Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: 30-minute hot flush anyone?  (Read 1969 times)

ancient runner

30-minute hot flush anyone?
« on: April 20, 2015, 01:16:51 PM »

For the past couple of weeks I've woken up in the middle of the night boiling hot over my back and head - and stayed that way for at least half an hour. No sweating, doesn't go fast, can't get back to sleep till it all calms down. Skin feels normal temperature to the touch. Really odd. Anyone else have anything like this?
My VA symptoms seem to be kicking off again despite Estring and I seem to have period pain and spotting almost every day. Not much compared with some of you but I am getting a bit grumpy, mostly about the returning VA...

Dancinggirl

Re: 30-minute hot flush anyone?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 02:08:52 PM »

That sounds like the type of night sweats/ night hots I get when not on HRT. 
I'm back on systemic HRt with Vagifem once a week as I found the Estring didn't keep things under control all the time and I kept getting thrush.  I assume you are still peri meno so I expect your oestrogen levels are dropping so more meno symptoms are emerging.
Could be time to consider full HRT?  DG x

ancient runner

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 03:56:54 PM »

Much what I am thinking Dancinggirl, but on the other hand in the scheme of things (compared to other people) the current state isn't too bad. Before I put in my previous Estring I'd had a bad few months so did a Vagifem re-load first which worked a treat. Wondering if I should for the time being fish out the Estring, reload, then pop it back.
though I probably should start reading up on possible doses of HRT. Yes, peri, last proper period 5 or 6 weeks ago but been bleeding most of the time a little since then, with frequent period cramps.
If this happened to men... well, I dread to think.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 05:26:53 PM »

Hi ancient runner
Your plan to do a reload of Vagifem and then the Estring sounds sensible.
AS for the hot flushes at night - it's worth thinking about the bedding you use e.g. thinner duvet, pure cotton etc.
I'm using a 2.5 duvet and still get too hot even with full HRT!!!!!
As you are getting some problematic and erratic bleeding, a Mirena might be a good option for you as this would eventually stop all bleeding and you can then use as little or as much oestrogen in gel or patch form as you need.
If you would prefer straight forward combined pills then Femoston is very popular as the progesterone is kinder and closer to our natural hormones. A low dose (1/10) at this stage might do the trick for you.
Keep us posted.  DG x

ancient runner

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 09:15:53 AM »

Thanks DG for considered and very helpful advice as always. It's such a bugger, all this. Now I'd got running again I'd just like my undercarriage back and would probably trade that for a different symptom (until I got that, of course - then I'd start moaning!)