams  ::)  ;D

honeybun

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2015, 02:22:09 PM »

Took me a long while to close that lid CLKD but it can be done.

Things in there that I don't want to think about......so I don't.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2015, 02:23:42 PM »

It's as I am dropping off to sleep that the lid pops open  >:( ……. then I can be awake again, dwelling  :-\ when I drop straight off I am OK!
Pages: 1 [2]