Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Hi - glad I found this forum  (Read 2941 times)

Miriam

Hi - glad I found this forum
« on: June 03, 2015, 11:44:39 AM »

Hello! I've been reading through the forum over the last week & prior to this, I'd thought my syptoms were unique. I'm pleased to read I'm not alone - although my sympathies go our to you all.
I'm 47 & for the last 8 years things have been slowly changing for me. I had a scan a few years ago for suspected ovarian cyst but it turned out I have fibroids whch is why my periods are so heavy for the 1ss time in my life. However 18months ago inertcourse became very painful - unbearable burning. This then spread to feeling as though I had thrush. Anyhow the result was finally after manyswabs etc I was prescribed ovestin. This worked for about 8 months & Now it has no effect. By then I, d had to change GPs  & the one I saw after ruling out any infection again, just said keep using ovestin. BUT IT DOESN'T WORK!!!!!
My clitoris is a bit over sensitive, my cycles getting longer then shorter, night sweats, dizzy spells & my vagina is burning making even sitting hard at times unless I'm carefull not to put pressurein that area. So I presume I'm perimenopause? I will make an appointment to see the senior female GP - I just want the burning to go at the moment. My poor hubby is so patient, but will I be able to be pain free?

peegeetip

Re: Hi - glad I found this forum
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 01:44:55 PM »

You need to get onto HRT. The ovestin is sometimes enough for some of us however others survive on tablet/gel/patch HRT. Others with need both tablet/gel/patch and a local option.

If you leave it longer then the worse it will get and the time to getting back to normal or as near normal will be longer.

I take a 1mg estradiol based HRT and it took me 6 months + to get almost back to normal down there. Luckily I don't need local option yet but I'm open to adding that when I need it.

Hope that helps
 :-*
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 01:50:10 PM by peegeetip »

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 03:07:33 PM »

Hi Miriam

:welcomemm:

I agree with peegeetip

If your cycles are becoming irregular and you are missing periods as well as getting those symptoms of sweats in addition to the vag problems then sounds like you might benefit from starting HRT. In very early peri - it may be that a low dose will help, and you might need local oestrogen as well.  I am one who has both although like you I started on Esatriol pessaries alone, then went onto (patch) HRT (only), and later needed the local oestrogen too which I have been on for several years. Now 62.

There is also a thread called "The Burning Club" for others who are suffering as you do which might have some useful info. I'll try to find it and bump it for you!

Hurdity x

ancient runner

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 03:21:20 PM »

Ovestin is a very low dose and I think can make you uncomfortable. You could try the Estring which gives around 50mcg of oestrogen to your bits a week compared with probably 20 mcg on the Ovestin dose you're getting? The Estring is a latex ring which you pop up inside and it releases oestrogen slowly over 3 months before you need to replace it. That might help - but you might well need a systemic HRT plus something local.

Miriam

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 09:24:43 PM »

Thank you for replying ladies. I was hoping to avoid HRT due to being scared of the cancer implications. A friend of mine has just had surgery for breast cancer after her years on HRT. The trouble is it is getting worse & after the 1st GP giving me no more help, I thought it was something I was stuck with. It's getting me down now. I'll make sure I do my reasearh into HRT here. I really do appreciate you all.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 02:15:41 PM »

What HRT did you friend have?  The Ovestin is very low dose and is local so there is little chance that the up-take will go further than the vaginal region.  I had breast disease but when my GP offered me Ovestin for vaginal atrophy - the feeling of razor blades up there was impossible to live with  :-\ - I took it!  Now I can keep those symptoms under control.  I have found though that the day after I use the product I feel slight return of symptoms that goes after 24 hours.

Read the menus, top of screen, make notes!  Browse round …...